Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 08:19:43 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New DDOS now in progress, what will happen?  (Read 2697 times)
simplydt (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 09:50:00 AM

MtGox.com ‏@MtGox 12m
Maintenance Over however we are now under a DDoS attack.
Source: https://twitter.com/mtgox

If they can't handle this DDOS well and the lag gets to 1 hour again things will get nasty. Opinions?

--
Another possibility is just that their twitter got hacked?
San1ty

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:50:56 AM

Interesting. If things go below 100$ I might recover the losses I suffered.

Found my posts helpful? Consider buying me a beer :-)!:
BTC - 1San1tyUGhfWRNPYBF4b6Vaurq5SjFYWk NXT - 17063113680221230777
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:51:33 AM

That's no DDOS.  That's just success.

TOKYO - JAPAN - April 11, 2013

Hi everyone, just a quick update on the situation and what happened last night.

First of all we would like to reassure you but no we were not last night victim of a DDoS but instead victim of our own success!

Indeed the rather astonishing amount of new account opened in the last few days added to the existing one plus the number of trade made a huge impact on the overall system that started to lag. As expected in such situation people started to panic, started to sell Bitcoin in mass (Panic Sale) resulting in an increase of trade that ultimately froze the trade engine!

To give you an idea of how impressive things were here are some numbers that we would love to share with you guys:
- The number of trades executed tripled in the last 24hrs.
- The number of new account opened went from 60k for March alone to 75k new account created for the first few days of April! We now have roughly 20,000 new accounts created each day.

Due to these facts we have been busy working on improving things since last week and our team has been working around the clock to improve Mt.Gox to catch up with the demand. We will continue to release several updates today and in the coming few days to improve our system overall performance.

Also please note that we may have to close the exchange for two hours in the next 12 to 24hrs to add several new servers to our system.

Thank you for your understanding and continuous support!

Regards
Mt.Gox Co. Ltd Team.

Mt.Gox Contact press@mtgox.com

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
HappyBitCoinUser

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:51:50 AM

YAY! Profit time! Buy buy buy!
essem

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:53:02 AM

Next stop 105

odNLRCV^%^NR i STILL HAVE 0.3 BTC TO SELL

FML
simplydt (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 09:53:24 AM

First of all we would like to reassure you but no we were not last night victim of a DDoS but instead victim of our own success!

Indeed the rather astonishing amount of new account opened in the last few days added to the existing one plus the number of trade made a huge impact on the overall system that started to lag. As expected in such situation people started to panic, started to sell Bitcoin in mass (Panic Sale) resulting in an increase of trade that ultimately froze the trade engine!

To give you an idea of how impressive things were here are some numbers that we would love to share with you guys:
- The number of new account opened went from 60k for March alone to 75k new account created for the first few days of April! We now have roughly 20,000 new accounts created each day.

Due to these facts we have been busy working on improving things since last week and our team has been working around the clock to improve Mt.Gox to catch up with the demand. We will continue to release several updates today and in the coming few days to improve our system overall performance.

Also please note that we may have to close the exchange for two hours in the next 12 to 24hrs to add several new servers to our system.

Regards
Mt.Gox Co. Ltd Team.

Well MTGOX seems to think its a DDOS.
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:55:35 AM

Regards
Mt.Gox Co. Ltd Team.

Given their recent statement, I think they have a hard time distinguishing between success and DDoS.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
loanexpress

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:55:59 AM

Yeah, if it's not clear, MtGox posted the message OP quoted on Google+ (and presumably facebook too) literally minutes ago. It's not in reference to yesterday. So this might be a second wave.
giarc

Activity: 122

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:56:43 AM

Regards
Mt.Gox Co. Ltd Team.

Given their recent statement, I think they have a hard time distinguishing between success and DDoS.

To be honest, if I were mtgox i'd blame it on ddos. It sounds better than "we still have laggy servers".

If anything I've said is vaguely useful feel free to show your appreciation
btc: 1MfMjYXnHkGyRSE9f14XJsmxruuiVreEDh
bte: 8dH3WNre8DPyuj3oCFFNetTtVMXygs59t8
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:56:48 AM

Yeah, if it's not clear, MtGox posted the message OP quoted on Google+ (and presumably facebook too) literally minutes ago. It's not in reference to yesterday. So this might be a second wave.

Or a first wave.  Cuz yesterday was nothing more than success.

Sage

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:59:39 AM

Look at history... buy whenever there is a DDOS attack.

Listen, Bitcoin crashed because Mt. Gox couldn't handle the flood of new buyers.  And that caused the panic selling.

The problem is TOO much money wants into bitcoin for the pipes in to handle.

What do you think is going to happen once those pipes get bigger or replaced?

Sheesh... this one is a no brainer.

Buy!
essem

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:01:19 AM

Listen, Bitcoin crashed because Mt. Gox couldn't handle the flood of new buyers.  And that caused the panic selling.

Buy!

you need to work harder on your trollin
simplydt (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 10:02:11 AM

Regards
Mt.Gox Co. Ltd Team.

To be honest, if I were mtgox i'd blame it on ddos. It sounds better than "we still have laggy servers".

lol good point. I havent' seen such levels of incompetence in a while and I've been on the net a big percentage of my life Tongue
giarc

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:02:21 AM

Buy!

The money pipeline analogy might make sense if the market hadn't already nosedived. That doesn't look like too much money moving into the market to me.

desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:05:49 AM

The money pipeline analogy might make sense if the market hadn't already nosedived. That doesn't look like too much money moving into the market to me.

What do you expect from the userbase when it shits itself in panic when significant lag occours?

The market needs to evolve/improve. both on the user's and service provider's side.
GeoRW

Activity: 350
Merit: 257

Trust No One

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:06:18 AM

looks like some angry hackers who lost a lot of money in bitcoin bubble taking a revenge  Cool
San1ty

Activity: 462

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:07:26 AM

looks like some angry hackers who lost a lot of money in bitcoin bubble taking a revenge  Cool

Bitstamp at 140. There is some profit to be made here when we get close to 100.

Found my posts helpful? Consider buying me a beer :-)!:
BTC - 1San1tyUGhfWRNPYBF4b6Vaurq5SjFYWk NXT - 17063113680221230777
giarc

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:07:32 AM

What do you expect from the userbase when it shits itself in panic when significant lag occours?

The market needs to evolve/improve. both on the user's and service provider's side.

I call bull, seems to me lag is being caused by selling not the other way around. If anything lag is slowing the crashes.

keatonatron

Activity: 308

Jack of oh so many trades.

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:07:48 AM

MtGox.com ‏@MtGox 12m

If they can't handle this DDOS well and the lag gets to 1 hour again things will get nasty. Opinions?

--

Is it an attack or just 10's of thousands of people constantly hitting the refresh button in their browser trying to be the first to resume trading?

1KEATSvAhbB7yj2baLB5xkyJSnkfqPGAqk
HappyBitCoinUser

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:18:55 AM

MtGox.com ‏@MtGox 12m

--

Is it an attack or just 10's of thousands of people constantly hitting the refresh button in their browser trying to be the first to resume trading?

I'm hitting refresh now.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: