Bitcoin Forum
June 09, 2024, 02:13:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Armory Question: Does Encryption Protect My Paper Backups?  (Read 377 times)
jfhoff (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:31:34 AM
Last edit: April 11, 2013, 03:50:28 AM by jfhoff

I'm sure this belongs in the Armory section, But I'm still a newbie...

I have enough BTC that I need to use Armory on an offline PC, so I set it all up and it works great. I assigned a good, strong password. Now, is my paper backup vulnerable to theft by a physical burglar, or is it useless without the password? Similarly, what if a physical burglar stole my offline PC?

Thanks in advance!  Smiley
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:22:51 AM

I'm guessing the paper backup is not encrypted. So keep it safe and secure, where it won't be stolen. The offline PC ... well, the password should be able to protect it, and hopefully the burglar can't guess it, so you have time to transfer your bitcoins to another address.

Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:28:28 AM

I'm sure this belongs in the Armory section, But I'm still a newbie...

I have enough BTC that I need to use Armory on an offline PC, so I set it all up and it works great. I assigned a good, strong password. Now, is my paper backup vulnerable to theft by a physical burglar, or is it useless without the password? Similarly, what if a physical burglar stole my offline PC?

Thanks in advance!  Smiley

The paper backup at least at the moment is not encrypted, so physical theft is a possible concern.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: