Bitcoin Forum
July 18, 2024, 11:31:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which alts are written in Java?  (Read 553 times)
c789 (OP)

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 11:20:52 PM

Several years ago I used a Bitcoin miner from BitMinter that was written in Java, which is odd since almost every miner and coin software is written in C and/or C++.

I know that coin software written in Java won't be nearly as fast as C/C++, but are there any out there currently using Java as the main source?

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
UGMZ

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2016, 11:25:31 PM

I think this link might help you. It shows which ones were running java..

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_software

Thought I think many of the first GPU miners were Java coded.

Also diablo miner is java here is the source code for it.

https://github.com/Diablo-D3/DiabloMiner

UGMZ

50cent_rapper
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 11:43:56 PM

Several years ago I used a Bitcoin miner from BitMinter that was written in Java, which is odd since almost every miner and coin software is written in C and/or C++.

I know that coin software written in Java won't be nearly as fast as C/C++, but are there any out there currently using Java as the main source?

I know nxt, nem, qora, iota, emunie
Maybe there are even more of them
Sourgummies

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 11:47:48 PM

nxt is a java coin? Are you sure?
50cent_rapper
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 11:49:52 PM

nxt is a java coin? Are you sure?

Ofc it/ardor is java coin, cfb is java programmer.
Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2016, 11:59:42 PM

The eMunie platform is written almost entirely in Java, but the long standing myth that Java is much slower than C/C++ no longer holds true in most circumstances.

Sure C/C++ is faster for some operations (big integer/decimal calculations being one of them), but for the most part the performance is pretty comparable (within a % or two) for common operations thanks to a number of optimizations and features.

If you really need the raw speed of C/C++ (or even ASM) Java has whats called the JNI (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Native_Interface) which allows developers to call functions in 3rd party libraries written in whatever language they desire.

JNI allows you to leverage all of the positives of Java, while still being able to drop to a lower level for performance requirements on hardware that supports the required libraries.  If the software is operating on an OS/hardware that doesn't have the library required for the performance kick, then you can execute your operation using a reference function written purely in Java so that it remains portable.

Java gets a lot of shit thrown at it based on facts that are ancient and no longer true, or because people assume it's the same as JavaScript.  In fact they are two totally different languages, developed at different points in time, with totally different purposes in mind.

50cent_rapper
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 12:15:22 AM

The eMunie platform is written almost entirely in Java, but the long standing myth that Java is much slower than C/C++ no longer holds true in most circumstances.

Sure C/C++ is faster for some operations (big integer/decimal calculations being one of them), but for the most part the performance is pretty comparable (within a % or two) for common operations thanks to a number of optimizations and features.

If you really need the raw speed of C/C++ (or even ASM) Java has whats called the JNI (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Native_Interface) which allows developers to call functions in 3rd party libraries written in whatever language they desire.

JNI allows you to leverage all of the positives of Java, while still being able to drop to a lower level for performance requirements on hardware that supports the required libraries.  If the software is operating on an OS/hardware that doesn't have the library required for the performance kick, then you can execute your operation using a reference function written purely in Java so that it remains portable.

Java gets a lot of shit thrown at it based on facts that are ancient and no longer true, or because people assume it's the same as JavaScript.  In fact they are two totally different languages, developed at different points in time, with totally different purposes in mind.

Yes, and you can write on C++ everything you can write on java plus you can write the java itself on C++  Roll Eyes
Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2016, 12:32:42 AM

Yes, and you can write on C++ everything you can write on java plus you can write the java itself on C++  Roll Eyes

Yes and I can write everything in ASM, and I can write C++ in ASM and then Java with the C++ that I wrote in ASM...then I can write an assembler in pure hex instruction codes  Roll Eyes

Point is, just because I can, doesn't mean I should.  Pros and cons to everything.  I'm just highlighting that a lot of the cons associated with Java aren't really cons anymore.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: