Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:48:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is GTX 1070 a good GPU miner, and what coin would it be most efficient for?  (Read 5874 times)
Enzyme (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 01:09:19 PM

TITLE EXPLAINS ALL Cheesy
Q_R_V

Activity: 428

Inactivity: 8963

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 01:11:44 PM

Yes, but i would like to see lower price on it, ZEC
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 02:25:42 PM

If you plan to buy it for mining than no. It would take too long to ROI. Nvidia cards are much more expensive for same performance. If you already have the card and don't care about ROI just want to mine a bit then it would be good
Kompik

Activity: 463

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 02:28:07 PM

If you plan to buy it for mining than no. It would take too long to ROI. Nvidia cards are much more expensive for same performance. If you already have the card and don't care about ROI just want to mine a bit then it would be good

440 sols on ZEC @150W - "For the same performance" lol.

To answer the question - yes the gtx 1070 is good for mining. At the moment mine ZEC.

Bitrated user: Kompik.
eckmar
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 03:09:00 PM

To answer the question - yes the gtx 1070 is good for mining. At the moment mine ZEC.

Look at price and performance of amd cards. RX 470 and RX 480 are much better at price/performance ratio. Please ask yourself if Nvidia cards are actually better for mining why great majority still buy amd cards ?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 04:23:13 PM

Look at price and performance of amd cards. RX 470 and RX 480 are much better at price/performance ratio. Please ask yourself if Nvidia cards are actually better for mining why great majority still buy amd cards ?

uh? how can they are better at zec if one 470 is doing 200 sol against a 1070 that can reach 400 sol?

real number at the same wattage are 200 sol vs 380 sol at 90-100watt, but i would always prefer something that can give me good density like a 1070 than something that will do the same job with double the numbers of rig
Kompik

Activity: 463

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 04:24:15 PM

I agree for ETH, but this does not apply for ZEC anymore with the recent nvidia miners. Not to mention that we can expect even more increase of performance.

Bitrated user: Kompik.
eckmar
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 12:02:28 AM

I agree for ETH, but this does not apply for ZEC anymore with the recent nvidia miners. Not to mention that we can expect even more increase of performance.

Looking at long term everyone see ZEC as coin that is failing and will eventually fail. In my mind there is no point in investing at something like that (buying gear that is good for that only)
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 06:52:04 AM

Looking at long term everyone see ZEC as coin that is failing and will eventually fail. In my mind there is no point in investing at something like that (buying gear that is good for that only)

a 1070 is better at lbry too and vertcoin, spread etc...where amd is bad there or you need private expensive miner, etherum is also dying so no point in buying amd for that only
rltim555

Activity: 451
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 09:01:26 AM

STFU dude! See for your self here mr inbred - https://www.nicehash.com/?p=calc

compare yourself gtx 1070 strix vs rx shit 70 and f***k 80!

Sorry pal but the amd improved in wattage means i give not shit! If its power isn't making the cut!

So do your homework before you shit around with your stupid research!

m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224

CryptoLearner

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 09:20:34 AM

Nvidia card are viable for mining, there is a few algo it's good for (zec/xmr/lbry/and such), and it's far from being optimized atm (no custom bios, very few pascal optimised miner), just look at the improvements of zcash mining over the past few weeks, there is talk XMR revolution will also start soon and with nicehash opening their code, i bet that in 6 months or less we will have dozen of optimised nvidia miners.

Their base price is higher that's true, but it's also a much more recent card than 470/480 so as far as optimisation go especially because nvidia miner base is so small there is huge gap to be filled, AMD current cards are nearing their max efficiency.

Also in the long run (like 2 years) they have a much better electricity/performance ratio and also a better resale value (nvidia dominate the gaming market) most 1070/1080 have 3 to 4 years warranty so even in 2 years, i can resell them if i want to @ at least 50-60% of their original value after i roied them 1.5/2x and will have 1 to 2 years warranty left so it'll be easy sell.

I think both solutions have their merits. But don't give nvidia dead already for mining, it has just started, believe me Smiley

To answer to OP, yes zcash is the thing right now, but if we get a new XMR miner (there is one close to be released it seems) it's going to be a very good contender for best nvidia mining for sure Smiley
Rustin

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 09:28:34 AM

That is right. The main problem is that it is too expensive.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 11:41:06 AM

If you already have a 1070, it's definitely worth mining with it.

If you do not, it is NOT competative on the basis of income generated vs. cost of card - even on ZEC which is currently it's BEST income generation, the AMD RX 470 and 480 beat it fairly easily on a cost/hash basis.

If you plan to use the card for something OTHER THAN mining on the long term, it can me worth mining with it to help pay for it.

It is NOT in fact a more recent card than the RX 480 - the 1070 introduction PREdates the RX480 introduction (much less the 470) by 2-3 months.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224

CryptoLearner

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 11:45:59 AM
Last edit: December 31, 2016, 12:01:04 PM by m1n1ngP4d4w4n

If you do not, it is NOT competative on the basis of income generated vs. cost of card - even on ZEC which is currently it's BEST income generation, the AMD RX 470 and 480 beat it fairly easily on a cost/hash basis.

If you plan to use the card for something OTHER THAN mining on the long term, it can me worth mining with it to help pay for it.

It is NOT in fact a more recent card than the RX 480 - the 1070 introduction PREdates the RX480 introduction (much less the 470) by 2-3 months.

I meant more recent in term of mining usage sorry i wasn't accurate. Also from what i see on wikipedia, they were both released in june 15 days apart, that's not alot Smiley
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 12:30:36 PM

this is wrong how the amd 470 and 480 are beating the 1070 on zcash?

just look at the hashrate, the 1070 can do 380 sol at 100 watt against 200 sol at 90 watt for a 470

even if the 470 cost half of one 1070 it's still not better to go with amd, especially if you are going to have many rig where density matter a lot

also by the look how people consider cost/hash they always forget that 4 rig are always far better than 8 rig(if they both perform similar, 380 sol x 6 x 4 vs 200 sol x 6 x 8 ), because you save on computer components that do not mine so you save on cost/hash in the end

not to mention that you save on the consumption as well, 700 watt x 4 rig against 600 watt per 8 rig...no question nvidia is far better, amd is trash at the moment on zec
agente

Activity: 239

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 01:37:12 PM

just look at the hashrate, the 1070 can do 380 sol at 100 watt against 200 sol at 90 watt for a 470

even if the 470 cost half of one 1070 it's still not better to go with amd, especially if you are going to have many rig where density matter a lot

also by the look how people consider cost/hash they always forget that 4 rig are always far better than 8 rig(if they both perform similar, 380 sol x 6 x 4 vs 200 sol x 6 x 8 ), because you save on computer components that do not mine so you save on cost/hash in the end

not to mention that you save on the consumption as well, 700 watt x 4 rig against 600 watt per 8 rig...no question nvidia is far better, amd is trash at the moment on zec

At this moment rx 470 is better than gtx 1070 if we talk about ROI.
Power consume is the same.
rx 470 (200$) in eth (29h/s) today give you 1,2usd/day. ROI in 5,5.
GTX 1070 (400$) in zcash (380sol) today give you 1,8/day. ROI in 7,4

Less power exp of course.
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 01:43:41 PM

my point was about zcash, and there the amd gpu are not better in roi they are worse

we all know that on etheruem nvidia is bad because of the bandwidth but etheruem will die soon, so who care
ol92

Activity: 445
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 01:55:18 PM

my point was about zcash, and there the amd gpu are not better in roi they are worse

we all know that on etheruem nvidia is bad because of the bandwidth but etheruem will die soon, so who care
There is also XMR for amd: around 750h/s for a RX 480 8 (870 for a fury x), with mem oc or bios mod. And we can't be sure whether zcash will remain interesting.

For me I still prefer GTX 1070 for the reasons you talked about (I am selling R9 fury x bought one year ago to be replaced by GTX 1070), but the choice between both card is disputable.
If sp released the xmr miner @900h/s and above for a GTX 1070, there will be an other win for nvidia.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 09:23:38 PM

470 at CURRENT pricing is closer to 40% of the cost of the 1070 not half AND HAS BEEN DROPPING due to competition from the 1060, *AND* is quite a bit more efficient on algorythms OTHER THAN the one used by ZCash - making yourself reliant on ONE specific coin to achieve ROI is a fools game when the coin has shown NO staying power on price and as many core ISSUES as ZCash has had.

Insisting on the 470 mining ZCash *right now* when it's more profitable on ETH and a pair of 470s ON ETH are pulling in about 20% MORE than a single 1070 on ZEC blows your numbers completely away.
 Most miners are NOT going to lock themselves into a less profitable coin for any significant length of time, and that doesn't even factor coin-switching multipools into account.

System cost ends up being at best the same per hash, in MY calculations, on 4 card rigs - you can't get away with or COUNT on that "100 watt for 280 sol/s" figure on ZCash for the 1070 as MOST 1070 don't achieve that, more like 140 watts based on MY stable of various 1070 cards, so you DO end up having to put a beefier PS on a 1070 rig - especially if you don't COUNT on ZCash being profitable for the long run (which is the SMART play).

For the 1070 to become competative on XMR, it would have to achieve closer to 1400 h/s not 900 h/s - 470s RIGHT NOW are widely posted to be achieving more than 700 h/s on that coin.
 I can see a faint possibility of that - the 750ti manages 250 - but if XMR is as memory-hard as ETH is that's gonna be a pipe dream.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 09:41:49 PM

470 at CURRENT pricing is closer to 40% of the cost of the 1070 not half AND HAS BEEN DROPPING due to competition from the 1060, *AND* is quite a bit more efficient on algorythms OTHER THAN the one used by ZCash - making yourself reliant on ONE specific coin to achieve ROI is a fools game when the coin has shown NO staying power on price and as many core ISSUES as ZCash has had.

Insisting on the 470 mining ZCash *right now* when it's more profitable on ETH and a pair of 470s ON ETH are pulling in about 20% MORE than a single 1070 on ZEC blows your numbers completely away.
 Most miners are NOT going to lock themselves into a less profitable coin for any significant length of time, and that doesn't even factor coin-switching multipools into account.

System cost ends up being at best the same per hash, in MY calculations, on 4 card rigs - you can't get away with or COUNT on that "100 watt for 280 sol/s" figure on ZCash for the 1070 as MOST 1070 don't achieve that, more like 140 watts based on MY stable of various 1070 cards, so you DO end up having to put a beefier PS on a 1070 rig - especially if you don't COUNT on ZCash being profitable for the long run (which is the SMART play).

For the 1070 to become competative on XMR, it would have to achieve closer to 1400 h/s not 900 h/s - 470s RIGHT NOW are widely posted to be achieving more than 700 h/s on that coin.
 I can see a faint possibility of that - the 750ti manages 250 - but if XMR is as memory-hard as ETH is that's gonna be a pipe dream.

40% is still bad when you factor density

also you should not consider newegg special offer, not everyone can buy from there, here they are at half the price

a 1070 is also better at other algo like spread and lbry so it's not about zcash only

and yes the 1070 can do 380 sol 100watt, i've tested it with my rig(6 x 1070), 700 watt at the wall and additional 3 x 140mm fan, you can see other people with the same report
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: