Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:54:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory and using or extracting stored value?  (Read 527 times)
candtalan (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 09:24:56 PM

I have used Armory wallet in the past and some value is stored in a (Ubuntu) machine which is currently unused. I would be most grateful for comments on how to proceed, because I see that this wallet is not currently under development (?). I hope it is possible to run the container machine and extract the value? TIA
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Deep In The Mines LLC

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2016, 09:36:02 PM
Last edit: December 27, 2016, 08:25:41 AM by Deep In The Mines LLC

You might be able to move the file to a windows machine running armory and run it from there, use a USB or something to transfer it and you can keep your value there or move the value out into another wallet.

Its also possible to extract the key from the wallet file itself: In Armory-Qt, click on Wallet Properties>Backup this wallet>See other backup options>Export Key Lists then click the button Export Key Lists. Enter your passphrase and Armory will show your wallet's private key. Note that a watch-only copy of a wallet does not contain the private key as the original wallet.

Deep In The Mines LLC Cryptocurrency miners, power supplies, breakout boards and accessories!

Authorized Biostar and Silverstone Reseller.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2016, 11:48:30 PM

I have used Armory wallet in the past and some value is stored in a (Ubuntu) machine which is currently unused. I would be most grateful for comments on how to proceed,

Install the latest version of Armory 0.95.1 and the latest version of Bitcoin Core. It should work and you will be able to access your bitcoin. If armory was previously installed, You will need to delete the folder named databases in the armory data directory as the database format has changed.

because I see that this wallet is not currently under development (?).
Armory is still being developed. It is under the development of a new maintainer. The development progress has slowed significantly because the company previously behind armory stopped working on it.

You might be able to move the file to a windows machine running armory

I do not recommend that you use Windows. Armory works better in a Linux environment like Ubuntu.

Note that a watch-only copy of a wallet uses the same private key as the original wallet it was created from.
Watch only wallets do not have private keys. They only contain addresses and public keys.

Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 12:24:18 AM

The development progress has slowed significantly because the company previously behind armory stopped working on it.

I disagree.

Armory was stagnant for well over a year under ATI. Yet, as soon as they folded and goatpig created his branch, there has been a surge of steady progress and the technological gap which once existed between Armory and other Bitcoin development is almost closed. I would go so far as to say that Armory is working better than ever.

If goatpig would just remove the horrible auto-bitcoind code (which was a mistake to begin with), a large portion of user issues would vanish.

I do not recommend that you use Windows. Armory works better in a Linux environment like Ubuntu.

I disagree again. While I haven't noticed any significant differences with Armory itself, the only operating system which ever gave me issues with Bitcoin Core was Ubuntu. Windows, however, has never given me any issues what-so-ever with Bitcoin Core or Armory.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2016, 12:40:55 AM

I disagree.

Armory was stagnant for well over a year under ATI. Yet, as soon as they folded and goatpig created his branch, there has been a surge of steady progress and the technological gap which once existed between Armory and other Bitcoin development is almost closed. I would go so far as to say that Armory is working better than ever.
Prior to ATI's stagnation, the was a lot of development, and a lot of other work that was going to be incorporated into armory but never had the chance to due to ATI stopping development. Furthermore the was a lot more testing and higher quality assurance than right now. I'm sure you have noticed that goatpig's releases have many bugs that would have been caught if there were more testing.

If goatpig would just remove the horrible auto-bitcoind code (which was a mistake to begin with), a large portion of user issues would vanish.
That would probably help.

I disagree again. While I haven't noticed any significant differences with Armory itself, the only operating system which ever gave me issues with Bitcoin Core was Ubuntu. Windows, however, has never given me any issues what-so-ever with Bitcoin Core or Armory.
I have experienced the exact opposite. I typically have issues on Windows and no issues on Ubuntu whatsoever.

Deep In The Mines LLC

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2016, 08:24:46 AM

Watch only wallets do not have private keys. They only contain addresses and public keys.

Absolutely my bad sir, I knew that, I mean't to say that a watch-only wallet does not have the private key.

Thanks for the correction, I shall edit the post if I can, yours truly.

Deep In The Mines LLC Cryptocurrency miners, power supplies, breakout boards and accessories!

Authorized Biostar and Silverstone Reseller.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 07:48:07 PM

Prior to ATI's stagnation, the was a lot of development, and a lot of other work that was going to be incorporated into armory but never had the chance to due to ATI stopping development. Furthermore the was a lot more testing and higher quality assurance than right now. I'm sure you have noticed that goatpig's releases have many bugs that would have been caught if there were more testing.

For my defense, my first 2 solo versions came with a lot deep changes to the DB and a lot of new code, which increases the bug surface tremendously. Upcoming versions won't modify the DB anywhere as much.

candtalan (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 06:36:12 PM

Thank you - I am most grateful for your replies.
It is reassuring to hear about Armory continuing. The machine I used in fact has not been run since I used Armory, for a long time now. I took a 'paper backup' at the time. I do not think I created a special offline wallet - is that what a watch-only-wallet is? My wallet is a normal wallet which ran online. I simply stopped using that machine. I trust the machine itself will still work anyway if I now run it as a computer. I guess that the Armory outdated software and the outdated bitcoin software will not operate successfully in today's environment?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: