Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:47:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Explaining the subjective theory of value to the mentally disabled.  (Read 587 times)
Merralea (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:41:53 AM

How exactly does one do it? I spend too much time with the metals magpies trying to get them to understand that "intrinsic value" is an oxymoron. It's physically painful.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:43:29 AM

you mean like the general public?

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Merralea (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:46:34 AM

Perhaps...mostly the types of people that think gold/silver and bitcoin are diametrically opposed for all eternity.
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:14:57 AM
Last edit: April 11, 2013, 02:44:23 PM by Explodicle

TL;DR version: show some respect.

There is no zinger that will change their minds on the spot. They've been bullshitted for decades by keynesians, and then here we come with a new internet ponzi scheme backed by nothing. I can understand how they feel; metals will always be worth something and you can't honestly say that about cryptocurrency.

Just be truthful with them, and answer their questions politely. Don't call them names. I haven't "won" any arguments with them and I don't think it will ever work that way; next time it comes up I should probably mention that crashing to nothing isn't much worse than crashing to next to nothing. An opinion that served them well during the banking crisis won't be discarded quickly.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 04:33:24 AM

Gold/silver bugs don't all "get" subjective value. But if you explain it in terms they can relate to, it will go down easier.

To them, Precious Metals have "intrinsic" value. And certainly, these metals do have some physical qualities which make them well-suited for use as a currency. But those qualities aren't enough, by themselves, to make a metal valuable.

Point out that the real thing which keeps PMs values high is trust. Gold is gold. It was gold yesterday, it will be gold tomorrow. It's been used as currency for thousands of years, and everyone recognizes it's value. Shake that trust, and the value starts to slip away. Look what happened with the Tungsten scandal. Once you've got him to agree to that, point out that trust is a subjective value - albeit one most everyone agrees on - and you've hopefully at least got him to see your side of things.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:38:04 AM

stackers and bitcoiners are natural allies, I agree, be respectful, acknowledge the value that PMs will always have, point out that BTC is deflationary and secured by the most powerful computing effort achieved by humans to date, then observe that while PMs are the ultimate store of value BTC is an excellent means of exchange.

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 12:16:22 PM

This might help.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEE9A33593A261433

I know it took me over a year to accept bitcoin. I went through a phase where I was willing to accept it as a medium of exchange but not a store of value. Basically, I figured I could accept it and immediately convert it to dollars (which I still do mostly because I need to in order to buy the raw materials for my products).

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 01:26:33 PM

Ignore them?

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:46:55 PM

Ignore them?

That's what I'm saying.  You can't help someone who doesn't want help; if they don't want to hear you the first time, then they can stick with their gold and be done with Bitcoin.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: