Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:29:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S3 stops mining  (Read 538 times)
droneslop (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 07:48:45 PM

Hi,

I recently got an Antminer S3. I have it connected by cable to a wireless access point which is again connected wireless to my router. When I power it up, it mines fine. But after a random few hours it stops mining. By this I mean it suddenly gets 0GH/s on the "Miner Status" screen and all shares are discarded. The fans are still running and the web-interface is accessible.

I have done some troubleshooting and this is what I got so far:
-The only way I have found to start mining correctly again is turning the PSU off and on again.
-Rebooting from the S3 menus, restarting the wireless access point, or removing/inserting the LAN-cable does not help. Also, if I do any of this while it is mining correctly, it stops mining as described above and I have to restart the PSU to get it mining again.
-I have tried both static IP and DHCP in WAN settngs. Makes no difference.

Any ideas? I suspect that the problem is triggered by the wireless access point losing the wifi-connection for a short moment (just my speculations), but I have no idea why the S3 is not able to start mining again when the connection is back.
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2016, 12:45:52 AM

I've had a similar problem when I was using an unstable router.
If you internet connection isn't stable, you'll have trouble mining without having to restart the miner.

Not much to do on the miner itself, I'd try to fix the unstable internet issue.
droneslop (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 02:01:57 AM

Thanks for the reply! At least its helpful to hear I'm not the only one with this problem.

I dont think there is much I can do about the network. The wireless access point has a good connection and I have used it before for other applications with no problem. Also, I need run the mining through the wireless access point because the miner in in my basement, too far from the router to cable.

I am hoping there is a way to solve the problem in the Antminer settings. I find it very strange that a reboot from the web-interface causes the mining to stop, and the problem seems to be related to this since it gives the same result.

If I cannot find a way to solve the problem I will make a workaround by connecting the PSU to a timed relay, restarting it every few hours. But if anyone has any other suggestion, please let me know.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: