Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:25:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining after Bitcoins  (Read 1621 times)
lessPlastic (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 01:25:20 PM

I feel with NMC and other -coins starting up, there will be quite a few things left to mine after BTC are all mined out. What's on the horizon?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Synaptic

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 01:26:43 PM

I feel with NMC and other -coins starting up, there will be quite a few things left to mine after BTC are all mined out. What's on the horizon?

bonercoin.
GideonGono

Activity: 2016
Merit: 501

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2011, 01:55:07 PM

bonercoin.

LMAO Cheesy

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 02:03:09 PM

Mining Bitcoins is about being paid for securely processing Bitcoin transactions. The block reward is designed to be replaced by transfer fees. So, even without a block reward, there will still be incentive to mine. Time will tell how much incentive the transaction fees provide. This of course relies on the acceptance and use of Bitcoin in the future.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 12:48:19 AM

bonercoin.

MEGA LAWL!

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

wolftaur

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 01:03:02 AM

There is one service that people always need, and will always need. One service that, when it comes right down to it, they'd pay anything for.

As such, I propose the next shootoff could be Shitcoin. Though we'll need a faster block rate, not many people could actually hold it while waiting for six confirmations with the current block chain's target averages.

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 03:04:37 AM

Mining Bitcoins is about being paid for securely processing Bitcoin transactions. The block reward is designed to be replaced by transfer fees. So, even without a block reward, there will still be incentive to mine. Time will tell how much incentive the transaction fees provide. This of course relies on the acceptance and use of Bitcoin in the future.

^ This. And indeed the transfer fees will be much larger than 50 btc when the bitcoin economy gets going. That said, difficulty will be so high that the "amateur" miner will likely not be involved accept for geek/tech enthusiasts. "Mining" will be carried out by the most efficient companies and clever students that hack their university render farms =)
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 03:33:14 AM

There is one service that people always need, and will always need. One service that, when it comes right down to it, they'd pay anything for.

As such, I propose the next shootoff could be Shitcoin. Though we'll need a faster block rate, not many people could actually hold it while waiting for six confirmations with the current block chain's target averages.

Increasing the block rate means you're undercutting the time for verifications with the same hashing power, which opens up a vulnerability when it comes to network propagation. There's a reason one block every ten minutes was selected, so every node had a chance to 'see' the transactions.

Anything else risks forking the chain more easily than it can now. (And given the collective hashing power, 'easily' isn't such an easy target to hit.)

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 10:22:28 PM

^ This. And indeed the transfer fees will be much larger than 50 btc when the bitcoin economy gets going. That said, difficulty will be so high that the "amateur" miner will likely not be involved accept for geek/tech enthusiasts. "Mining" will be carried out by the most efficient companies and clever students that hack their university render farms =)

Good point. But you forgot that the reward for a block halves every so often so technically when the economy is getting upstarted the 25BTC reward will be complimented with another 25BTC in transaction fees. As the price of bitcoins go up the less the transaction fees become (smaller fractions of BTC). So in essence there will be a cap on the rewards.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

The_JMiner

Activity: 70

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 11:58:59 PM

100 transactions every 10 mins (conservative estimate) x .5 fee = 50BTC  Basically transactions go up and people start adding some BTC to the mix and it will be worth more than the BTC Mining!

DamienBlack

Merit: 1

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 12:13:59 AM

100 transactions every 10 mins (conservative estimate) x .5 fee = 50BTC  Basically transactions go up and people start adding some BTC to the mix and it will be worth more than the BTC Mining!

A .5 fee? That is outrageous. A plausible future I see is bitcoins worth $150, and 10,000 transactions, 1/4 with a .005 fee. That is 12.5 bitcoins, at $150 = $1,875 per block. Currently you get about $700 a block.
The_JMiner

Activity: 70

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 01:13:25 AM

A .5 fee? That is outrageous. A plausible future I see is bitcoins worth $150, and 10,000 transactions, 1/4 with a .005 fee. That is 12.5 bitcoins, at $150 = $1,875 per block. Currently you get about $700 a block.

Your right, I was just trying to show in terms to understand that even when a block solved only gives you 12 or 6 BTC the fee's will easily make up the difference imo.

DamienBlack

Merit: 1

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 01:16:04 AM

Your right, I was just trying to show in terms to understand that even when a block solved only gives you 12 or 6 BTC the fee's will easily make up the difference imo.

Agreed. I don't think the OP understood mining. I think he actually thought that when bitcoins reach the maximum number, mining is done. he did not realize that it will always be used to secure the blockchain, and in the future, mining will be paid on fees.
opticbit

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2011, 03:40:12 AM

bonercoin.

Bonercoin currently requires large amounts of bandwidth, only a back bone is capable of that much data, each bonercoin uses an estimated 1.5 TB/s

relavent info http://jabezz.posterous.com/female-egg-cell-best-hardware-firewall-in-the

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: