Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:27:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin mining with old dimension 2400  (Read 976 times)
Babbe (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2016, 10:04:56 PM

I recently acquired a old dell dimension, it has a ancient pentium 4 512mb of ram and even has the old IDE ribbon cables. I Was woundering if it would be possible to set up some Bitcoin mining software and start mining and if so what sort of money would i make in a month when paying for the power is not a variable and if it would even be worth it... Thanks! Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BigBoom3599

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 25, 2016, 10:28:40 PM

Don't, bitcoin mining isn't done with pc's anymore but with ASICs (specialized machines for mining BTC) because they are way faster and more efficient. You could still mine an altcoin with the laptop but I don't recommend it because you'll probably burn it out  Grin. If you really want to do it though, you should download Nicehash's miner, it'll automatically mine the most profitable coin for you and pay you in BTC.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 07:35:15 AM

I'm not sure if that old of machine can even do AltCoin mining - if it doesn't have a PCI-E video card connection (most machines of that vintage would be AGP) it's best to just forget about mining on it and set it up as a media center machine or some such.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
beerlover
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 1160

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 06:00:59 PM

Mining with PCs is long over, especially with such a weak miner. You might get a few cents a month mining some old cpu coin, but even those have botnets on them and you won't make much at all. 

If your CPU doesn't support AES, you'll get even less hashrate on coins like Monero. If you want to start mining, buy a S9 or A7 and see if your electrical cost is below 0.10$/KWH- only then you can even start wondering if you can even mine.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
socks435
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030

Privacy is always important

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 06:08:35 PM

That was old way to mine bitcoin right now like other said they are using asic or bitmain hardware like antminer s9 and i think old miners can not be profitable and you can not build  a miner right now with pc's if you really want to mine and earn bitcoin try to mine altcoin and sell them into bitcoin for now you can still mine but altcoin.

Solving blocks can't be solved without my rigs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: