Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:58:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt.Gox is full of shit, got to go.  (Read 1486 times)
SomeWhere (OP)

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:46:43 PM
Last edit: April 11, 2013, 06:47:49 AM by SomeWhere

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rofloflo

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:49:43 PM

Someone lost big in this hyperbole I can see.

Welcome to trading in a real free market with no regulations.

What alternative exchange do you recommend sir ? The shady Russian one at BTC-E ?

Honestly this post is a farce.....
k22k

Activity: 51

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:51:43 PM

They are not lying about using Prolexic:

http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=a%3amtgox.com#

Code:
ptr:72.52.5.67  ptr
Type IP Address Domain Name TTL
PTR 72.52.5.67 unknown.prolexic.com 24 hrs

But that doesn't mean Prolexic can stop the attack fully either. And just because Prolexic say within 20 minutes it's going through their scrubbing centres may not mean anything.

It would be interesting/nice to see some attack details in terms of botnet and bandwidth size.

Looking at the volume of trades which doesn't seem out of this world, I would think there is a scalability issue which is complicated when a DDoS attack occurs.
omgitsmehehe

Activity: 580
Merit: 108

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:53:19 PM

Do you really believe what Wikipedia says. You know that online encyclopaedia that anyone can edit?

log2exp

Activity: 176
Merit: 114

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:55:02 PM

Long term, we need distributed exchanges.

For the short term, staying with MtGox, may the following rules help curb the DDOS attempts?

- limit number of trade executions within a specific time frame, AND
- trader must trade minimum $1 in fiat or equivalent in BTC
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:03:59 AM

Do you really believe what Wikipedia says. You know that online encyclopaedia that anyone can edit?

You mean that one website that keeps changing my edits about Charlie Sheen from "Half man, half cocaine," to something actually factual?

Yeah I hate those guys.  No sense of humor.

juice

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:09:28 AM

api flood?
its not a bug its a feature!
alkhdaniel

Activity: 114

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:14:13 AM

You mean that one website that keeps changing my edits about Charlie Sheen from "Half man, half cocaine," to something actually factual?

Yeah I hate those guys.  No sense of humor.
There is a difference between Charlie Sheen and a company very few people know about. There are not many people who care about prolexic enough to prove that their claims of never failing to stop DDoSes are true. (Until today)
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:19:04 AM

There is a difference between Charlie Sheen and a company very few people know about. There are not many people who care about prolexic enough to prove that their claims of never failing to stop DDoSes are true. (Until today)

I believe you're right.  I believe I've seen people ask others to write Wikipedia articles about themselves for cash.  I don't doubt they'll want to look good.

However, the rumor that Wikipedia is completely full of shit is much too popular Tongue

alkhdaniel

Activity: 114

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:23:33 AM

I believe you're right.  I believe I've seen people ask others to write Wikipedia articles about themselves for cash.  I don't doubt they'll want to look good.

However, the rumor that Wikipedia is completely full of shit is much too popular Tongue
I agree Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: