Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:41:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: For the "Long-Haulers"  (Read 703 times)
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:50:45 PM

First of all, keep in mind this is the speculation thread. I would love to debate with anyone. But please, let us refrain from personal attacks on eachother.

Not even two weeks ago people were debating whether or not the bitcoin was going to break $100. And since that time it's gotten up to (give/take)$240. The bitcoin market is hands down the most volatile market there has probably never been. No one knows what caused this most recent crash dip (even though you'll hear about a million opinions), but nobody knew what was causing the recent rise, either. The truth is bitcoins are just becoming more mainstream, which means they'll get bigger. I'm not surprised at the rate it's happening. Think about how organized crime could utilize bitcoins. Anonymous, tax free, no central agent, etc. Even if the government were to enact legislation regarding bitcoins, it wouldn't be effective (think copyrights and song/music downloads). The intrinsic value of bitcoins comes from its utilities, mentioned above. I don't know if you've heard it but there's a term: "Bitoin:Too Big To Fail". Now, if you want my opinion on why this price drop happened, it's probably only one or a few agents acting (because the majority of bitcoins are held by only a few entities) purposely manipulating the market. They probably sold a bunch of coins (to themselves) for a very low price, causing a panic (think Great Depression). So, then average Joes get scared and try to sell their coins (at this artificially low price) as fast as possible. Then those big entities swoop in, buy them and own even more of the market share. Which actually is a good thing for people like us who are in it for the long haul. Does that make sense?

The bottom line is bitcoin is big and getting bigger. It is a deflationary currency, so when all 21 million coins are in circulation, that's it. Considering the intrinsic value of bitcoins (their multiple utilities), I believe their value-over a long period of time-will go up. As a long-hauler, I don't fret about things like this, and if you are one you don't need to either. Shit, we could all take all of our bitcoins, go into a cave, come out 20 years later and be rich. Only CONSIDERABLE (say to below $100) drops  over a SUSTAINED (say 2 weeks) period of time would cause me to worry. And I really *knock on wood* don't see any of that happening.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 12:04:36 AM

Now, if you want my opinion on why this price drop happened, it's probably only one or a few agents acting (because the majority of bitcoins are held by only a few entities) purposely manipulating the market. They probably sold a bunch of coins (to themselves) for a very low price, causing a panic (think Great Depression). So, then average Joes get scared and try to sell their coins (at this artificially low price) as fast as possible. Then those big entities swoop in, buy them and own even more of the market share. Which actually is a good thing for people like us who are in it for the long haul. Does that make sense?

Yep. People who have a lot of money to begin with usually know how to manage that money (or hire people who do), and they want that money to grow.

With a panicky market, you can do so by scaring the herd and causing a stampede. So you see a lot of these sort of "dive and recover" dips as the big money throws it's weight around, and shakes out the weak hands. Then the market stabilizes, and anyone who gets too greedy and tries to do it again just hands their money over the smarter players.

Then you get a major news hit, and there's a lot more new players, some of whom are smart, some of whom are too greedy, and some of whom are panicky. Somebody says "Boo," and it all happens again.

Hang in folks, there's a lot of stupid, panicky, and greedy people out there, and not all of them have heard about Bitcoin yet. It's gonna be a bumpy ride, but we'll get there.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:07:13 AM

Now, if you want my opinion on why this price drop happened, it's probably only one or a few agents acting (because the majority of bitcoins are held by only a few entities) purposely manipulating the market. They probably sold a bunch of coins (to themselves) for a very low price, causing a panic (think Great Depression). So, then average Joes get scared and try to sell their coins (at this artificially low price) as fast as possible. Then those big entities swoop in, buy them and own even more of the market share. Which actually is a good thing for people like us who are in it for the long haul. Does that make sense?

Yep. People who have a lot of money to begin with usually know how to manage that money (or hire people who do), and they want that money to grow.

With a panicky market, you can do so by scaring the herd and causing a stampede. So you see a lot of these sort of "dive and recover" dips as the big money throws it's weight around, and shakes out the weak hands. Then the market stabilizes, and anyone who gets too greedy and tries to do it again just hands their money over the smarter players.

Then you get a major news hit, and there's a lot more new players, some of whom are smart, some of whom are too greedy, and some of whom are panicky. Somebody says "Boo," and it all happens again.

Hang in folks, there's a lot of stupid, panicky, and greedy people out there, and not all of them have heard about Bitcoin yet. It's gonna be a bumpy ride, but we'll get there.
All you have to do is buckle your seat belt.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: