Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:28:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New mining calculator with growth consideration  (Read 2254 times)
knatsch (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 02:10:55 PM

Hello together,
This may be not the right place, but since I am considered a newbie, I have to post it here.
Like many of us, I spent some time lately with Bitcoins. Unfortunately, I could not find a suitable
calculator that gives results in regard to the strong ascending difficult. Current calculators almost let me believe
that mining could pay off not bought hardware within a few weeks. In reality, this seems to be no longer the case since the difficulty is growing in high rates lately.
That is why I programmed a calculator for myself. I believe that the result is quite nice so I thought,
why not simply host it publically. You guys might like it too Smiley

Try it out and let me know what you think!
http://striketeam.ath.cx/btccalc/btccalc.php

Regards
knatsch

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
WebMonkey

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 03:22:35 PM

scary!

'monkey

Team Calvary Racing

support the ministry
BTC: 1KXvwsDwRM2RUdwtnff3feuYrHH2a1JHnR
LTC: LWdf2pnmQqBkg7GP7rmfGYCZaAQrjsu2Yx
nick5429

Activity: 79
Merit: 14

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 03:42:17 PM

Sounds great; I'd been looking for something similar.

Unfortunately, your site seems to be down for me Sad
dykast

Activity: 59

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 03:54:42 PM

Not sure people will want to see the results of this...  Cry

Guess I will be able to play WoW at the settings in a few months though Cheesy
MiningMonitor

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 12:51:03 AM

This is a killer calculator, more useful then http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php

Thanks!

naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 01:06:29 AM

Wow this is a great calculator, I've always been interested to see growth as a factor!

knatsch (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 10:24:40 AM

I just updated the calculator. The difficulty is no longer changed every 10 days. Instead, the exact day is derived from the growth factor which should give an even more accurate result.
BitCoinJack.com
Copper Member

Activity: 45

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 12:04:37 PM

Great tool, thanks! Smiley
Nicolai Larsen

Activity: 331
Merit: 250

Earthling

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 01:59:42 PM

I have no idea how to use it lol...

How do I know what the growth is?

BTC: 1GUH16sneWgKuE1ArXrnYKN3njuherJQi1
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 02:05:23 PM

Hello together,
This may be not the right place, but since I am considered a newbie, I have to post it here.
Like many of us, I spent some time lately with Bitcoins. Unfortunately, I could not find a suitable
calculator that gives results in regard to the strong ascending difficult. Current calculators almost let me believe
that mining could pay off not bought hardware within a few weeks. In reality, this seems to be no longer the case since the difficulty is growing in high rates lately.
That is why I programmed a calculator for myself. I believe that the result is quite nice so I thought,
why not simply host it publically. You guys might like it too Smiley

Try it out and let me know what you think!
http://striketeam.ath.cx/btccalc/btccalc.php

Regards
knatsch

Yeah this is awesome stuff this would have saved me hours of tedious calculations. Nice job with the graphs (Bookmarked!)
I have one thought, tho the percentage is kind of confusing, Might I recommend just being able to type in 45 instead of 1.45?
nrp

Activity: 7

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 05:31:05 PM

I just updated the calculator. The difficulty is no longer changed every 10 days. Instead, the exact day is derived from the growth factor which should give an even more accurate result.

Definitely a good choice.  I think the remaining issue is that the difficulty probably can't be modeled as a geometric series.  That is, although the last increase was ~16%, the one before that was like 80%, and the next one may be <10%.  I'm not sure how you could take that into account.

Also, there appears to be a bug if you put a large number in the Growth field.  For example, if you put 5 (500%) in, it gives you a larger number of BTC than if you put in 4 (400%).  You may be overflowing somewhere.
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 06:28:35 PM

Found a 0 division bug. I was hoping that difficulty would never raise  Grin

EDIT: Nevermind. I misread the description. I should type 1 if I don't want the difficulty to raise. The bug still exists though...
knatsch (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 08:52:06 PM

I have no idea how to use it lol...

How do I know what the growth is?
AFAIK the best way is to look at the graphs at http://bitcoin.sipa.be/ to get an idea.

I have one thought, tho the percentage is kind of confusing, Might I recommend just being able to type in 45 instead of 1.45?
The way it is done now indicates more clearly that you can enter values like 0.xx to simulate a negative growth. You might be right though, people could also enter the growth with a leading '-'. Since the calculator is now online for a few weeks it might not be such a good idea to change the input format afterwards, as it confuses the users.

Definitely a good choice.  I think the remaining issue is that the difficulty probably can't be modeled as a geometric series.  That is, although the last increase was ~16%, the one before that was like 80%, and the next one may be <10%.  I'm not sure how you could take that into account.
Yes I am quite aware of this issue but I also see no way of simulating this. By analyzing the graphs at http://bitcoin.sipa.be/ you could take the growth over a greater period as input to get more accurate results but of course this is just another approximation.

Also, there appears to be a bug if you put a large number in the Growth field.  For example, if you put 5 (500%) in, it gives you a larger number of BTC than if you put in 4 (400%).  You may be overflowing somewhere.
Thanks for this hint, I actually introduced a stupid math bug this morning  Angry Should be fixed now.

Found a 0 division bug. I was hoping that difficulty would never raise  Grin

EDIT: Nevermind. I misread the description. I should type 1 if I don't want the difficulty to raise. The bug still exists though...
Yes you got it, just enter '1' into the growth field. Thanks for noticing the division bug, it is now checking for unwanted 0's in the input fields.

zephyr4

Activity: 5

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 10:00:42 PM

Thanks for the calc! Works great
Reacon

Activity: 25

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 11:32:35 PM

It's kind of harsh to see this. I'm just kind of glad I bought a card for gaming, that is also decent for mining. Thus, I haven't spent anything but power on mining so far. When I fall behind even, I guess I'll give it a quits and just trade in BTC.

Thanks for the calculator. Hopefully this will deter some people from being stupid.

Post your address; I wouldn't mind sending you a small tip.
Omneybus

Activity: 6

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 11:51:55 PM

Thanks, interesting. Would love to sneak into the source code Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: