Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:10:12 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gox trading halted...  (Read 1797 times)
ehoffman (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:40:13 PM

Trading is halted on Gox until 2:00 AM UTC

See https://twitter.com/MtGox

Like my comments?  Cheer me up at 137s1qFV63M6SXWhKkwjaZKEeZX23pq1hw
Don't like my comments, donate to the BCRT (better comment research team) here at 1A1PbZypjEe7yanj69ApVS1FhK8UMW7Wdc Smiley
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:42:02 PM

Who the hell are they to think we need a cooldown? Okay, someone please tell me the next best exchange please.

Btw, this only works if there is one central exchange. But there theoretically is no one central exchange, so effectively they're only blocking their members from trading. If a crash is still occurring, they're not allowing their members to liquidate while other Bitcoin users sell off for higher prices on other exchanges.

Elon Krusky
bitarrow

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:43:58 PM

Who the hell are they to think we need a cooldown? Okay, someone please tell me the next best exchange please.
yes, which exchange has the second most volume ?
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:46:17 PM

yes, which exchange has the second most volume ?

bitcoin-24.com

http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/
uhoh

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:47:41 PM

That's it for me too. I'm fed up with trading blind. I've just moved all my coins to bitstamp, took 10 mins just to sign into gox to do that!

Crazy

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:49:24 PM

Wait, all exchanges are shutting down? And this is a decentralized currency? Lol. More like collusion. Hurts their pockets so they'll do what's best for them. God this looks bad for Bitcoin, and it severely alters my perception of this concept. What a development.

Elon Krusky
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:53:22 PM

I thought they are shutting down to upgrade their servers?

Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:53:32 PM

What's probably happening is MtGox is implementing and testing order spam protection.  They need other exchanges to play along otherwise there could be wild (wilder than we've seen) selling action.  The main exchange is temporarily going down so they need people not to panic.  It's not tin hat foil time.
BIGMERVE

Activity: 728

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 02:56:08 PM

Wait, all exchanges are shutting down? And this is a decentralized currency? Lol. More like collusion. Hurts their pockets so they'll do what's best for them. God this looks bad for Bitcoin, and it severely alters my perception of this concept. What a development.

Calm down. No exchanges are shutting down. Mt.Gox is just taking a quick break while they upgrade their backend so when they do return in a couple hours they will hopefully be able to handle more. This is a good thing.

Manticore

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:57:46 PM

This was about to drop below yesterdays low and Gox halted it. That would be a death sentence for this chart.
smracer
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1055
Merit: 1020

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:59:04 PM

Mt Gox announced yesterday that they were going to shut down to add multiple redundant servers.  But keep spreading the FUD people!  I am buying coins cheap.  Smiley
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:00:10 PM

Calm down. No exchanges are shutting down. Mt.Gox is just taking a quick break while they upgrade their backend so when they do return in a couple hours they will hopefully be able to handle more. This is a good thing.

Yes it is a good thing. I'd be very happy if they paused the market yesterday during the hell 1hour+ lag. It was stupid for them not to. Temporary pauses to remove the lag are fine by me. Better yet if they upgrade their systems and have no lag whatsoever.
SuperHakka

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:01:19 PM

Trading is halted on Gox until 2:00 AM UTC

See https://twitter.com/MtGox

2am utc? That's 11 hours away, long time in the world of bitcoin  Cheesy

'First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they attack you. Then you win.' - Mohandas Gandhi
"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'Would an idiot do this?' and if he would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Schrute
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:02:09 PM

Haha, manipulators are hilarious right now on Reddit.

Everyone should realize that Gox is up pretty much 24/7, at some point they have to take it down for maintenance. We can clearly see they need to.
Hopefully we get all the nonbelievers out, stupid fucks.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
julius

Activity: 82

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:02:36 PM

It is a pity that many had to learn the lesson through the hard way. It only takes some digging up of old threads in the forum to find out that mt gox has been undelivering for a long time.
It is fair to give them credit for their important role they had in the past in spreading the bitcoin. They have made a small fortune out of it, so good for them. But this should be curtains for them.
There are many exchanges out there. I for one don't have a preference, but if the consensus in the forum says let's move to bitcoin-24, bitcoin-24 it is.
Perhaps one of the veterans could open a thread with the pros and cons of all the exchanges and then we could decide by means of a poll which one we should start using.
antimattercrusader

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:09:15 PM

I am all for this if it fixed their lag and they can implement better systems. Yesterday was a joke... they should have pulled the plug then.

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
Manticore

Activity: 70

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:16:16 PM
Last edit: April 12, 2013, 06:46:30 AM by Manticore

Mt Gox announced yesterday that they were going to shut down to add multiple redundant servers.  But keep spreading the FUD people!  I am buying coins cheap.  Smiley

Apparently Mt Gox is spreading the FUD.

Gox Twitter: "Trading is suspended until 2013-04-12 02:00am UTC for market cooldown. Once back trading will be also faster."

IMO They halted this because we were about to go below key psychological level on the chart......
evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:19:38 PM
Last edit: April 11, 2013, 03:38:51 PM by evolve

From MtGox's Website:

Trading is halted until 2013-04-12 02:00am UTC to allow the market to cooldown following the drop in price. Read more details on the support. Additionally trading fees will not be charged within 48 hours of trading resuming (until 2013-04-14 02:00am UTC).

This isn't about an upgrade, this is specifically to manipulate the price.

Crazy

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:31:08 PM

Is bitcoin-24 the next best exchange?

Elon Krusky
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:40:00 PM

From MtGox's Website:

Trading is halted until 2013-04-12 02:00am UTC to allow the market to cooldown following the drop in price. Read more details on the support. Additionally trading fees will not be charged within 48 hours of trading resuming (until 2013-04-14 02:00am UTC).

This isn't about an upgrade, this is specifically to manipulate the price.

Fucking A.

Yeah, I believe mtgox is a huge market manipulator nowadays. A week ago, they "leaked" the news that they are going to support LTC, which made the LTC nearly 10X in a day. But they refuse to give a timeline when they are going to go live with LTC, I doubt they will add LTC within this year or at all.

and now this.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: