Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:45:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: **OFFICIAL? - My BTC-e Account Got Hacked and All Funds Stolen thread  (Read 20464 times)
TimJBenham

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:21:05 AM

Withdraw on email does nothing if you can just change the email address.

Change of email address should always be notified to the old email address.

Notified isn't much good. Does it require email confirmation to change the email address?

That would suck. What if you don't have access to the old email address? (changed ISP, job, whatever).

You are a warlord in the outskirts of the known world struggling to establish a kingdom in the wild lands.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TsuyokuNaritai

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:41:41 AM

Notified isn't much good. Does it require email confirmation to change the email address?

That would suck. What if you don't have access to the old email address? (changed ISP, job, whatever).

Presumably you change it before your email changes. If not, I guess you email BTC-E support and wait a week for a 1-word response.

But if all it does is email you when the email is changed, I don't see how that's any solution to anything, unless like Mt Gox it then waits a day before it will allow you to move coins out.

phr0stbyt3 (OP)

Activity: 672

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 04:56:49 PM

Should, but wasnt. No email notifying me of the email address being changed on my account.
ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 09:41:13 AM

First MtGox delays, then bitcoin-24.com, then terracoin ASICwars (and terrawallet), slush DDoS, now BTC-e. Embarrassed

I do not know if I have been hacked, but I cannot get to my finances, balance, account setting. Written to BTCe support several minutes ago and waiting for reply.

So I recieved a reply: Try to clean Your browser cache
And it worked.
carpetbagger

Activity: 258

You can trust me, I have an avatar

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 10:14:36 AM

Should, but wasnt. No email notifying me of the email address being changed on my account.

Yeah I tried on several occasions to set that stuff up - it never worked for me.

More mass thefts happening on BTC-e:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1ct644/help_me_investigate_this_link_do_not_go_to_unless/

Keep clam & hodl on
Professor James Moriarty
aka TheTortoise

Activity: 434

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 11:19:15 AM

This topic made me realize I should not open up a btc-e account Cheesy
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 10:06:34 PM

Just as a heads up to people, if you adjust your account settings so that you need to be sent an email to make a withdrawal, a hacker who gains access can't change your email address until you validate the change email request via a link sent to your email. So the hacker will need to hack your email address too. If you set up google 2 factor authentication on your email this should be nigh-on impossible unless the hacker gains access to your phone as well.

This was not the case when my account got breached, or it was just simply bypassed. My email and password were changed, and funds withdrawn.

Just an update, I can't get any responses from BTC-e support that have more than a few words of broken english, so I will consider my 4.55 BTC lost as a hard lesson learned:
if it looks like a website from the aol 5.0 era, it's probably just as secure.

Hmm. I've tested this on my account and if I have the 'Withdraw only with request on E-Mail' enabled, to then change the email address or turn off the 'Withdraw only with request on E-Mail' I have to confirm the change by email (This is the first thing I checked months back when I joined btc-e.com, because I realised otherwise it makes the whole email confirmation feature unsafe and pointless if a hacker accesses your acount). Not calling you are a liar but are you absolutely sure you had the 'Withdraw only with request on E-Mail' enabled? If I gave a hacker my password he wouldn't be able to withdraw my funds because he needs my email account to disable the withdraw protection.

Withdraw on email, in this case, is a moot point. The attacker was able to compromise my account, change my password and then change the email address on the account as demonstrated by not being able to reset my password until talking to support 24 hours later.

If 'withdraw only with request on email' is enabled the hacker needs access to your email address to change it. That is my whole point. It's more likely to me you never had it enabled because when it's enabled on my account I can only change the email address by confirming the change by email first, why would your account be any different?
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 12:58:56 PM

This topic made me realize I should not open up a btc-e account Cheesy

aRise Chinkun RiSe!!!!

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
z12

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 07:40:53 AM

Update: So after 20 days of waiting for an answer, I finally regained my access to my account.
Lucky me, all my coins are still there (All my money was in ltc).
I Changed my password and withdrew the coins to a cold storage for the moment till a safe exchange appears.
Shiba

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:11:25 PM

hi, i made a bitcoin deposit of 7.9btc in to my account, but after 129 confirmations on blockchain, it seems my deposit is still stuck at 0 confirmation on btc-e. it over 24hours now.

blockchain transaction- https://blockchain.info/tx/89a51ea735bca437e014e4536974eb442f57900d3fe1d6fbc13d70bc9ca29ced
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:15:51 PM

Note taken: Don't open a account & don't deposit any Bitcoins there, EVER.
captainfuture

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 07:37:19 AM
Last edit: June 30, 2013, 08:40:52 AM by captainfuture

btc-e says invalid email. cant log in.

but i can change my passoword. still cant log in though.

did i get hacked?

opend support ticket, but no answer till yet.

--edit--
i did get an email with ip adresses.
wtf?

no one word. only ip-adresses.
still cant log in with my email.

--edit-- #2

get an email with a link to set a new passowrd.
not a single word. just a link.
i think they wanna drive me crazy.
captainfuture

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 09:04:51 AM

still cant log in
captainfuture

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 06:34:16 PM

after 2 days i got message from support i shall try to log in. they closed my ticket.

??

i still cannot log in.

why they close my ticket, if they dont get answer if i can log in ?

had to get a new ticket. and now i am sure i will get autoanswers the next days again.
captainfuture

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 05:17:44 AM

i got a link to change my password.
the same autoanswers again and again.

i am so upset. i wrote them that i changed password already but i cannot log in and they send me a link to change password.

WTF ??

Anyone can help me or say me what i shall do ?
ychunlau

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 05:11:22 PM

My account got hacked 2 days ago, and all btc is gone(~4btc).
When the hacker logged into my account, no email notification is sent to my email. And no email notification is sent to me when the hacker withdrew my money.
Opened ticket on 18th July and not getting any reply.
I was really angry and ran into the police station to report police.
Got no reply on 19th July whole day so I open another ticket again just now and now i got banned from my account now. Able to login but showing "You have been banned".....

I cannot understand why the hacker can login to my account without sending notification email to me and can withdrew my btc without email request to my email account.

joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2013, 12:15:43 PM

My account got hacked 2 days ago, and all btc is gone(~4btc).
When the hacker logged into my account, no email notification is sent to my email. And no email notification is sent to me when the hacker withdrew my money.
Opened ticket on 18th July and not getting any reply.
I was really angry and ran into the police station to report police.
Got no reply on 19th July whole day so I open another ticket again just now and now i got banned from my account now. Able to login but showing "You have been banned".....

I cannot understand why the hacker can login to my account without sending notification email to me and can withdrew my btc without email request to my email account.

Was there any resolution to this?

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
bnjmnkent

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 01:21:42 PM

... bump ...
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2013, 01:04:48 AM

I've still been using btc-e without issue for months now. Not sure what happened but the guy never replied and was new.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
phr0stbyt3 (OP)

Activity: 672

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 01:07:32 AM

I never got any resolution at all. Only a broken English reply from BTC-e with IP logs for me to do exactly nothing with. Definitely not equipped to handle mainstream traffic and would not recommend. I don't think they even formally acknowledged any sort of account breaches. I filed police reports and all sorts of other formalities with the proper authorities.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: