Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:22:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do I only mine at 3.3 Mhash/s  (Read 6129 times)
tclo (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 01:51:30 AM

Mining sounded fun and effortless so I installed GUIMiner and joined Slush's Pool, but I'm only getting about 3.3 Mhash/s and would take months to even get to .05 BTC.   

I have a decent computer....AMD quadcore processor and such, but I think my graphics cards are just weak. I'm using GeoForce 8400 GS and it is really THAT slow?Huh   I don't do any gaming, but it can play HD videos and such, so I'm surprised it just can't mine any faster than that...just pathetic.
Winterfrost

Activity: 690
Merit: 135

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 01:56:54 AM

nVidia graphics cards are notoriously poor at bitcoin mining, and that particular card is a bit old. 3.3MHs is probably about the most you'll ever get.

Unfortunately, the ability to render video isn't a good benchmark for bitcoin mining performance.

Peleus

Activity: 112
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 01:57:15 AM

Yes, it's because your graphics card is crap... and also because it's nvidia, which is significantly worse than AMD for bitcoin mining.
mandroid

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:00:57 AM

This is actually slightly higher hash rate than I have seen quoted for your card here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

This is low due to two reasons:
1) The GPU is the most important part of your system for hashing, CPU doesn't so much
2) nVidia cards are not as fast as ATI cards due to the differences in architecture
tclo (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:06:23 AM

Yeah I think it's hopeless.  I do have an older computer I don't use and maybe could buy a videocard and stick it in there and just run it for mining but not sure if would be worth it with the added electricity and such.  It is an older PC but sounds like the videocard is all that matters.
Kotank

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:06:51 AM

it is the GPU, in all honestly it's slower because it is a nvidia and it's quite an old one at that. If you want to upgrade, from what I understand AMD cards are the best to go with. However if you want to stick with nvidia and are willing to upgrade at a reasonable price. I'm getting about 90Mh/s with a GTX 560ti from EVGA, not the best, but definitely better than what you're getting right now.
tclo (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:11:35 AM

it is the GPU, in all honestly it's slower because it is a nvidia and it's quite an old one at that. If you want to upgrade, from what I understand AMD cards are the best to go with. However if you want to stick with nvidia and are willing to upgrade at a reasonable price. I'm getting about 90Mh/s with a GTX 560ti from EVGA, not the best, but definitely better than what you're getting right now.

Well I run 6 monitors off of my main desktop and don't want to take a chance of screwing that up by changing out video cards. It was tough enough to find a combination that worked well together.  So maybe I will do some research and try to find an ATI card that will work in my old machine.  However, it doesn't even support PCI Express and would probably have to be PCI or AGP, so that may not leave me with any good options...too bad.
loszhor

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:15:57 AM

Thank you for information, I too am using a nVidia and getting the same rates and was wonder the same thing.

16wQCVFXYuSp4AYsBqV9Uqa2dd1V4YXvJ5
mokahless

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:38:17 AM

Lol you could get 15MH/s with that CPU using modern cpu mining software.

As for screwing up monitors by switching to AMD, I don't understand how that could happen.

tclo (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:54:21 AM

As for screwing up monitors by switching to AMD, I don't understand how that could happen.

I didn't think of trying CPU mining instead...maybe an option...better than nothing.

And about switching to AMD, when you have 3 different videocards in one computer, sometimes the drivers are not compatible and some won't work, or work properly.  So that's why I'm not going to risk screwing up the delicate balance of my three Nvidia cards powering my 6 monitors.
filmore

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:11:05 AM

Surprised that Nvidia is worse than AMD, they typically have better performance.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:16:55 AM

And about switching to AMD, when you have 3 different videocards in one computer, sometimes the drivers are not compatible and some won't work, or work properly.  So that's why I'm not going to risk screwing up the delicate balance of my three Nvidia cards powering my 6 monitors.

Um welcome to the 21st century they make graphics cards capable of powering 4,5,6+ monitors.  Still if your computer has no PCIe there is no point in upgrading.  Really the lifespan of GPU mining is probably very limited at this point as ASICs will eventually push them out the door so you likely aren't missing much.

itzzzAlice

Activity: 17

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:17:45 AM

I have a decent computer....AMD quadcore processor and such, but I think my graphics cards are just weak. I'm using GeoForce 8400 GS and it is really THAT slow?Huh 

I know it's been answered already but that isn't a good card for anything these days. Remember mining is about processing power, another reason why it switched from CPU to GPU and not to mention the soon to be somewhat widespread ASIC. I mine about 6-7 mh/s on my laptop which has a shitty duo core processor and a 9600m lol.
tclo (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:51:12 PM

I have a decent computer....AMD quadcore processor and such, but I think my graphics cards are just weak. I'm using GeoForce 8400 GS and it is really THAT slow?Huh 

I know it's been answered already but that isn't a good card for anything these days. Remember mining is about processing power, another reason why it switched from CPU to GPU and not to mention the soon to be somewhat widespread ASIC. I mine about 6-7 mh/s on my laptop which has a shitty duo core processor and a 9600m lol.

Well it's a good card for me for everything else I need it for.  Was inexpensive and runs two monitors and plays HD video files.  I haven't needed it for anything else.
r3ex1

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:02:30 PM

I'm in a similar boat.
The mining hardware table looks to be very useful.

Will have to invest some more money!
mokahless

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 11:31:34 PM

I didn't think of trying CPU mining instead...maybe an option...better than nothing.

And about switching to AMD, when you have 3 different videocards in one computer, sometimes the drivers are not compatible and some won't work, or work properly.  So that's why I'm not going to risk screwing up the delicate balance of my three Nvidia cards powering my 6 monitors.

I wasn't serious about the CPU mining as an option. I was trying to put some perspective. But, as you said, it is better than nothing.

I see what you are talking about with the GPUs now. I see you have been out of the game for a while. You only need one AMD card for 6 monitors. That is usually costly and impractical though. If cost is an issue, you could replace your 3 Nvidias with 2x lower-mid end AMD radeon cards.

like these: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161402 with a few mini-dp adapters.

I personally have a 6950 and 6450 powering 5 monitors with room for one more if I get anote mini-dp adapter. I even swapped in a 5830 when my 6950 went for warranty and it kept all my monitor positions. Two of the cards I mentioned above with the adapters will support 8x digital monitors. If you get the expensive mini-dp hub adapters, you can go to 12x.

prandelicious

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 01:18:02 AM

I think the GPU is too old, get a Radeon 6990 or the newest 79xx series. You'll get higher mhash/s per card. I was able to find a brand new Radeon 6990 the other day Smiley
josh4580

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 01:38:04 AM

I am a newbie miner.  Wondering if the hash rate Im getting is what should be expected?

I have 3X Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
1200W PSU
8GB RAM
AMD Athlon II X2 270 Regor 3.4 GHz
windows 7

I am running Bitminter pool for Bitcoin

1st GPU: 573 Mhps
2nd GPU: 574 Mhps
3rd GPU: 355 Mhps

Another question, why is the 3rd GPU going slower than the other 2?

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=josh4580
BTC tips welcome:
17vmZezBtCX6bHPe3bpVWJMFppb3JunKvj
fyubr

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 02:21:19 AM

Yes, it's because your graphics card is crap... and also because it's nvidia, which is significantly worse than AMD for bitcoin mining.

This look into getting say a radeon 7770 7850 they are both pretty cheap with decent hash rates
ReCat

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 03:16:22 AM

You should mine for litecoins. Now that's actually practical and profitable on even an old GPU. :3

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: