Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:55:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are exchanges essential for Bitcoin?  (Read 699 times)
flug (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:48:24 AM

If the exchanges became defunct for whatever reason (legal, attacks, etc), would price discovery still be possible just from the trade between bitcoin and goods and services?
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stampbit

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:15:02 AM

nope, if the exchanges go down theres nothing to peg anything to because the exchanges scared away businesses in the first place.
doobadoo

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:27:46 AM

It would be a major setback only in how fast it could be adopted, but i think eventually bitcoin would take hold, albeit much longer without the ease of converting currencies.  People might not adopt because it seems too complicated and sketchy to find a real person to change cash for btc.   These folks would take extra convincing making all our jobs harder.

Additionally, businesses that accept btc, would have to REALLY accept btc and not use bitpay on the backend to convert to fiat.

Under this scenario I see it taking hold in internet circles/tech companies, paying IT guys/programers some of their pay in btc.  Online electronics retailers accepting it. 

You would have to convince some one of the merits of the system and why they should buy some for a really long holding period. 

I actually think this would be the best way.  Xchanges make it easy for the fast money hoards to come and go.    These folks have bought their first bitcoin and they are posting questions like "who publishes bitcoin software"  and "what is the blockchain."  No exchanges mean that some one would first have to develop a level of understanding as to what exactly is going on before they would take the extra step of arranging a means of securing bitcoin. A nonexchange world means a stable, gradually increasing price (as long as we drive adoption faster than mining).

How we would report, and be able to rely on pricing is a big question mark, but i imagine some one will have an answer to that.   I personally hope that the gov'ts take down all the exchanges. 

I;ll be here on the boards, mailing small amounts of cash to people running for the exits and buying btc up for a song, knowing that in the end, the better engineer currency must win.

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
KSV

Activity: 398

SVERIGES VIRTUELLA VALUTAVÄXLING

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 04:06:42 PM

thats when the P2P exchanges rise to the occasion . . . the govts can't win this 1.

case in point - TPB

Trade Bitcoins @ FYB-SE ---> https://www.fybse.se
halfawake

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 01:25:24 AM

Right now, yes, they are in some form or another.  But if bitcoin truly takes off, then they won't be necessary any more.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
Sultan

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 03:13:12 PM

As long as there are markets which we can all have access to, then price discovery will be possible. Markets, especially emerging ones, are incredibly emotional.

At the moment we need exchanges because of the price volatility, so if we ever trade bitcoin, we are, straight away, checking what the latest price on an exchange is.

However, if that spot price on the exchange stayed the same for a while, people eventually won't bother going to the exchange to see how much their bitcoins are worth.

http://images.onbux.com/banner.gif
I then use the money to buy BitCoins. You can too!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: