Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:33:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seed lost, but have password....  (Read 646 times)
hidolfo (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2017, 09:03:27 PM

Hello guys, I`m new in the forum, sorry but I lost my seed and I cant access to my wallet, the thing is that I got my password. Can someone help me please?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2017, 10:16:50 PM

Hello guys, I`m new in the forum, sorry but I lost my seed and I cant access to my wallet, the thing is that I got my password. Can someone help me please?

If you have the password, why cant you access the wallet?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
January 02, 2017, 10:34:07 PM

do you have a copy of the wallet file?
hidolfo (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2017, 11:05:06 PM

No, I havent. I changed my OS
moonpie45

Activity: 55

View Profile
January 02, 2017, 11:16:44 PM

The ELI5 explanation:

Your password simply encrypts your seed within your wallet file. If you have your wallet file, then you can use your password to decrypt your wallet file to get your seed (and access to your funds). If you have your seed, then you can simply create a new wallet file with your seed to get your BTC.

If you recently formatted your HDD, then you may be able to recover your wallet file with file recovery software. If you had any significant amount of BTC in your wallet then you should stop using your computer that your wallet was stored on immediately (do not even touch it), and use a second computer to download file recovery software to search your formatted HDD for your wallet file.

If the file recovery software cannot find a good version of your wallet file, then you may wish to bring your HDD in to a computer repair shop who may be able to recover your wallet.

If you have any backups of your wallet, then you can skip all of the above, and use the backups.
hidolfo (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 01:11:11 AM

Oh holy science  Shocked
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 01:20:49 AM
Last edit: January 03, 2017, 03:14:50 PM by jackg

If you have the password, why cant you access the wallet?

It could be electrum? If it is then the password is a useless thing to have without the seed and data directory.

What platform were you using? E.G: Electrum, Bitcoin Core, Blockchain.info...
There is no other way to solve this without knowing that information.

The ELI5 explanation:

Your password simply encrypts your seed within your wallet file. If you have your wallet file, then you can use your password to decrypt your wallet file to get your seed (and access to your funds). If you have your seed, then you can simply create a new wallet file with your seed to get your BTC.

If you recently formatted your HDD, then you may be able to recover your wallet file with file recovery software. If you had any significant amount of BTC in your wallet then you should stop using your computer that your wallet was stored on immediately (do not even touch it), and use a second computer to download file recovery software to search your formatted HDD for your wallet file.

If the file recovery software cannot find a good version of your wallet file, then you may wish to bring your HDD in to a computer repair shop who may be able to recover your wallet.

If you have any backups of your wallet, then you can skip all of the above, and use the backups.

I'm not sure file recovery software will work here but it's worth a try (as the data file is stored as a .dat which is similar to .txt so doesn't have any defining signaures.
Also, if you have the wallet.dat file then copy that into the data directory and your wallet will be restored (although you may need to find where the seed and password is stored).

Edit: sorry, I forgot there was an electrum sub forum on this forum.

Also, if the file is stored in a plain text format it will be difficult (but not impossible to recover). If there was a sufficient then send the hard drive to a data recovery place.
moonpie45

Activity: 55

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 03:26:01 AM

I'm not sure file recovery software will work here but it's worth a try (as the data file is stored as a .dat which is similar to .txt so doesn't have any defining signaures.
Also, if you have the wallet.dat file then copy that into the data directory and your wallet will be restored (although you may need to find where the seed and password is stored).
This thread is in the electrum subforum, so it is probably safe to assume hidolfo is using electrum, so he probably does not have a "wallet.dat" file

.txt (and similar) files are able to be recovered by some file software recovery programs; a quick google search came back with several results.
hidolfo (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 12:57:23 AM

Hello everyone, affirmative I'm using Electrum. I finally found the wallet file but, it`s a wallet.py and found default_wallet too, unfortunately it's damage and Electrum does not recognize it. What can I do ?  Huh
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 01:24:01 AM

Hello everyone, affirmative I'm using Electrum. I finally found the wallet file but, it`s a wallet.py and found default_wallet too, unfortunately it's damage and Electrum does not recognize it. What can I do ?  Huh

You could try to recover the file to the pre-damaged format (it may be in a temp folder from the OS you used it initially so may be untraceable itself now you've change the OS).
I don't think the wallet.py file is to do with that electrum wallet.

You could try opening the file in notepad.exe (or equivalent) and see if you can get the encrypted seed. Then decrypt the seed with your known pasword and try to use that to decrypt the rest of the private keys. ONCE THE FILE IS RECOVERED.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2017, 08:22:02 PM

Hello everyone, affirmative I'm using Electrum. I finally found the wallet file but, it`s a wallet.py

Thats not your wallet file.

and found default_wallet

Thats likely your wallet file.

too, unfortunately it's damage and Electrum does not recognize it.

What is the exact error you get? What exactly did you do in order to see the error in question.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
hidolfo (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 02:48:47 AM

I copied the file into electrum wallet directory ( C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\Electrum\wallets ) but, the program doesn't starts
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 11:14:52 PM

I copied the file into electrum wallet directory ( C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\Electrum\wallets ) but, the program doesn't starts

Do you have a folder called "certs" in the folder along with files "config", "daemon", "blockchain_headers" and "recent_servers"?
If these files are missing, copy the default_wallet.file to a different lace and try to create a new wallet. Once the new wallet is made, all of the other files and folders will be set up correctly and ou can recopy the default_wallet.file.

(But first check that you have definitely decrypted the seed correcty for it to be loaded into the electrum wallet).
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 11:31:34 PM

Delete the blockchain_headers and config file found here:

C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\Electrum\

Start electrum. If it doesn's start then take a look at your default_wallet file using a text editor like notepad. Can you see human readable text? It should look something like this:

{
    "addr_history": {
        "31jzSRFoE43phdCxRX2YzTi7gYQ87v5ua6": [],
        "32Q6jqBd7grFGW2wkW1xBL1JHgukyHDEkk": [],
        "3Prxq8Qas7oJVnrFRBHxeoAzaB99hd9U6y": []
    },
    "pruned_txo": {},
    "pubkeys": {

The above is just an example. Your addresses most likely start with 1. The point being that it should be readable text. Do you see something like this?
hidolfo (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 08:12:09 AM

This is the result of recovery:

Filename: default_wallet
Path: C:\?

Size: 9,91 KB (10.156)

State: Unrecoverable

Creation time: 25/11/2016 23:54

Last modification time: 26/11/2016 03:28

Last access time: 26/11/2016 03:28

Comment: This file is overwritten with "C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-vssservice_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_5aa3249a792b0938\VSSVC.exe"

3 file cluster(s) overwritten (0, 1, 2)

2 cluster(s) allocated at offset 185779
1 cluster(s) allocated at offset 194349

and this is what is inside the file:

a r t   f r o m   % d   t o   % d       C a n n o t   f i n d   n e w   d i s k   n u m b e r   f o r   % s     E r r o r   -   C a n n o t   f i n d   p o s t - r e s y n c   d i s k   n u m b e r   f o r   % s     C a n n o t   o p e n   h a n d l e   f o r   d i s k   % s     E r r o r   -   C a n n o t   o p e n   h a n d l e   t o   p o s t - r e s y n c   d i s k   % s       I s R e b o o t R e q u i r e d ( % s )   r e t u r n e d   t r u e   f o r   D i s k   % d     D i s k   % d   r e q u i r e s   a   r e b o o t   i n   o r d e r   t o   c o n t i n u e ,   r e s y n c   c a n n o t   c o n t i n u e   w i t h   t h i s   d i s k       S e t u p D i C a l l C l a s s I n s t a l l e r ( D I F _ P R O P E R T Y C H A N G E ,   % s )   f a i l s   f o r   D i s k   % d   w i n e r r o r   % d   S e t u p D i C a l l C l a s s I n s t a l l e r ( D I F _ P R O P E R T Y C H A N G E ,   % s )   f a i l s   t o   r e s t a r t   w i n e r r o r   % d     S e t u p D i S e t C l a s s I n s t a l l P a r a m s ( % s )   f a i l s   f o r   D i s k   % d   w i n e r r o r   % d     S e t u p D i S e t C l a s s I n s t a l l P a r a m s ( % s )   f a i l s   w i n e r r o r   % d     R e s t a r t i n g   d i s k   d e v i c e   % s       L u n   i n f o   o f   d i s k   % s   n o t   e x p e c t e d .   I g n o r i n g .   C V s s H a r d w a r e P r o v i d e r W r a p p e r : : R e s t a r t D i s k I f R e s y n c T a r g e t     F o u n d   v o l u m e   n a m e   % s   f o r   a r r i v e d   v o l u m e   G e t V o l u m e N a m e F o r V o l u m e M o u n t P o i n t ( % s )   f a i l   o n   s e c o n d   t i m e .   w i t h   0 x % 0 8 l x   a f t e r   m a t c h i n g .   W e   c a n n o t   a c c e p t   t h i s   v o l u m e   G e t V o l u m e N a m e F o r V o l u m e M o u n t P o i n t ( % s )   f a i l s   w i t h   0 x % 0 8 l x   a f t e r   m a t c h i n g .   W e   c a n n o t   a c c e p t   t h i s   v o l u m e         E x t e n t s   f o r   v o l u m e   % s   n o t   f o u n d .   I g n o r i n g .     L u n   i n f o   o f   v o l u m e   % s   n o t   e x p e c t e d .   I g n o r i n g .       C V s s H a r d w a r e P r o v i d e r W r a p p e r : : C h e c k L u n M a t c h e s D e s t i n a t i o n   C V s s H a r d w a r e P r o v i d e r W r a p p e r : : C h e c k U n s e l e c t e d V o l u m e     V o l u m e   % s   i s   o n   d i s k   % d   V o l u m e   % s   r e t u r n s   % d   e x t e n t s ,   s o   i t s   a   d y n a m i c   d i s k / v o l u m e ,   r e s y n c   c a n n o t   i n v o l v e   e i t h e r   o f   t h e m ,   w e   c a n   i g n o r e .         F a i l   t o   g e t   e x t e n t s   f o r   t h e   v o l u m e   % s .   [ 0 x % 0 8 l x ] .       C V s s H a r d w a r e P r o v i d e r W r a p p e r : : G e t V o l u m e D i s k N u m b e r     D i s k   % d   i s   n o t   t h e   q u o r u m   d i s k     D i s k   % d   i s   t h e   q u o r u m   d i s k         F a i l e d   t o   f i n d   p r o p e r t i e s   f o r   t h e   d i s k     T h i s   i s   n o t   t h e   d e s t i n a t i o n   d i s k ,   i g n o r i n g     F o u n d   c l u s t e r e d   d i s k   % d   F a i l e d   t o   f i n d   d i s k   n u m b e r   f o r   t h i s   c l u s t e r e d   r e s o u r c e     I g n o r i n g   o f f l i n e   r e s o u r c e       C V s s H a r d w a r e P r o v i d e r W r a p p e r : : C h e c k D e s t Q u o r u m C a l l b a c k         O p e n C l u s t e r R e s o u r c e   f a i l s   t o   g e t   c l u s t e r   r e s o u r c e   h a n d l e   f o r   t h e   r e s y n c   d e s t i n a t i o n   % d   w i t h   w i n e r r o r   % d   R e s U t i l G e t R e s o u r c e N a m e   f a i l s   f o r   t h e   r e s y n c   d e s t i n a t i o n   % d   w i t h   w i n e r r o r   % d   T h i s   c l u s t e r   r e s o u r c e   i s   n o t   a   r e s y n c   d e s t i n a t i o n       C V s s H a r d w a r e P r o v i d e r W r a p p e r : : C l u s t e r e d D i s k C a l l b a c k     P r o v i d e r   { % . 8 x - % . 4 x - % . 4 x - % . 2 x % . 2 x - % . 2 x % . 2 x % . 2 x % . 2 x % . 2 x % . 2 x }   h a s   n o   r e s y n c   w o r k   t o   d o .       F o u n d   a n   u n s e l e c t e d   v o l u m e   o n   t h e   r e s y n c   d e s t i n a t i o n ,   n o   i g n o r e   f l a g   g i v e n .   R e j e c t i n g   r e s y n c   o p e r a t i o n .   C V s s H a r d w a r e P r o v i d e r W r a p p e r : : P r e R e c o v e r S e t     R e s y n c   f a i l s   b e c a u s e   o n e   o r   m o r e   r e s y n c   d e s t i n a t i o n s   c o u l d   n o t   b e   r e s t a r t e d   w i n e r r o r   % d   h r e s u l t   0 x % 0 8 l x .         E r r o r   -   u n e x p e c t e d l y   f o u n d   t h a t   n o t   a l l   d i s k s   a r r r i v e d   o r   w e r e   r e s t a r t e d .       T e r m i n a l   e r r o r   -   o n e   o f   t h e   r e s y n c   d e s t i n a t i o n s   w e n t   u n u s a b l e .     E r r o r   i n   p o s t   r e s y n c   d i s k s .   M a y b e   s t o r a g e   i d e n t i f i e r s   c h a n g e d .     E R R O R :   N o t   a l l   d i s k s   w e r e   s u c c e s s f u l l y   r e s t a r t e d .   S e e   b e l o w   m i s s i n g   r e s y n c   t a r g e t   L U N s .   S e t u p D i G e t C l a s s D e v s ( D i s k C l a s s G u i d ,   N U L L ,   N U L L ,   D I G C F _ D E V I C E I N T E R F A C E   |   D I G C F _ P R E S E N T )       C V s s H a r d w a r e P r o v i d e r W r a p p e r : : R e s t a r t R e s y n c e d D e s t i n a t i o n D i s k s         D y n a m i c   v o l u m e   a r r i v a l   % s ,   c a n n o t   b e   f o r   r e s y n c .         A l l   e x p e c t e d   v o l u m e s   h a v e   a r r i v e d .   S t o p p i n g   P N P   w a i t         D e c r e m e n t e d   e x p e c t e d   v o l u m e   c o u n t   % d   - - >   % d   C a n ' t   b u i l d   L U N   i n f o   f o r   t h e   r e s y n c   v o l u m e   % s .   I g n o r i n g .         P o s t - r e s y n c   v o l u m e   % s   f o u n d   a t   r u n d o w n   % d .   C h e c k i n g   s t a t e   o f   e a c h   e x t e n t     V o l u m e   n a m e   % s         C V s s H a r d w a r e P r o v i d e r W r a p p e r : : O n V o l u m e A r r i v a l F o r R e s y n c       F o u n d   u n s e l e c t e d   v o l u m e   % s   o n   d i s k   % d .   T r i g g e r i n g   c h e c k   D i s k   i n   r e c o v e r y   s e t ,   i g n o r i n g   % s   d i s k   % d       I n v a l i d   v o l u m e   f o r   r e s y n c ,   i g n o r i n g   % s     V o l u m e   i n   r e c o v e r y   s e t ,   i g n o r i n g   % s   I n v a l i d   v o l u m e ,   i g n o r i n g   % s   C V s s H a r d w a r e P r o v i d e r W r a p p e r : : C h e c k U n s e l e c t e d V o l u m e I t r       T e r m i n a l   e r r o r   -   c a n n o t   e n u m e r a t e   r e s o u r c e s   i n   c l u s t e r   l a s t   e r r o r   % d .   A b o r t   r e s y n c .   P h y s i c a l   D i s k       R e s y n c   d e s t i n a t i o n   % s   i s   n o t   c l u s t e r e d   s o   i t   c a n n o t   b e   t h e   q u o r u m .     I O C T L _ D I S K _ I S _ C L U S T E R E D ( % s )   f a i l e d .   T e r m i n a l   e r r o r   -   r e s y n c   d e s t i n a t i o n   % s   u n e x p e c t e d l y   w e n t   u n u s a b l e   w i n e r r o r   % d .   A b o r t   r e s y n c .         C V s s H a r d w a r e P r o v i d e r W r a p p e r : : C h e c k D e s t C l u s t e r Q u o r u m V o l u m e       T e r m i n a l   e r r o r   -   c a n n o t   e n u m e r a t e   r e s o u r c e s   i n   c l u s t e r   w i n e r r o r   % d .   A b o r t   r e s y n c .       N o   d e s t i n a t i o n s   n e e d   t o   b e   p u t   i n   M a i n t e n a n c e   M o d e     C o u l d n ' t   a l l o c   c h a n n e l   a r r a y .       C V s s H a r d w a r e P r o v i d e r W r a p p e r : : F i n d C l u s t e r e d D e s t i n a t i o n s     T h e   p r o v i d e r   d o e s n ' t   s u p p o r t   t h e   d e s t i n a t i o n .       G i v e n   d e s t i n a t i o n   i s   o n   t h e   MLLLL2LLLLLLLLLLLLM LLLL
L   L 
L   L MMM
 LLLMMLLLLLLLMMMMLLLMLLLLLMLLLMM "!$#&%()L*L'((--,M+/.1043>L?L=>M:M?:::8L7L9L;L6:>M?56L<L?L5M?>L6L<L>M5AMBBL@LBAL@LADCLFGDEIHKJONLNMLMLLPORLSQQUTWV[LYLZXXX]L_LeL^\\aL`LdLcLbL\_____\gfihllkLjnmpoxsrutwvqzy|{~}̀L̓L͈͉̂͂͆̅̇͊̌L͖̋͋LLLLL͔͐LLLLL̐M͐͐͐M͐M͗LLM͖LM͜LL̜MM͜MMM͜LLLLM͙LLLLMM͜LLLLMM̞͟͢͢͡L ̤MͥLLͤLL̦̫̭̬̮ͧͩͨͪͯͱͰ̳Ͳ̵LʹLͷͶ̺MͺM͸LLLͺLLL;LLLͼLLLͼMMͿLLͼMLLLMMLLLMLLLMLLLMLLLLMLMMLLLL LLLLLLL
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: