Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 04:06:58 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Graphics artifacting  (Read 666 times)
starships (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:33:24 PM
Last edit: April 11, 2013, 08:34:43 PM by starships

Whenever my miner is running I get artifacting on my taskbar and the top (where your browser tabs would be) of my screen. It tends to be more extreme around the taskbar, looks like a bunch of black squares/lines twitcing and they'll increase over time if I'm not actively using the computer to the point that the icons on my taskbar are mostly blacked out. If I'm actively using it the artifacting keeps to a minimum for some reason. Also if I drag my mouse across the taskbar/top, everything will clear out and I don't get any artifacting in any full screen applications or anywhere on the actual screen (which is why I've been able to deal with it). If I screenshot it doesn't display the artifacts, but if you take a screenshot of your taskbar and just scribble all over in black that's kind of what it looks like when it gets to the point that it blacks the icons out.

I'm using a 7950 at factory stock 900mhz, I've had this card for ~3 months now and it is completely fine in games and stress test software, Heaven/Kombuster/OCCT. I'm on 13.1 and I'm thinking this could be a driver issue, any thoughts?
Mushoz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 07:35:39 PM

Yeah that can happen while mining, doesn't mean there's anything wrong. You can decrease the intensity setting for your miner, it should get rid of the artifacts, however you will most likely end with a lower hashrate as well.

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:37:30 PM

If it's a software issue, your only chance is either updating your drivers, or rolling back your drivers.  However, artifacts are usually caused by a hardware issue, typically when the card is overheating.  Is the card being properly cooled?  My card sometimes does this in video games, and then it refuses to turn back on the next day for a while, or it'll shut itself off and stop working.  It only happens in 75+ degree Fahrenheit weather tho Tongue

BBN

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:46:51 PM

Hi guys/girls,

I am experiencing smth similar, running on win 7 x64 (7950) 13.1 drivers. In my case whenever I start mining ( using guiminer scrypt alpha ) the pc becomes non responsive. The mouse will move like 3fps, it still mines though. Current settings are int 20, worksize 256, TC 21712. Temps are fine - 74C on the GPU, 71 and 73 VRM1 and VRM2. I have tried lowering to int to and its a tiny bit better. Any suggestion and wisdom highly appreciated Smiley

System specs:

ASrock 970 Ext4
8GB 1333 Single Channel
Sempron X2
750W Seasonic
starships (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:49:31 PM
Last edit: April 11, 2013, 10:15:21 PM by starships

Forgot to mention I'm using GUIminer and also briefly tried CGminer but saw the same kind of artifacting.

Yeah that can happen while mining, doesn't mean there's anything wrong. You can decrease the intensity setting for your miner, it should get rid of the artifacts, however you will most likely end with a lower hashrate as well.
I think I'd rather keep the extra hashrate, I was just curious about this and was hoping there was some easy fix involving the miners.  Undecided

If it's a software issue, your only chance is either updating your drivers, or rolling back your drivers.  However, artifacts are usually caused by a hardware issue, typically when the card is overheating.  Is the card being properly cooled?  My card sometimes does this in video games, and then it refuses to turn back on the next day for a while, or it'll shut itself off and stop working.  It only happens in 75+ degree Fahrenheit weather tho Tongue
Meant to say driver issue, but yeah. It's a Gigabyte windforce, stays at 60c or lower. Like I said, it's completely fine in games/stress test software (some of which probably push it harder than mining, for example: Mining vs Kombuster both max the usage at 100% but Kombuster is a consistent 5c higher in temp at the same ambients) so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Hi guys/girls,

I am experiencing smth similar, running on win 7 x64 (7950) 13.1 drivers. In my case whenever I start mining ( using guiminer scrypt alpha ) the pc becomes non responsive. The mouse will move like 3fps, it still mines though. Current settings are int 20, worksize 256, TC 21712. Temps are fine - 74C on the GPU, 71 and 73 VRM1 and VRM2. I have tried lowering to int to and its a tiny bit better. Any suggestion and wisdom highly appreciated Smiley

System specs:

ASrock 970 Ext4
8GB 1333 Single Channel
Sempron X2
750W Seasonic
Not sure what this could be but I don't have the unresponsive problem. Mine works completely fine, and if it wasn't for the artifacts I wouldn't even be able to tell the miner is running. It's just annoying when I'm reading something and I can see the twitching black squares in the corner of my eyes. Try a different miner maybe? I would be trying to fix the unresponsive issue first.

AMD isn't writing drivers with mining in mind so I think it's reasonable we run into issues like this, still hoping for a fix though.
BBN

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:08:00 PM

The unresponsive thingy is annoying as hell...Hope I get an answer from TacoTime.
starships (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 12:28:42 AM

Just updated to 13.4 drivers that were released WQHL today and it seems to have fixed all of the artifacting. My hash rate dropped about 10% though  Cry.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: