Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:19:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bug (?) - Inputs from unconfirmed transaction change addresses  (Read 1037 times)
running (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:25:12 AM

I have a slight bug - or maybe it can't be classified as bug, that's up to you.

I yesterday sent a transaction with a zero fee that was stuck for long hours before confirmation (10 hours, actually). That is fine, if I wanted it faster, I would pay higher fee. No problem there. (10 hours is still a lot, but hey, I paid nothing for it.)

However, when I wanted to send another transaction, even with high fee, that I wanted fast, Electrum used as an input the change address from the unconfirmed transaction, so I had to wait until that confirmed. I had enough money in other change addresses, but Electrum chose the unconfirmed one. That was dumb. (I have Electrum 1.7.1)

So, I propose: prioritize confirmed change addresses before the unconfirmed ones. I don't want to wait on transaction B because transaction A is stuck.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 10:09:08 AM

note that some miners (eligius) implement a "child pays for parent" policy:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/1647

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
running (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:28:10 AM

I am not sure what that means. (Sorry.)

What happened to me:

I sent from address A to address B with change C which had low fee and stayed unconfirmed for hours.

I then wanted to sent something to address D. Instead of using address E with confirmed bitcoins, electrum decided to post it from the address C, so I had to wait until the first transaction confirmed.

That's why I am saying Electrum should prefer using confirmed inputs as outputs.
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 11:38:08 PM

So a new transaction that get stuck because of an older unconfirmed tx can pay the fees of the old one and both got confirmed in the next catch. Right?

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: