Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 08:52:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to buy new bitcoin with currency 4/11/13 (can you do it without gox?)  (Read 4933 times)
superdork (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 01:30:24 AM

BTC-E     HAS  VISA & PAYPAL LOGO, can you fund with these? if so I don't see an option to do so.
You can deposit to btc-e using your credit card by using the liqpay website/app. I heard that it usually only takes a few hours.

bitcoin-24.com - SEPA Bank wire (1-2 days)
From their website: "With giropay you can instantly deposit from most banks in Germany Your deposit will be instantly available for trade on Bitcoin-24."

liqpay is not an option right now, or I am a dumbass maybe both...

feel free to leave a tip in my daughter's college fund if you found my posts helpful 1HiCE3vX7yr7Yqy4yHf36x4w1cmSEsrTbM

(or if you just want some good karma!)
superdork (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 03:07:52 AM

Bitinstant back to allowing purchase to wallet

feel free to leave a tip in my daughter's college fund if you found my posts helpful 1HiCE3vX7yr7Yqy4yHf36x4w1cmSEsrTbM

mccoyspace

Activity: 237
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 03:45:24 AM

You can try CampBX. They accept USPS money orders. You could overnight or 2nd day one down to them in Atlanta.

But I feel you. It's taken me a month to get stuff set up. I just spammed a bunch of different services (dwolla, different exchanges, verifications, blah, blah...).
It is all slow and expensive. The fiat to BTC link is ridiculous.
Right now I'm doing business on bitfinex. They are in Hong Kong and I'm just doing international wires. The cost sucks (like $30 a pop).
At least the wires are getting there in a day and a half.

once its BTC, tho, its all golden. fast and easy.
Landstander

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:32:03 AM
Last edit: April 21, 2013, 10:48:21 PM by Landstander

It's a convoluted process, but you can indirectly buy BTC with credit cards using Virwox:
https://www.virwox.com/

Basically, the process is deposit USD instantaneously through credit card using Skrill/Moneybookers. Exchange $ for SLL (Second Life Linden dollars). Exchange SLL for BTC. YMMV on what the final USD/BTC exchange rate will turn out to be.

**EDIT 4/21/2013: My credit card company (Citi in this case) charged a foreign transaction fee of around $2.50 for each payment using Skrill/Moneybookers. Seems that although Skrill has a NYC office, they are an international payment processor and as such are subject to the foreign transaction fee by some credit card companies. Citi wouldn't budge on this. I haven't tried instead using PayPal to fund the VirWox account, but that might be an option.**

The only catch is there's a daily and monthly credit card deposit limit in Virwox, but this increases over time.

You can get around the limits by buying SLL at any online retailer who accepts credit cards for SLL. The problem is the only way to transfer SLL to Virwox is through the in-game Virwox ATMs, and this functionality is only available once your character is more than 30 days old (it's free to download and install the game and create a character).
**EDIT again: Even after my character being 30 days old, the Second Life Risk API wouldn't let me deposit SLL into Virwox through the in-game ATMs. I emailed Virwox and they were able to manually put in an exception for me which allows me to deposit up to SLL 5000 per week.**

Told you it was convoluted.

1LnV7h5xrFQ98HNxctKaASbB4xRBccT5Gm     Thanks!
jzcjca00

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:48:53 AM

One advantage of Bitcoin is that transfers are fast and cheap, while transfers in fiat currencies are much slower and/or expensive.

Ironically, that makes it frustrating to try to get into Bitcoin.

Coinbase.com is probably the fastest way.  Unfortunately, they have a system-wide daily limit, so you sometimes have to keep trying over and over for hours to sneak in a trade.  And they severely restrict how many you can buy.

BitInstant seems to be a fast way to get money to Mt.Gox, if you're willing to pay them a 3.99% fee, plus 3.95 to ZipZap, plus the 0.6% Mt.Gox exchange fee.  That's a lot of fees to pay, but when everything goes smoothly, you can have coins in less than an hour.  They also have limits on how much and often you can move money.

On the slow end, Dwolla is extremely inexpensive and seems to be reliable.  It works with multiple exchanges.  However, it takes a week.

Tips much appreciated! 1PPJHDawPvjh6MEzsvXrMYLgpLmyAaNXUc
superdork (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:17:12 AM

It's a convoluted process, but you can indirectly buy BTC with credit cards using Virwox:
https://www.virwox.com/

Basically, the process is deposit USD instantaneously through credit card using Skrill/Moneybookers. Exchange $ for SLL (Second Life Linden dollars). Exchange SLL for BTC. YMMV on what the final USD/BTC exchange rate will turn out to be.

The only catch is there's a daily and monthly credit card deposit limit in Virwox, but this increases over time.

You can get around the limits by buying SLL at any online retailer who accepts credit cards for SLL. The problem is the only way to transfer SLL to Virwox is through the in-game Virwox ATMs, and this functionality is only available once your character is more than 30 days old (it's free to download and install the game and create a character).

Told you it was convoluted.

uuhhhhhh wut?

Forgive me, as I am not a gamer, but are you saying that I have to get a video game, create a character (site says I have to link to avatar to join and then confirn as the avatar or some shit like that...), then I can buy bitcoins with a credit card or paypal.....

For realsies? You were not kidding about that being convoluted!!! How in the fuck can I explain that in a concise manner in the OP??

Ok, I got three free video game coupons with my mining rig, will any of these work?

Tomb Raider
BioShock infinte
Dirt Showdown

Landstander

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 07:12:51 AM

You only can use the game Second Life as SLL is that game's currency. Yeah, I don't play it either.

I think you can register on Virwox without a character name or you can just make it up, but I'm not sure.

seljo
Legendary

Activity: 1178
Merit: 1014

Hodling since 2011.®

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 07:21:09 AM

TBH I more trust MtGox than any of those but that's just me.

Hodling since 2011.®
Landstander

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 07:30:56 AM

IIRC, Bitcoin-24 can also be funded using Liqpay, which can in turn be funded using MasterCard.

Chucksta

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 07:59:06 AM

Intersango and BTC-e for me.

I am mining LTC at the moment, and trading them for BTC on BTC-e. Then to my wallet, and finally to Intersango to be sold.

Gox pee'd me off in 2011, so I changed to a local exchange, that being Intersango.

Wompaone

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 12:56:59 PM

Localbitcoins.com

Do all transfers on Localbitcoins go through Escrow. Could you tell me abit about the process from the moment I select a person I would like to trade from. i.e how I transfer the funds.

Thank you.
13Charlie

Activity: 218

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 02:45:43 PM

Localbitcoins.com

Do all transfers on Localbitcoins go through Escrow. Could you tell me abit about the process from the moment I select a person I would like to trade from. i.e how I transfer the funds.

Thank you.

No, it's more like, you meet someone in person (face to face), hand them cash and they send coins.

No signature necessary
superdork (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 03:42:30 PM

Intersango and BTC-e for me.

I am mining LTC at the moment, and trading them for BTC on BTC-e. Then to my wallet, and finally to Intersango to be sold.

Gox pee'd me off in 2011, so I changed to a local exchange, that being Intersango.

Could you elaborate on the actual process of funding your account on Intersango? (so I can update the OP) I have not used that site before.

Protagonus

Activity: 238

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 03:55:32 PM

+1 to the overall intent of this thread!!  I agree, being mostly decentralized already on my own (very proud!)  I'm a supporter of bitcoin and the whole concept as it's inline with the way I like to be.
  Trying to get bitcoin from my perspective has been tougher than pulling teeth.  I was brought up being taught that I should never buy something I don't have money for.  Never got into loans ever; e.g I already don't use banks, CC etc.  It does seem odd that I must re-centralize to buy decentralized coin?
   I'll be watching the various avenues you find with interest.  Until I can find an option suitable I'm just trying to get into mining I guess.  It seems my only way, even though it will be much more costly at this point.
Wompaone

Activity: 24

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:19:38 PM

Localbitcoins.com

Thank you.

No, it's more like, you meet someone in person (face to face), hand them cash and they send coins.

Why does it say Bank transfer on there though as a method of payment? I think face to face is only one of many options.
13Charlie

Activity: 218

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:29:05 PM

Localbitcoins.com

Thank you.

Why does it say Bank transfer on there though as a method of payment? I think face to face is only one of many options.
Yes, you can also buy online through the site, but I have never tried.

THIS may answer a few more questions.

No signature necessary
ThorinIceland

Activity: 26

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 07:34:11 PM

I was just about to put some money into the bitcoin-24.com account today then I see now their bank account was seized!

As a newbie trying to get money up on an exchange other than mtgox to buy some coins, I am very weary and lost as to where to begin. Thanks for this thread, its very helpful!
nrgBitmagic

Activity: 51

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 12:46:15 AM

I guess OTC or buying local seem like the only really viable options to get btc quick.

I found with localbitcoins, that the sellers were pretty unresponsive, especially during the price rise. They were all trying to get the biggest deals at the highest prices, leaving us little $2000-4000 buyers in the dust, no pun intended. Maybe now they are more eager, who knows?

I thought it would be a quicker, cheaper way to buy, too; but lost as much time waiting for these opportunists to not respond as I did crawling through the exchange sites trying to figure out how to transfer my USD to something the bitcoin world would accept.

dollarbill

Activity: 61

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 02:01:12 AM

I've bought 99% of my BTC on bitfloor with cash deposits--the money has always gotten into my account by the time I got home from the bank (BofA)-- and the branch is only 5 min away. Commissions are about 1-2%. 
bitcoinfiend

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 02:15:12 AM

BitInstant is having issues with deposits and sending funds...There are tons of people missing money right now::

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=128314.5160

https://plus.google.com/communities/112177264311909940483#communities/112177264311909940483

www.BitinstantScam.com
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: