Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:56:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using bit address.org  (Read 1554 times)
steelboy (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:47:54 AM

Hi

I have worked out how to use the software offline to generate address pairs.

I have sent money to the address and have found it on the block chain confirming it is there

How do I withdraw money from the address? I can't see where to use the private key

Thanks
aantonop

Activity: 196
Merit: 116

Entrepreneur, coder, hacker, pundit, humanist.

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 07:50:20 AM

You can import the private key into most wallet programs, including the online ones like blockchain.info

Open you wallet software and look for an "import private key" option.

Bitcoin entrepreneur - OpenBitcoinStore,SafePaperWallet,BitcoinPressCenter.org... and more.
Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
steelboy (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:56:46 AM

You can import the private key into most wallet programs, including the online ones like blockchain.info

Open you wallet software and look for an "import private key" option.

Thanks

And if I check the public address for the balance that doesn't compromise the wallet at all does it.

Is it considered cold storage?
aantonop

Activity: 196
Merit: 116

Entrepreneur, coder, hacker, pundit, humanist.

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 07:59:49 AM

Anyone can "watch" the balance on the public. Avoid ever importing the private key until you are ready to EMPTY (sweep) all the balance out. That will make it "cold", not ever having imported into a "hot" system.

Bitcoin entrepreneur - OpenBitcoinStore,SafePaperWallet,BitcoinPressCenter.org... and more.
Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
BitVegas

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:00:41 AM

Yes and Yes Smiley

As long as the way you created the paper wallet was secure and you didn't use an easy brain wallet password then it's in safe hands in the cold storage world.... until you import the private key

steelboy (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:04:49 AM

Yes and Yes Smiley

As long as the way you created the paper wallet was secure and you didn't use an easy brain wallet password then it's in safe hands in the cold storage world.... until you import the private key

What makes the way I create secure.

I open bit address.org

Turn off wifi

Generate a few

Close browser

Turn on wifi

Sound good?
Shevek

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:39:05 AM

Yes and Yes Smiley

I open bit address.org

Turn off wifi

Generate a few

Close browser

Turn on wifi

Sound good?

Much better: download the *.html file with the js-code embeded on to your computer. Disconnect internet. Open it with your browser. Do your things.

https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org

Proposals for improving bitcoin are like asses: everybody has one
1SheveKuPHpzpLqSvPSavik9wnC51voBa
steelboy (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:52:51 AM

Yes and Yes Smiley

I open bit address.org

Turn off wifi

Generate a few

Close browser

Turn on wifi

Sound good?

Much better: download the *.html file with the js-code embeded on to your computer. Disconnect internet. Open it with your browser. Do your things.

Thanks mate but icant see how to do that in that link.

Also, how do i go about opening it in my browser?

Thanks for the help
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:14:57 AM

Here, let me spoon feed you.

1. go to www.bitaddress.org
2. save the page, on firefox it's File -> Save Page As; on internet explorer it's File -> Save As
3. copy this file, the html, save it on CD or USB flash.
4. go to another computer that is NOT connected to the internet, and also NOT connected at all to any network at all. preferably a computer that was just freshly formatted and installed the OS; so you know it is clean and has no malware, virus, trojan, keylogger, whatever.
5. copy the bitaddress.org HTML file that you just saved
6. open the file. Use your browser.
7. generate a new keypair.
8. (optional but I highly recommend) get the compressed version of the private key you just generated. Use the Wallet Details tab of bitaddress.
9. save the public key, make a QR code, print it, whatever.
10. secure the private key, encrypt it, print it on paper, write it down by hand, keep it safe.
11. clear the cache, close the browser, shutdown that offline computer. do what you must to make sure there are not other traces of the private keys you generated.

Shevek

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:16:58 AM

Yes and Yes Smiley

I open bit address.org

Turn off wifi

Generate a few

Close browser

Turn on wifi

Sound good?

Thanks mate but icant see how to do that in that link.

There is a button with "ZIP" and an arrow. Push it. It carries the following link (which you cant follow either):
https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org/archive/master.zip

Also, how do i go about opening it in my browser?

Firstly, you must uncompress the file. Then, there are many alternatives, depending on your OS and browser. One of these should work:

* Double click the *.html file
* Click the *.html file with the right button and look for "open with browser" or similar.
* Open your browser. Go to the main menu and look for "open file" (don't confuse it with "open page" or "open URL"). A file browsing dialog will be opened. Look for the directory where you uncompressed the file. Look for the *.html file.

Proposals for improving bitcoin are like asses: everybody has one
1SheveKuPHpzpLqSvPSavik9wnC51voBa
steelboy (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:17:35 AM

Here, let me spoon feed you.

1. go to www.bitaddress.org
2. save the page, on firefox it's File -> Save Page As; on internet explorer it's File -> Save As
3. copy this file, the html, save it on CD or USB flash.
4. go to another computer that is NOT connected to the internet, and also NOT connected at all to any network at all.
5. copy the bitaddress.org HTML file that you just saved
6. open the file. Use your browser.
7. generate a new keypair.
8. (optional but I highly recommend) get the compressed version of the private key you just generated. Use the Wallet Details tab of bitaddress.
9. save the public key, make a QR code, print it, whatever.
10. secure the private key, encrypt it, print it on paper, write it down by hand, keep it safe.
11. clear the cache, close the browser, shutdown that offline computer. do what you must to make sure there are not other traces of the private keys you generated.

Thanks to you guys for this. Exactly what i wanted. Smiley
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:20:09 AM

If you like it, donate me some coin. hehe. pick any address in my sig. Thanks.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: