Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:42:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-04-11 BBC News: The Bitcoin bubble  (Read 798 times)
P_Shep (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:48:00 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22110345

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Nancarrow

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:42:00 PM

On the whole, an excellent article. I'd make a minor quibble:

The whole cumbersome process of getting and spending the currency... convinced me of one thing - that Bitcoin was not yet much use except as a means of speculation.

... OR store of value.

The only reason to get hold of Bitcoins right now is because you think they might be worth a lot more in a few hours or days.

Not quite the only reason. Your timeframe might instead be months, years and even decades. Which really does change the... *giggles*... 'impact' of this crash.

But unless and until Bitcoin can be used to buy a sandwich, or be accepted by your friends when you pay them back for a restaurant meal, then it is likely to remain just a playground for geeks and gamblers.

This is the crux of the matter. Bitcoin *can* survive indefinitely as a store of value, but it would be worth so much more if it could also be a means of transaction. Actually I don't particularly need it to be viable at POS, just rent and utilities bills would be great. But groceries, even better.

One thing's for sure: this crash is NOT newsworthy in the grand scheme of things, it's only newsworthy because reporters and journalists have a job to do, and they can't talk about Margaret Fucking Thatcher *all* the time.

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: