Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:14:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on price movement when Mtgox reopens.  (Read 4309 times)
sub0 (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:34:21 PM

We are now 3+ hours into the Mtgox 12 hour trading outage and I'm sure everyone is wondering where the price will go when trading resumes.

I think the price will rise and here's why:

If you are anxious to SELL right at this moment; you can open an account with another exchange right away, transfer your coin within an hour and sell them.

If you are anxious to BUY right at this moment; you can open an account with another exchange, but due to the delays in transferring fiat you have no ability to get your funds into that account within the 12 hour window.

Also, presumably, there is a lot of fiat tied up in Mtgox accounts during the outage that is/was intended to be used to buy more coin.

The conclusion being that the ability to buy during the outage is limited whereas the ability to sell is not.

If the above reasoning is accurate, then it seems to me that buying pressure is now suppressed. When trading resumes, that released pressure should push the price higher.

Thoughts?

wopwop

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:36:52 PM

seems legit basis

BUY
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:37:56 PM

I have no idea, however after the NYSE in the US was closed from 9/11 to 9/17/2001, the markets fell about 7% on the open.  I think whichever way BTC<->USD (or other fiat) goes after the open, it will be larger than 7%.  

Your logic below makes some good sense by the way.

We are now 3+ hours into the Mtgox 12 hour trading outage and I'm sure everyone is wondering where the price will go when trading resumes.

I think the price will rise and here's why:

If you are anxious to SELL right at this moment; you can open an account with another exchange right away, transfer your coin within an hour and sell them.

If you are anxious to BUY right at this moment; you can open an account with another exchange, but due to the delays in transferring fiat you have no ability to get your funds into that account within the 12 hour window.

Also, presumably, there is a lot of fiat tied up in Mtgox accounts during the outage that is/was intended to be used to buy more coin.

The conclusion being that the ability to buy during the outage is limited whereas the ability to sell is not.

If the above reasoning is accurate, then it seems to me that buying pressure is now suppressed. When trading resumes, that released pressure should push the price higher.

Thoughts?

empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:38:14 PM

I think they will resume trading and then have to shut down again.

As for price, no way for a big price rise - sideways or down is my bet - especially if the trading lag kicks in again. This is going to get worse before it gets better. Someone needs to replace MtGox and quickly else we'll be back down to $10
ensign_lee

Activity: 886

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:41:17 PM

Can you still withdraw btc from gox during the outage? :?

If so, then yeah, your logic makes sense.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:46:21 PM

It'll fall pretty sharp as more people panic sell, then begin its treacherous climb back up to $250.
ECore

Activity: 420
Merit: 252

https://ubikiri.com/

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 05:49:38 PM

There is nowhere to go but UP.   As soon as the demand for stability is answered then BOOM!!!  EXPLOSION TO THE MOON!   they may try to stop bitcoin but I will never let them hehe.

Integrated Distributed Ledgers
A whole world of different blockchains living together in a single network based on DAG. No more gates, bridges, portals or special nodes connecting blockchains into a single whole. Only one p2p network, consisting of blockchains of various types: from private for state and corporate networks to public for crypto projects.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:59:35 PM

It'll fall pretty sharp as more people panic sell, then begin its treacherous climb back up to $250.

It will drop like a rock, i'm sure about that, but i don't see it climbing back to 250 any time soon, maybe back up to 50 in a few weeks, slowly.. Which is only good for price stability.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
ABitBack

Activity: 524
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:59:58 PM

I'm glad they did close this so that everyone has time to become aware of the situation. BUT! Mt.Gox is not going to hold up when everyone gets on it at opening times. They need to use this time to get their shit together and handle this like a boss.

blockbet.net

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Admin at blockbet.net

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 06:02:36 PM

Depends on which side has more capital...

Newbies with their bitcoins vs enthusiasts with their dollars (or other currency)

My expectation is that the enthusiasts will buy all the available cheap bitcoins pretty quickly, and from there on, it will continue to rise again.

(I won't be involved in the trade either way)

Bitcoin Sports Betting online at www.blockbet.net, featuring NBA, NHL, UFC, football (soccer) and international competitions. Fast payouts directly to your wallet, great win odds, no need to register or deposit. Bet in just a few clicks now!
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:03:25 PM

There is nowhere to go but UP.   

Mtgox has basically said, "Come get your money when we re-open".

The price will tank but will recover someday.
Boelens

Activity: 672

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:22:04 PM

I'm very confident it will go up very quickly. I'll be buying some BTC and watch it go up, and watch my profits.
Gimpeline

Activity: 555
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:24:46 PM

I think it will go a little down at first and then up again
vdragon

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 06:28:07 PM

Gox has to rewrite its whole software, because this one was written by retards, and also had to make some kind of filters.

My USB Erupter GROUP BUY https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252180.0

Hungary (south) based trader - accepting/sending bank transfers, also willing to meet in person
nikkisnowe

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:29:05 PM

What will it open at?
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:32:23 PM

I think it will go down. I feel like this action, combined with the media flurry that's going to follow this action will result in a panic in many people.

One of the reasons (amongst others) that BTC has soared in price recently is due to lost confidence with banks and governments. The recent plunge in prices, ddos attacks, exchanges halting trades is going to result in a lot of lost confidence in bitcoin amongst the speculators and people who just jumped on in hopes to get rich quick.

I hope it doesnt happen, but if I had to get a guess (and I could be wrong) I think prices will drops.  I don't see how any of this helps build confidence that bitcoin is a sound investment.  These type of things simply dont happen in stable investments.

This reminds me of cyprus. Banks/government were worried about everyone taking their money out so they froze everyones account.  Now mt. gox seems to be doing the same. Anytime somethings gets frozen in it's tracks it sends the message that people who have the power to do so aren't confident.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:36:24 PM

It seems the general consensus is down, any suggestions on a time scale? A week, a month? Just curious as I will be able to start buying in a couple of days. This is just out of curiosity, I wont be acting on peoples predictions lol.
kgo

Activity: 548

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:39:46 PM

Last time, after they ended up being down for weeks, it actually wasn't that crazy when trading resumed.  Everyone acted reasonably.  But then slowly and surely over months the price went down until it bottomed out at $2.
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 06:46:03 PM

Last time there was a major BTC meltdown due to their error, they reversed everything didn't they?

kgo

Activity: 548

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:49:13 PM

Last time there was a major BTC meltdown due to their error, they reversed everything didn't they?

Yes.  But that wasn't a real meltdown.  Real BTC and $ weren't being exchanged.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: