Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:57:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I think BFL deserves a bit more benefit of the doubt  (Read 4578 times)
jhansen858 (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 04:34:44 AM

We already know that the product isn't going to perform as advertised, but lack of competition means that people will forgive that.  Nobody else is mass producing ASICs at this point.  BFL may have to lift their game when other players enter the ASIC market but until that happens they have a virtual monopoly on ASIC sales.

As with everything else Bitcoin, it's not a great idea to spend more on ASICs than you're willing to lose. 

I agree with this.  

I get the feeling a few people overextended them selves a bit on this.  A very logical reaction ensues.  Feelings of intense stress and severe buyers remorse.  

Guys, relax, everything is going to be OK.  Things are never as bad or as good as what they seem.  The universe is not fucked.  Its just a matter of perspective.  I know, you cant wait to get your magical money printing machine from the future, that prints money....but its a bit of a complex process to make magical money printing machines from the future.  In the mean time, maybe get out side, walk your dog, de-stress, breathe.  

Either way, its going to work it self out soon.  

Hi forum: 1DDpiEt36VTJsiJunyBc3XtG6CcSAnsQ4p

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 06:47:37 AM

We already know that the product isn't going to perform as advertised, but lack of competition means that people will forgive that.  Nobody else is mass producing ASICs at this point.  BFL may have to lift their game when other players enter the ASIC market but until that happens they have a virtual monopoly on ASIC sales.

As with everything else Bitcoin, it's not a great idea to spend more on ASICs than you're willing to lose. 

I agree with this.  

I get the feeling a few people overextended them selves a bit on this.  A very logical reaction ensues.  Feelings of intense stress and severe buyers remorse.  

Guys, relax, everything is going to be OK.  Things are never as bad or as good as what they seem.  The universe is not fucked.  Its just a matter of perspective.  I know, you cant wait to get your magical money printing machine from the future, that prints money....but its a bit of a complex process to make magical money printing machines from the future.  In the mean time, maybe get out side, walk your dog, de-stress, breathe.  

Either way, its going to work it self out soon.  

At least we have some sensible people as well. Smiley

firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 07:07:19 AM

Lets be a little fair here, Avalon shipped 300 units in 3 months, second batch starting shipping today (im correct?), lets say, if the total numbers of Avalons is 900 by end of May and we consider 1/4 of what BFL claims on production rate, BFL will mach the number of Avalon units in a week and half if they start shipping in June....

Avalon shipped 300 units in 3 months, you cant order because they are always sold out, they are expensive, what are you guys expecting the people to do? Even if you order a 4th batch Avalon, you probably dont going to get it in a long time too.

Thats why people order BFL units and pray.

As for who win and who losse, like in any bussiness, there are winners and lossers, who preorder a Avalon 1st batch won, who preordered BFL lose, thats the end of story, you just cant start complaining because you taked your chances with BFL and lose, its getting tiredsome of hearing people compaining of BFL, nobody forced you to preorder BFL, ask a refund and do something else, if not its because you know you dont have other choice.

And there is not always refund choices when a bussiness goes wrong people.

Well that and based on the accounts of the manufacturing equipment they've got... they should be able to produce hundreds of units a day once they have a production model nailed down.

I believe the game has changed however... specifically - with the old power/hash numbers I figured that the jalapeno was going to be the dog of the line... and now it looks like that might the best seller, and people make end up purchasing hundreds of them rather than dealing with the larger models. That could be really good for bfl and extremely annoying for farm owners. But probably good for bitcoin in general.

Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 10:32:15 AM

15 April 2013 Update
Short update today, more to come in the next day or two, hopefully.

We've been working on getting the software and firmware nailed down. Things are mostly stabilized at this point and with our current boards (we do not have the redesigned boards in house yet), power usage exceeds the 1w/GH, unfortunately, but it's much better than anything out by 40 - 50%, at the wall. We are gearing up to start shipping out some dev boards and a few Jalapeno's most likely this week (at least a few dev boards) and then as more chips roll in we'll be shipping out the Jalapeno's. When the new boards land in KC, we'll start shipping Little Singles and Singles at that time. I don't currently have a time frame for those, but I should have something later this week in regards to that.

Obviously, the minirig can't fit 1.5 TH/s in a case the size of what we were planning, but we have some interesting solutions with regards to that. Expect and update on there as well, but I did want to let everyone know we have several solutions to solve the minirig issue and we are moving forward on that front.

I did want to quash any rumors that there was something wrong with the chips; there isn't. The chips themselves are fine (other than using more power than we expected), the delay is strictly due to having to re-engineer the power system on the boards (which requires a larger PCB redesign to a degree) and refine/streamline our processes for getting chips from silicon to mounted on boards. Things will be rolling along soon, albeit a bit slow at first, and then picking up speed as the whole process is optimized and finalized.

creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 03:26:11 PM

15 April 2013 Update

We've been working on getting the software and firmware nailed down. Things are mostly stabilized at this point and with our current boards (we do not have the redesigned boards in house yet), power usage exceeds the 1w/GH, unfortunately, but it's much better than anything out by 40 - 50%, at the wall. We are gearing up to start shipping out some dev boards and a few Jalapeno's most likely this week (at least a few dev boards) and then as more chips roll in we'll be shipping out the Jalapeno's. When the new boards land in KC, we'll start shipping Little Singles and Singles at that time. I don't currently have a time frame for those, but I should have something later this week in regards to that.

Obviously, the minirig can't fit 1.5 TH/s in a case the size of what we were planning, but we have some interesting solutions with regards to that. Expect and update on there as well, but I did want to let everyone know we have several solutions to solve the minirig issue and we are moving forward on that front.

I did want to quash any rumors that there was something wrong with the chips; there isn't. The chips themselves are fine (other than using more power than we expected), the delay is strictly due to having to re-engineer the power system on the boards (which requires a larger PCB redesign to a degree) and refine/streamline our processes for getting chips from silicon to mounted on boards. Things will be rolling along soon, albeit a bit slow at first, and then picking up speed as the whole process is optimized and finalized.

Absolutely brutal.

They're still working out firmware issues and rebuilding their PCBs while Avalon batch 2 customers have just been notified to send in their FPGA trade-ins. BFL will not beat Avalon batch 2 for mass shipping and it's entirely possible Avalon batch 3 will ship before BFL ships much of anything. This is another 600+ Avalon units(40+Th), ASICMiner is accelerating it's hash rate deployment on the 22nd of April and gearing up for direct sales of hardware. The worst news of all is that BFL's power consumption looks like it will be around 500% higher than originally estimated(simulated). This means they'll not have the huge lifespan earnings advantage they were originally projected to have.

The most common product ordered by a country mile is the single SC and there's no guidance on when that will ship...six months after it's first shipping date. Orders placed today, may or may not be delivered in 2013, but it's pretty clear they won't be worth much when received by investors.

Take your lumps and get out, these guys do not know what they're doing.

mobodick

Activity: 840

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 03:34:39 PM

So far, the company has been professional, honest, had a good attitude about it.

How is "We will deliver in october, LOL, sorry, november, LOLZ, actually not in december, STFU you are a IDIOTS we deliver in february,oops, march, eeh, april, nah, end of may, probably mid june july-ishy" in any way professional or honest?

They have been perpetually lying in their prognoses and only once did they notify their customers investors that they won't ship on the preset date.
They had Josh come in here, completely ignoring actual important questions  just to engage in several pissing contest with both the competition and trolls.

You are seriously deluded when it comes to the actual situation BFL customers are really in.
BFL has a lot more history than the couple of months you know them for.
mobodick

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 03:46:10 PM
Last edit: April 16, 2013, 04:24:29 PM by mobodick

Bottom line is that your free to take a refund if your not happy to wait.  

Since most people payed in BTC, asking for a refund now means they lose a lot of money.
Not only did their product not get delivered they get to deal with the risk of a weaker dollar.
Meanwhile BFL doesn't realy take a loss at all. They sponsored their carnival with the customers investors money and there are people who still want their boxes so actually if BFL delivers at all they would do so without taking any real risks.
So since all the risk is in the hands of the customers investors, canceling means a financial setback for most of the investors. Waiting for BFL to deliver is the lesser of the losses since there is still a small chance that the BFL boxes will do 100% ROI in reasonable time.

BFL has effectively arrested their customers investors to prevent them from running away while BFL tries figuring out in what ways they fucked up their product.

mobodick

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 03:51:01 PM

15 April 2013 Update

When chips use more power than designed things are very far from 'fine'..
I hope everyone understands that...
jhansen858 (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 03:59:22 PM

So far, the company has been professional, honest, had a good attitude about it.

How is "We will deliver in october, LOL, sorry, november, LOLZ, actually not in december, STFU you are a IDIOTS we deliver in february,oops, march, eeh, april, nah, end of may, probably mid june july-ishy" in any way professional or honest?

They have been perpetually lying in their prognoses and only once did they notify their customers investors that they won't ship on the preset date.
They had Josh come in here, completely ignoring actual important questions  just to engage in several pissing contest with both the competition and trolls.

You are seriously deluded when it comes to the actual situation BFL customers are really in.

1) So the update said pretty much what I was expecting.  The software is almost done, we have changed the power profile and had to change the board design to accommodate which is almost done, we are shipping out the dev units, and doing all the little 100's of details that make for a properly engineered and tested product.    No surprise here.  In fact, encouraging as it gives insight into exactly where everything stands. 

I think we are 2 months or less at this point.   

creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:06:45 PM

1) So the update said pretty much what I was expecting.  The software is almost done, we have changed the power profile and had to change the board design to accommodate which is almost done, we are shipping out the dev units, and doing all the little 100's of details that make for a properly engineered and tested product.    No surprise here.  In fact, encouraging as it gives insight into exactly where everything stands. 

Your post trailed off there. Can you complete your last sentence? 2 months or less from what? Shipping orders placed in June of 2012? If those orders ship in June of 2013 would you expect an order placed today(April 16 2013) to be shipped this year? Please be verbose, I really am trying to understand the motivation to order at this point, particularly given the 500% increase in power consumption which makes the shipping date an absolutely vital factor in calculating profitability.

mobodick

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:23:45 PM

Notice that this is not surprising exactly because they have been saying these kind of things since october.

Also, please read the latest BFL propaganda again.
They want to stress that the chips are absolutely fine, except that they use up more power than was designed. But that's still ok, according to BFL.
But it's not. If the ICs use up a lot more power than designed for than there is something bad with the chips as well.
You have to look for those details because if there is one thing that i've learned about the way BFL operates then its that this little "the chips are fine" will turn into "We'll have to redo most of the ICs" in a couple of weeks.
The problems with the board were also fixable 'with a little tuning' and they would have delivered their product a couple of weeks ago.
Now the story has progressed over a couple of communications from 'Just some minor power problems with the board, will be done in a few days' to 'we need new boards and have no real shipping date at the moment'.

jasonjm

Activity: 1246
Merit: 524

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 11:36:07 PM

er hmmmmmm

I placed an other number 23 000 about and 30 000

for 12 x  60gh/sec thingamiaggiemabobs

I don't feel like it was my smartest moment ever, maybe time to ask for a refund

firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:19:29 AM

Notice that this is not surprising exactly because they have been saying these kind of things since october.

They want to stress that the chips are absolutely fine, except that they use up more power than was designed. But that's still ok, according to BFL.
But it's not. If the ICs use up a lot more power than designed for than there is something bad with the chips as well.
You have to look for those details because if there is one thing that i've learned about the way BFL operates then its that this little "the chips are fine" will turn into "We'll have to redo most of the ICs" in a couple of weeks.
The problems with the board were also fixable 'with a little tuning' and they would have delivered their product a couple of weeks ago.
Now the story has progressed over a couple of communications from 'Just some minor power problems with the board, will be done in a few days' to 'we need new boards and have no real shipping date at the moment'.

I guess that's just the difference in perception between us. Having been involved in a myriad of products from the initial design all they way to finished product... I can tell you from personal experience that having chips come out drawing more power or generating more heat than expected isn't the end of the production cycle. Sure it can change the game. But you don't just junk the entire design and do something else.

Once upon a time intel was developing Silverthorne - it was designed to an x86 processor for cellphones. They were trying to compete with motorola and mitsubishi. The tech worked, but needed more power and generated way more heat than expected. This tech didn't just dry up and go away... The changed the sales model, rebranded it under centrino as "Atom" and pushed it for handheld devices like tables and netbooks. This lead directly to the explosion of tablets as a consumer product. I don't believe there's a single cell phone that has an atom in it... but there are micro computers (in use as terminals and budget pcs) and hundreds types of tablets and 'netbooks' (micro laptops) that use them.

BFL is on the right track - redesign the board to supply the power needed while keeping temps stable, change the sales specs and ship the coffee warmer to consume the old tech board that would have been singles. Personally I think the very best move they could make would be devolping something where the top of it was a massive heatsink. and making it modular, to be plugged into the rack assembly they would sell. I'm thinking 4u rack that takes 3 mini-single modules. maybe just 4 chips per device.

I think the biggest hurdle for them is giving up the tiny size they had from FPGA days, get over it, go a bit bigger so you can cool the thing effectively... etc. Give me a metal packaged chip (or 4) that on a board that has AM3 holes for mounting a cpu heatsink and fan on top of it... that would make me very happy. Design the entire thing with a stacked heatsink that has a pair of 120mm fans on each side... design them so they could be assembled into a wall via interlocks on the sides, top and bottom of the case... one side air intake and other side of the wall being the exhaust... have the thing blow through.

mobodick

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:39:22 AM

1) So the update said pretty much what I was expecting.  The software is almost done, we have changed the power profile and had to change the board design to accommodate which is almost done, we are shipping out the dev units, and doing all the little 100's of details that make for a properly engineered and tested product.    No surprise here.  In fact, encouraging as it gives insight into exactly where everything stands.  

I guess that's just the difference in perception between us. Having been involved in a myriad of products from the initial design all they way to finished product... I can tell you from personal experience that having chips come out drawing more power or generating more heat than expected isn't the end of the production cycle. Sure it can change the game. But you don't just junk the entire design and do something else.

Once upon a time intel was developing Silverthorne - it was designed to an x86 processor for cellphones. They were trying to compete with motorola and mitsubishi. The tech worked, but needed more power and generated way more heat than expected. This tech didn't just dry up and go away... The changed the sales model, rebranded it under centrino as "Atom" and pushed it for handheld devices like tables and netbooks. This lead directly to the explosion of tablets as a consumer product. I don't believe there's a single cell phone that has an atom in it... but there are micro computers (in use as terminals and budget pcs) and hundreds types of tablets and 'netbooks' (micro laptops) that use them.

Nice story! Never knew atom was designed as a phone cpu.
But even then, intel is meaningless in the phone/tablet market. They never were able to catch up.
I seriously hope for everyone involved that BFL won't screw up their market like intel has been doing the past decade.

BFL is on the right track - redesign the board to supply the power needed while keeping temps stable, change the sales specs and ship the coffee warmer to consume the old tech board that would have been singles. Personally I think the very best move they could make would be devolping something where the top of it was a massive heatsink. and making it modular, to be plugged into the rack assembly they would sell. I'm thinking 4u rack that takes 3 mini-single modules. maybe just 4 chips per device.

I think the biggest hurdle for them is giving up the tiny size they had from FPGA days, get over it, go a bit bigger so you can cool the thing effectively... etc. Give me a metal packaged chip (or 4) that on a board that has AM3 holes for mounting a cpu heatsink and fan on top of it... that would make me very happy. Design the entire thing with a stacked heatsink that has a pair of 120mm fans on each side... design them so they could be assembled into a wall via interlocks on the sides, top and bottom of the case... one side air intake and other side of the wall being the exhaust... have the thing blow through.

Modular would be cool.
In fact, i don't understand why they try to make such good looking products while the shelf life is pretty short.
I'd rather buy something more, eeh, russian ( Grin ) in design that can come to market faster.

Thermal design is a bit hard to do if your ic's use more power than anticipated. It screws up everything about what you thought will happen inside the box.
BFL had designed their board and cases before even having a prototype.
Now that the chips are out of spec they need to redesign the rest of the system to accomodate.
I'm not sure, but i'm getting the idea that their yields are pretty broad, quality wise. Which would suggest that they either have to divide the batches in quality stacks or they have to make sure every assembled box is cool enough to handle the worst cases.
I think it depends on the spread of the yield.

But there is something fishy going on whatever it is. I have the feeling they are not telling the whole truth about the situation.
Two weeks ago they were saying that they will probably ship the product last week. Now they say they are waiting for the revised boards to be shipped to them which means they are a week late from their last prognosis and still dont have the boards.
My guess is they're finding new problems but time will tell.

jeprokzki

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:06:41 PM

props? Cheesy
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:12:04 PM

I have been dealing with them for about 3 months now. They have always returned every email I have sent them in a timely manner.  I was going to be in the area (this ended up not working out) and asked If I could tour the facility and see the build process.  They told me sure no problem but they expected to be extremely busy trying to get everything lined up so it might be better if I give them two weeks..  They also told me they want to be a long term mining partner and warned me not to buy a mining rig if I was hoping to just make fast profits.  They said realistically it would be about a year ROI to get the money back. 

Now for the people who are going to jump in about how they have not delivered in 7 months, I have to say.

I have been doing some homework on what it takes to design an asic, get it produced, and turned into a finalized product.  Hint* not easy. 

Now I can believe that maybe these guys are kinda learning as they go.  And they are using everyone else money to do it.  I grant that.  But the same could be said for almost any new business.  I started a company 8 years ago out of my garage, just poof made it up one day.  And Yes I had the basics down in the beginning but honestly we were not that good at what we were doing for a few years. 

Also, Successful Business veterans quickly learn that its very easy mistake to make which is to not properly set a customers expectations.  I can see that BFL is obviously guilty of this.  It is clearly documented that they have said multiple times when something was going to happen and it didn't due to unforeseen complexities in the process. 

But lets be honest for a moment.  From what I can see, if they are a scammer company they are doing a very bad job about it. 

1) Have a public office where anyone can visit any time they want
2) This is their 2nd round of hardware (fpga's to asics?)
3) They are putting alot of money into R&D into software, and hardware design in support of the community with relatively low returns.  Probably working insane hours to do it. 
4) giving refunds to unhappy customers
5) offering lifetime warranty on all their products.

I say give them a break, If you don't believe in them, don't fucking buy anything from them.  But to openly accuse them of fraud, cheating, lying, and all the other shit I have been reading seems to be unwarranted to me.  I ordered a minirig from them and I want it to work correctly for at least a few years.  I want it to be well built and if that takes a little bit longer to make it awesome, then so be it.
I don't want some piece of shit they just slapped together so I can have the 2 week advantage over everyone else.  I would rather it take a few extra weeks if that means they are going to do it right. 

Another point is, we need companies like BFL who are willing to invest in the infrastructure if bitcoin is to survive long term.  Yea they have some faults, hopefully they will learn their lesson and start doing what every good business man does.  Under promise and over deliver.  Right now they have been over promising for a while and I think that is why so much negativity is going their way at the moment. 

I know I'm probably in the minority given the tone on these forums but I just wanted to throw out my two btc.

Without accusing you of anything, your posts here could easily be interpreted as you pumping them up; this exhibits shill behavior.
the fact is that BFL NEVER gets back to anyone in a timely manner. so your premise is 100% wrong.
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:14:58 AM

BFL's "recent progress" raises some questions that are hard for me to square.

I think it is clear they have something.  At least one asic prototype running (albeit not near spec)... not really sure if any kind engineering black magic at BFL is needed to keep that board alive or not.

My biggest issue has to do with their apparent lack of perspective.

Those of us who are GPU miners (which I think is the bulk of miners out there), are used to having a lot of ugly slapped on our rigs.  It is all about function... form is irrelevant. Having the case open with a giant room fan blowing in there would be rule more than the exception I would think.

Lets assume the problem is solely about the additional power draw and therefore the problem is with power/cooling... I would guess that a good number of their customers would be happy to receive whatever they have now without any kind of case and insufficient cooling and mine at 25Gh/s next week (and the customer deals with finding an adequate cooling solution) rather than maybe in 3 months and have the sleekest ipod of miners.  

I cancelled my BFL order about a month back, so I don't have a horse in their race.  But my guess is... if this were an option, people would take it.  If it isn't an option... then how did they produce the current "working" machine?  If the prototype was not something they are prepared to produce in numbers at this phase in their development... then yeah... they are in big trouble.  If BTC drops down to a point where people who pre-ordered with BTC would feel okay with the original purchase price gap and issue a return... then I think they are in trouble as well.

So... I am having trouble understanding their current situation.  Do they have a prototype that is working but flawed which they could release... or don't they... in which case... what are we looking at on eligius/eclipsemc or where ever lukerjr is mining with his "shipped" board?
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:41:20 AM

What BFL may have may cooking may become completely irrelevant if major ASIC competitors take their operating profits and income (you know, that stuff BFL customers wish they had) and invest it into lower process chips.  By the time BFL is shipping their December orders from last year Avalon or ASICMiner may be shipping something that does twice the hash or uses less power (BFL's original selling point).
meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 11:29:03 AM

My biggest issue has to do with their apparent lack of perspective.

Biggest understatement of the Bitcoin mining world.

Supposedly, they hire 20+ people.  Lease a new office.  2 weeks to respond to customer inquiries.  Sitting on their thumbs at work.  Not truly knowing what their doing - hence the poor outcomes.

Bashing people on the forums.  Complete BS PR from October '12 until Feb '13.  Now, only slightly more informative than before.  None of their timelines on product development and heat testing match (Oct - Nov) up.

It's beyond belief, but we would have all been better off going with nzhang or friedcat.  They knew how to get the job done without excessive amounts of PR spin.

And now we wait again.  Wait for BFL to fix their marketing centerpiece - power efficiency. 

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
jhansen858 (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:39:17 AM

Without accusing you of anything, your posts here could easily be interpreted as you pumping them up; this exhibits shill behavior.
the fact is that BFL NEVER gets back to anyone in a timely manner. so your premise is 100% wrong.

Hey I'm just calling it like I see it.  I wrote them 9 seperate emails and in each one, my question was answered fully within 24 hours.  Some times on weekends. 

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: