Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:19:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My latest speculation - new currency exchange  (Read 734 times)
Wuji (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:27:50 PM

I'm going to speculate that the next big event with BTC will be a legitimate currency exchange established adopting BTC.  Forex would be an example.  There is a huge hole to fill now and I bet several are scrambling to figure out how to fill the gap.  If I still had an account to buy options I might grab some calls on some of them now.

Edit - I realize Mt Gox will come back online but I believe confidence is lost already and I'm not sure they are going to be able to fix the issues they have fast enough.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
antimattercrusader

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:49:57 PM

+1 although I don't know about Forex.

But there does need to be a new reputable exchange. I've been tossing this idea about, I wish I had put some effort into it when I first thought about it. Now, too little, too late, at least to take advantage of this particular situation.

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
Insarov

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:07:04 PM

The fundamental allure of bitcoins seems awfully ideological, so I think the idea of a decentralized, P2P exchange is the only thing that can save BTC at this point, so I've high hopes for the current projects in that area.  Anything else is prone to manipulation, which really defeats the purpose of BTC.

antimattercrusader

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:17:14 PM

Something like that wouldn't be too hard to setup to trade between the altcoins, but for fiat, regulation would probably make that a pain in the ass to maintain liquidity.

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
Wuji (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:18:58 PM

The fundamental allure of bitcoins seems awfully ideological, so I think the idea of a decentralized, P2P exchange is the only thing that can save BTC at this point, so I've high hopes for the current projects in that area.  Anything else is prone to manipulation, which really defeats the purpose of BTC.

I actually didn't mean a legitimate service to replace all current exchanges.  I simply meant one to come in and take over the majority of trades.  Once that happens other currency exchanges with histories will step in and it will be more decentralized.  I think a company like Forex is less open to manipulation than Mt. Gox but, that is just my opinion.
Wuji (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:21:08 PM

Something like that wouldn't be too hard to setup to trade between the altcoins, but for fiat, regulation would probably make that a pain in the ass to maintain liquidity.

I'm not too informed on the regulation side of things.  Since Mt. Gox is in Japan couldn't any current currency trading operation with a location in Japan mimic Mt. Gox?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: