Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:17:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [TESTING] Sending SMS with bitcoin  (Read 10408 times)
MagicalTux (OP)
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
November 10, 2010, 01:03:10 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2010, 01:04:56 PM by MagicalTux

Hi,

I'm testing a service I put together quickly: for 0.50 BTC you can send a SMS anywhere in the world.

I implemented a small "wallet" where you can load & unload bitcoins easily (without any fee, of course) and a really limited interface (you'll soon see how bad I am at design).

NB: Loading coins to the wallet will wait for 3 confirmations (~30 min).

URL: http://smsz.net/

Missing features:
  • View status of previously sent SMS, including transfer status
  • Change password/email page
  • Longer messages (will bill 0.5BTC * ceil(length_of_message / 160))
  • Ability to send messages coming from your own phone number (you put your phone number, pay 0.5BTC, receive a code by SMS you then enter on the site and voila)
  • Phone number book
  • When entering the destination phone number, the input should be prefixed of country list with number prefix (need to find a database with country iso code -> country phone code list)
  • Feature for payments (generate payment urls compatible with mobile phones?)

Anyway before spending more time on that, some feedback would be welcome.

Remember to enter numbers in international format (+<country_code>.<phone_number>)!! Even if you make a mistake in the number, the SMS will be sent to the gateway and you'll be billed anyway.

Oh and if you are interested in sending large amount of SMS I can put together an API too Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Anonymous

November 10, 2010, 01:15:19 PM

Hi,

I'm testing a service I put together quickly: for 0.50 BTC you can send a SMS anywhere in the world.

I implemented a small "wallet" where you can load & unload bitcoins easily (without any fee, of course) and a really limited interface (you'll soon see how bad I am at design).

NB: Loading coins to the wallet will wait for 6 confirmations (~1 hour).

URL: http://smsz.net/

Missing features:
  • View status of previously sent SMS, including transfer status
  • Change password/email page
  • Longer messages (will bill 0.5BTC * ceil(length_of_message / 160))
  • Ability to send messages coming from your own phone number (you put your phone number, pay 0.5BTC, receive a code by SMS you then enter on the site and voila)
  • Phone number book

Anyway before spending more time on that, some feedback would be welcome.

Remember to enter numbers in international format (+<country_code>.<phone_number>)!! Even if you make a mistake in the number, the SMS will be sent to the gateway and you'll be billed anyway.

Oh and if you are interested in sending large amount of SMS I can put together an API too Smiley

Now I can send a twitter message with bitcoin  Cheesy
MagicalTux (OP)
VIP

-

View Profile
November 10, 2010, 01:17:47 PM

Mh, I think there are easier ways to do that with a computer Cheesy
Anonymous

November 10, 2010, 01:29:09 PM

Mh, I think there are easier ways to do that with a computer Cheesy

An astronaut recently could have chosen to check into foursquare using his computer but instead chose to do it in space Smiley

mpkomara

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 10, 2010, 02:02:13 PM

i can't understand the international format you wish me to use, neither on this forum nor on the website.  what kind of example is +1.0000000000?
MagicalTux (OP)
VIP

-

View Profile
November 10, 2010, 02:24:20 PM

i can't understand the international format you wish me to use, neither on this forum nor on the website.  what kind of example is +1.0000000000?

The format is +<country_code>.<number>

So if you live in France, it'd be: +33.612341234 or in US: +1.1231231234 or in Japan: +81.8012341234

I guess I could change the phone number input to use a dropdown box per country for the prefix, would probably help.
bit-numismatist

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2010, 04:42:22 PM

Good beginning, but I would like to see such feature like sending e-mail to sms. Is it possible?
MagicalTux (OP)
VIP

-

View Profile
November 10, 2010, 10:25:13 PM

Good beginning, but I would like to see such feature like sending e-mail to sms. Is it possible?

It is possible, I'd have to find a "good" way to make sure the SMS is indeed from you. For example a special email (your login @smsz.net) with a special keyword in the subject followed by the destination phone number, and the SMS itself in the body of the mail.

How does that sound?
Anonymous

November 10, 2010, 10:39:26 PM

How hard would it be to create a service outlined in this thread-and send bitcoins by sms?

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1739.msg21368#msg21368

Since you already have btc in your sms wallet if you received a qr coded bitcoin address could you route a bitcoin payment to the address it gives you?

MagicalTux (OP)
VIP

-

View Profile
November 10, 2010, 10:57:24 PM

How hard would it be to create a service outlined in this thread-and send bitcoins by sms?

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1739.msg21368#msg21368

Since you already have btc in your sms wallet if you received a qr coded bitcoin address could you route a bitcoin payment to the address it gives you?

This shouldn't be hard, however you would only be able to pay with bitcoins already in your wallet (if not, you'd have to transfer more bitcoins first, which would take one hour to clear).

I could make a simple service to allow sending bitcoins from one wallet to another (or transform bitcoins into an encrypted QR code a merchant could then redeem instantly online, verifying it in the process). I could make this an android/iphone app by using PhoneGap Wink

Now the problem is to find merchants with QR code readers (or webcam able to focus on close objects + appropriate QR-decoding soft) ready to sell stuff for bitcoins
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
November 10, 2010, 11:43:38 PM

Now the problem is to find merchants with QR code readers (or webcam able to focus on close objects + appropriate QR-decoding soft) ready to sell stuff for bitcoins

The merchants will be the ones with QR-codes listed on products; customers snap a picture with their mobile to add to a shopping cart, or initiate payment.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
MagicalTux (OP)
VIP

-

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 11:05:33 AM

The merchants will be the ones with QR-codes listed on products; customers snap a picture with their mobile to add to a shopping cart, or initiate payment.

Well then that's easy.

I was thinking of doing something anyway... Didn't plan to put that in the SMS site however Wink
Anonymous

November 11, 2010, 11:47:38 AM

Well then that's easy.

I was thinking of doing something anyway... Didn't plan to put that in the SMS site however Wink

Cool. I see such a thing as similar to carrying change in your pockets not a large wad of cash like a gangster.  Grin

mimarob

Activity: 354
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 30, 2010, 12:52:45 PM

Wow it worked, i'm very impressed!

I can't for the life of me understand how the payments made their way to my sms account.  Huh

First I made a registration with my email and a username / password.

Then, since I had the bitcoin client on another computer, I made a payment to the bitcoin address at smsz.net

How could smsz know how to credit my specific account?  Huh

mimarob

View Profile
December 30, 2010, 12:54:18 PM

I read up today and found out that the US seem to have blocked the non-number caller-id's (such as BITCOIN, SANTACLAUS etc.) unless you pay a huge subscription fee.

Will this application work in the US? Anyone over there tried it? please do!

Another thing that most similar sms-services have is the number of the sms-sender. In fact many services demand that you validate your phone number in the same way as you did here with the email. Only allowing a verified sender number would also reduce the risk of someone using the service for spamming.

www.clickatell.com offers you to send any number as your originator, then the application writer can chose to mask this for its subscribers, but it seems they need to charge a lot for this to work in the US.

Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
January 01, 2011, 04:29:28 PM

Pretty cool stuff. Just a suggestion - to make it easier/quicker to sign up (which is critical for these things) you could allow logins via Facebook/Google accounts. You could also just use a BitCoin address as the login. Like, if I'm new to the site, I press a button and you give me a fresh, personal address to send coins to. Then simply knowing that address is effectively the username and password.

I guess the risk with that is, if somebody watches the block chain and figures out that you own the address, they could spend other peoples SMS credits. You'd have to ensure that after you spend the coins sent to you, the addresses are invalidated.

I'm also curious why you wait for 3 blocks. Do you think the risk is really so high? For such small amounts you should really be able to just wait until a transaction is received and accepted by your node, the risk at that point is really low already.
fabianhjr

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Do The Evolution

View Profile
January 01, 2011, 04:57:57 PM

How could smsz know how to credit my specific account?  Huh

It generates an address exclusively for each client. That means that you could share that address and have other people pay for you.

mimarob

View Profile
January 03, 2011, 08:14:37 PM

gosh, that simple, not the thing you would normally do with paypal :-)

JackSparrow

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 07:42:19 AM

My wallet balance on smsZ.net is "-1.00" and I can't send sms anymore.

I think there has to be something wrong with the calculation.

Recent Activity:
Code:
Date                                  	Type  	Amount	Balance	Info
Fri 01 Apr 2011 05:30:00 AM JST in    +4.00 4.00    (confirmed funds)
Fri 01 Apr 2011 05:58:02 AM JST spent -0.50 3.50    Target phone number invalid!
Fri 01 Apr 2011 05:58:03 AM JST earned +0.50 4.00    (refund for unsent message)
Fri 01 Apr 2011 05:59:07 AM JST spent -0.50 3.50  SMS sent (xxx)
Fri 01 Apr 2011 06:01:08 AM JST spent -0.50 3.00    SMS sent (xxx)

So the balance should be +3.00.

Any recommendations?
MagicalTux (OP)
VIP

-

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 08:06:59 AM

EDIT: I see your problem, should be better~
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print