Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 06:54:18 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How will market react when MtGox reopens trade?  (Read 8742 times)
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:15:43 PM

IMO situation is quite clear at the moment: very easy to move coins from exchange to exchange, not so easy to promptly move fiat, therefore price is likely to go down while Gox is closed.

How do you think the market react when Gox opens again?

Super deep flash crash and then recovery?
Bear market with long and continued decline like in 2011?
Fast recovery?
Where are you seeing support and resistance short and mid term?

Place your bets gentlemen.

Nemesis

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:18:19 PM

IMO situation is quite clear at the moment: very easy to move coins from exchange to exchange, not so easy to prompt move fiat, therefore price is likely to go down while Gox is closed.

Fast recovery?

Simple. MtGox will prove itself why its the leading exchange. It hold the largest (by far margin) fiat pool.
Coins from other exchange will pour in and increase MtGox trade volume to record high.

Other exchange? shoot themself in the head.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:20:29 PM

Hopefully they just decided to go ahead and roll out the new trade engine.  If they did, hopefully it was competently built and tested and the lag will disappear.  If they are sticking to their original release date for the new engine and are just hacking together a bandaid for the old system, expect chaos.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:22:27 PM

IMO situation is quite clear at the moment: very easy to move coins from exchange to exchange, not so easy to prompt move fiat, therefore price is likely to go down while Gox is closed.

Fast recovery?

Simple. MtGox will prove itself why its the leading exchange. It hold the largest (by far margin) fiat pool.
Coins from other exchange will pour in and increase MtGox trade volume to record high.

Yeah, but you did not answer my question. How will the market price react?

mobile4ever

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:22:42 PM

Fast recovery?

1) Not a very deep crash, they ( Mt. Gox ) were hacked yesterday. The price rebounded $23 dollars almost immediately.

2) No, value is on the way up, thanks to new ( and different ) support and indestructible bitcoin Smiley

3) Sure

4) Negative people are trolling out there and they will be the drag down in the price. Support comes from those who are the "financial elite" (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=12156.0)

Nikolaj06

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

WINSTARS - We are changing the face of gambling

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:23:32 PM

Fast recovery?

You said this in the Wall observer thread as well, however I'm not sure if you're saying that the price will drop or increase. I only hear talks about volume, and it's obvious that the volume will reach record high, especially with the 48 hours of no fee.. I'm wondering íf Gox can even handle the amount of trades that will cause..

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
WINSTARS -   We are changing the face of gamblingWHITEPAPERANN THREADTELEGRAMFACEBOOK ● Twitter
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1013

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:27:38 PM

The price goes up.
You have the right thought, easy to sell BTC but HARD to buy BTC.   ie.  Say I have 250,000 that I want to commit to BTC as an investment (about the cost of 10 Avalons in the aftermarket), how can I put it to work?  I cannot.   If you add the volume of these "exchanges", it is a JOKE.   Do not forget they double count (one trade is a buy AND a sell so true amount bought is less than half (even lower when you pull out the day traders).   With $250,000 you could dominate the buy side of all these exchanges and smash through all the offers.   
If I could buy a lot of BTC I would.

Nemesis

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:28:31 PM

Fast recovery?

You said this in the Wall observer thread as well, however I'm not sure if you're saying that the price will drop or increase. I only hear talks about volume, and it's obvious that the volume will reach record high, especially with the 48 hours of no fee.. I'm wondering íf Gox can even handle the amount of trades that will cause..

Guess where those fiats are from selling btc at 200? 160?....

yokosan

Activity: 700

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:30:29 PM

It's going down obviously.

1. The people that were buying are now selling.
2. The people that are holding aren't doing anything.
3. People are cashing out, and by that I mean selling and withdrawing the fiat straight to their bank accounts.

From the moment Gox opens the trend is downwards. It's just going to create more panic, more fear, and ultimately lead to a drop to <$50 maybe even <$30.

Let's just add in to the mix the possibility of something else going horribly wrong, oh I don't know lets just say one of the other exchanges got hacked as is a common occurrence in Bitcoins history. With the right variables we could even go <$10.
Wuji

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:31:41 PM

The majority will rush to get their money out of Mt. Gox and flood other exchanges causing them issues.  Mt. Gox will probably still have too much load and continue to lag and crash.

The sell off will continue down to the $30-$50 range and take months or over a year to ever get close to $100 again.
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:31:54 PM

Fast recovery?

You mean flash crash and then immediately back to +$200? Or you are saying that those who sold at $160 will be queing up to buy like crazy at $123.40 (Gox last price)?

Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:33:09 PM

It's going down obviously.

1. The people that were buying are now selling.
2. The people that are holding aren't doing anything.
3. People are cashing out, and by that I mean selling and withdrawing the fiat straight to their bank accounts.

From the moment Gox opens the trend is downwards. It's just going to create more panic, more fear, and ultimately lead to a drop to <$50 maybe even <$30.

Would you like to make a bet on it?   Can anyone craft a bet for the over/under of the price at say 4PM Eastern time tomorrow?

Wuji

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:34:01 PM

You mean flash crash and then immediately back to +$200? Or you are saying that those who sold at 160btc will be queing up to buy like crazy at $123.40 (Gox last price)?

Why would anyone queue to buy at $123.40 when they can buy at $88 right now on another exchange?
Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:35:45 PM

You mean flash crash and then immediately back to +$200? Or you are saying that those who sold at 160btc will be queing up to buy like crazy at $123.40 (Gox last price)?

Why would anyone queue to buy at $123.40 when they can buy at $88 right now on another exchange?

No they CANNOT.   Explain to me how I can buy 10,000 USD of bitcoin RIGHT NOW on any other exchange?  You would have to have an account open with them AND have USD sitting in that account.

Nemesis

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:37:08 PM

Fast recovery?

Supply and demand. Its not easy to send fund into exchange that has volume to buy. (I'm talking large fund).

I find its idiotic to speculate on the price based on other exchanges' price. Look at what Gox's crash done to other exchanges. What make you think its the other way around now.

mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:37:48 PM

The majority will rush to get their money out of Mt. Gox and flood other exchanges causing them issues.  Mt. Gox will probably still have too much load and continue to lag and crash.

The sell off will continue down to the $30-$50 range and take months or over a year to ever get close to $100 again.

That is an interesting prediction, I will have to keep tabs on it.

zarl

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:38:52 PM

is it possible to somehow transfer $ from gox account , to other exchange right now ?
Nemesis

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:39:31 PM

wow... speechless  Roll Eyes

The exchange hold the biggest fiat fund is the one that decide the price idiot.
Wuji

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:39:45 PM

No they CANNOT.   Explain to me how I can buy 10,000 USD of bitcoin RIGHT NOW on any other exchange?  You would have to have an account open with them AND have USD sitting in that account.

I didn't say they could immediately buy on any exchange.  Any person with sense would be transferring their money to another exchange and only put buys in at $88 on Mt. Gox.  A transfer usually takes me around an hour or so.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:40:10 PM

is it possible to somehow transfer $ from gox account , to other exchange right now ?
no

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: