Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:10:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Community & Decentralization  (Read 1246 times)
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
December 25, 2016, 03:55:39 PM

There is something that I really can't understand and I want to get your thoughts about it.

It looks like for some reasons , the bitcoin community don't care about decentralization at all. I mean , If we check the forums we will see how they say they want to use decentralized websites to exchanges etc... but the truth is that no one does.
OpenBazaar which is supposed to be a decentralized marketplace is almost used by no one compared to the bitcoin userbase and this is valid for Bitsquare.io as well.
In the meanwhile , we see a lot of people providing their real infos to the exchanges just like that.. So what's wrong here?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
December 25, 2016, 04:04:36 PM

Of course nobody does.

I have been warning people about mining centralization for almost 1 year now, but nobody cares...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1697411.0

Everyone just talks but nobody does anything.

Besides the mining is efficient now, it is centralized, because centralization = efficiency.

What can you do about centralization? How do you break up monopolies?

richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 25, 2016, 04:08:42 PM

Decentralization is something that the majority of the people here don't care about. I doubt some even know what it really means. People here just care about the price that shoots up so their signature campaign earnings will be more rewarding. The hunger/greed for earning and making profits easily outnumbers the minority of people truly caring about the technicial aspects and benefits of Bitcoin.
RealBitcoin

View Profile
December 25, 2016, 04:11:39 PM

Decentralization is something that the majority of the people here don't care about. I doubt some even know what it really means. People here just care about the price that shoots up so their signature campaign earnings will be more rewarding. The hunger/greed for earning and making profits easily outnumbers the minority of people truly caring about the technicial aspects and benefits of Bitcoin.

It's profit & safety that people care about.

Efficiency = centralization.

If the miners are trustable, and reputable, then most people dont care about them if they do their job correctly. But if they were to get out of line, and cause some serious troubles like a 51% hardfork, or some shenanigans with BTC Unlimited, then most people would be concerned.

Although I doubt most people even understand the issue and concepts. People are usually too dumb to understand technicalities.

unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
December 25, 2016, 04:16:51 PM

This is something that will either change in due time or we'll die still not understanding it. This is a "to each his own" situation for both scenarios (selling coins/goods or mining). We all have to do our part.

Regarding selling, I'm not much of a seller and I don't ship abroad so I use a national website to list my items... And I don't give out my personal data to the website, only to whoever asks for my items. I'd definitely use openbazaar if I had people from my country there or if I shipped abroad.

We'll see, only the future will tell. I think these services will be adopted more and more. As for exchanges, since there will always be a premium on localbitcoins and personal meetings, they'll always have their business...
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 25, 2016, 04:18:25 PM

It's profit & safety that people care about.

Efficiency = centralization.

If the miners are trustable, and reputable, then most people dont care about them if they do their job correctly. But if they were to get out of line, and cause some serious troubles like a 51% hardfork, or some shenanigans with BTC Unlimited, then most people would be concerned.

Although I doubt most people even understand the issue and concepts. People are usually too dumb to understand technicalities.

The lack of knowledge is a very dangerous thing as these people are exactly the group of people that are easy targets for poisonous initiatives planning to coup Bitcoin as was the plan of various alternatives such as XT, Unlimited, classic, etc. But then again, why would these people care as they are here only for profits...
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
December 25, 2016, 04:23:38 PM

There is something that I really can't understand and I want to get your thoughts about it.

It looks like for some reasons , the bitcoin community don't care about decentralization at all. I mean , If we check the forums we will see how they say they want to use decentralized websites to exchanges etc... but the truth is that no one does.
OpenBazaar which is supposed to be a decentralized marketplace is almost used by no one compared to the bitcoin userbase and this is valid for Bitsquare.io as well.
In the meanwhile , we see a lot of people providing their real infos to the exchanges just like that.. So what's wrong here?

Many people do not bother to go beyond their current comfort zone:
Is OpenBazaar easy to set-up and use?

Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 25, 2016, 04:24:11 PM

I personally think a lot of it comes down to the decentralized platforms not working in similar ways to the existing services or not providing the same protections or whatever that other conventional do. While it is a good idea, a lot of these other websites simply never get a community because the users are off doing something else on another site they already use. Their market share isn't large enough.
RealBitcoin

View Profile
December 25, 2016, 04:24:19 PM

The lack of knowledge is a very dangerous thing as these people are exactly the group of people that are easy targets for poisonous initiatives planning to coup Bitcoin as was the plan of various alternatives such as XT, Unlimited, classic, etc. But then again, why would these people care as they are here only for profits...

Because what do you think will happen if the Unlimited or Classic guys get their way? The price will probably drop a lot, since the whole consensus mechanism will be questioned, and Bitcoin's stability will be shaken.

People now believe that Bitcoin is decentralized, but if they get their way, that will prove that it isn't and in fact it can be less trusted than a central bank coin, because atleast a central bank is somewhat transparent, while these people are not.

Like most alt developers are anonymous, how can you trust these people?

ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2016, 08:58:18 PM

Moreover, a lot people still don't care what a wallet they used, it's like "the important one is bitcoin wallet", unfortunately some of them used exchange wallet service for main wallet which unable to hold private key.

Decentralization exchange actually still lack of user needs, like transfer to local banks directly (worldwide scale).

-snip-

This is the disease.

Openbazaar quite complicated, but there are a tutorial for user which if they read it, they will get it https://blog.openbazaar.org/openbazaar-user-tutorial/#.WGAyUBL_gqI
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 07:36:54 AM

decentralization doesn't only include 2 or 3 things. it also means that you can freely use bitcoin on your own and nobody can tell you how to or not to use. and that in my opinion is the center of decentralization of bitcoin.

and about what you said about exchanges it is because there is no "good" alternative. for example all those decentralized exchanges out there lack publicity and also they do not offer the same features meaning I can not trade bitcoin with fiat now that it is rising fast and efficient using alternatives to regular exchanges.

and also the same thing about openbazaar. it is an awesome project and I will always say this but it is not user friendly. you can't use it the same easy way you use eBay for example and the benefit of using openbazaar is not big enough to make average Joe give up eBay and similar sites and come use Openbazaar.

Only Bitcoin
chesatochi

Activity: 812
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2016, 01:25:42 PM

People don't like too much when they go beyond of what they know. Ebay is very easy to use in comparison of OpenBazarr, I faced many problems when I installed the application and I got frustrated. I am stubborn and I got it to work, the average joe needs something easy to use and not to have to fight how to get it work.

bncbnc

Activity: 840
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 07:19:58 PM

but to me i think the main reason behind this is that the users of bitcoin are still very low and the bitcoin is still not providing such facilities to the people for which it has been constructed and therefore people are using it for investment.

▄▄▄▄
▐████▌
▀██▀
▐▌
▄██▄
▄▄▄▄ ▐████▌ ▄▄▄▄
▐████▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▐████▌
████  ▄▄▄▄  ████
▐████▌
▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄  ▀██▀  ▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄
▐████▌      ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌      ▐████▌
▀██▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀██▀  ▄██▄  ▀██▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀██▀
▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌
▄██▄  ▀██▀  ▄██▄  ▀██▀  ▄██▄  ▀██▀  ▄██▄
▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌
▀▀▀▀  ▄██▄  ▀▀▀▀  ▄██▄  ▀▀▀▀  ▄██▄  ▀▀▀▀
▐████▌      ▐████▌      ▐████▌
▀▀▀▀  ████  ▀▀▀▀  ████  ▀▀▀▀
▐████▌      ▐████▌
▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀
ivy|..FACILITATING SECURE, TRANSPARENT...........
BUSINESS PAYMENTS ON A GLOBAL SCALE....

..─────────  ❱❱  WHITEPAPER  ❰❰  ─────────..
|
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
|.JOIN US NOW!.|
royalfestus

Activity: 2408
Merit: 516

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 07:36:49 PM

the volatility of bitcoin should not make it easy to be held for a long time without a use but bitcoin are being advised by some to be held in wallets, it should be moving around like every other currency or be used as capitals(like in the altcoin), working in the economy of the world.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 07:48:15 PM

You're right, there are far more people using Bitcoin as just another method of making fiat (look at the signature campaigns that end up in this thread).

There's more than that though. Reading the posts on this forum makes me believe many people don't truly understand what decentralization is and isn't relating to Bitcoin. The decentralized outside services like OpenBazaar and Bitsquare.io are just that "outside services". They really have nothing to do with the decentralization of Bitcoin but are nice services for the community to have available. I think most people don't use them because people are basically lazy and refuse to go through any additional steps to use them. Providing your financial info (something people are already used to doing) allows a level of automation that feeds the lazy nature of humans.

European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 07:54:46 PM

like so many other things people are only gonna care about decentralization when they actually require it. by the time they actually do, it'll be way too late. people are lazy and decentralization costs extra in terms of money and convenience.
ralphbtctar

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 11:00:03 PM

Decentralization has long way to go like bitsquare is too slow and open bazaar too. Plus they need to advertise?
Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 12:59:17 AM

Well bitcoin users love decentralization. But because of anonymosity the numbers of being vicitimized by scammers and hackers are increasingly going up. With these effects, people tend to find sites that can offer protection to their bitcoins, many also wanted to make bitcoin wallet regulated to  stop the scammers and hackers in their move. If there are no greedy humans then decentralization will be successful but due to the dark nature of man bitcoin will no longer be anonymous in the future to protect oneself from digital investment threats and frauds.
pooya87
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 10555

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 06:16:53 AM

personally whenever i say "decentralization" i am talking about bitcoin itself being decentralized not all the other services involving bitcoin, most of the time these services have to be centralized.

but i agree that other types of services that offer more decentralization, such as those decentralized exchanges and also this awesome project called OpenBazaar are things that we should think about moving to and start using. but the problem is that they are not the same thing as their counterparts and unless then get closer i don't see how we can start using them.

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████
███████████████░██
██████████
CRYPTO CASINO &
SPORTS BETTING
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
▀███████████████▀
█████████
davis196

Activity: 2968
Merit: 913

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 07:09:56 AM

Bitcoin decentralization is just a dream.

Bitcoin is mined by a few big miners in China,and most of the btc is owned by a few big btc holders.

Btc decentralization is over.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: