Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:01:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I just did the most retarded thing... btc<=>tether  (Read 1012 times)
mimarob (OP)

Activity: 354
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 04:00:39 AM

Was experimenting with tether (usdt).
Happily transfered btc to my new tether address, which has a compatible format.

A bit like depositing canned tuna into your bank vault i guess..

Hope this does not make tether blow up in our faces :-)

If I could get the private tether address out of the wallet would that mean I could reverse the transaction?
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ArcCsch

Activity: 224
Merit: 117

▲ Portable backup power source for mining.

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 05:02:35 AM

So, you accidently sent bitcoin to a tether address?
If tether uses the exact same algorithm as bitcoin, you can sent your bitcoin back to your wallet.
If it uses a different algorithm, you burned the BTC.

You should try to send it back to your wallet and see what happens (actually you should wait until someone seconds me on this before broadcasting any transactions).

Please post transaction ID.

If you don't have sole and complete control over the private keys, you don't have any bitcoin!  Signature campaigns are OK, zero tolorance for spam!
1JGYXhfhPrkiHcpYkiuCoKpdycPhGCuswa
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 07:06:07 AM

as far as i know tether and bitcoin use the same thing for private keys, this means that if you have created that tether address using a tether wallet you can retrieve your bitcoin by using the tethere private key in bitcoin wallet.

if you created that USDT address on an exchange such as poloniex, contact the support and tell them the mistake you have made and they may be able to help you using the private keys.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
mimarob (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 12:56:57 PM

Nice this brings hope. I'm on tether.to wallet.
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 04:32:48 PM

Does that thing even have a wallet? I was considering using USDT thing in Poloniex to try to play a bit with some bitcoins on the dips, sell then buy the dip using USDT so I dont have to give them my god damn profile picture ID and other data which is ridiculous, using USDT you could be able to remain anonymous, but of course, there is the big risk involved of holding your coins in an exchange while you trade. I never do this for more than a couple of days, and always keep them locally.
mimarob (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 05:05:57 PM

Head on the nail. I was just too stupid or lazy to figure this out, how do you get an address on the usdt sidechain btw? And send transactions?

You don't need the full cavity search, teeth marks and dna to do tether.to just a working phone with sms and an email.  Unless you want real $ or € then all the above applies
mimarob (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 12:09:59 PM

It turned out the btc just showed up on the wallet. As btc. Way too simple for me obviously :-)
mungmanjed

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 12:37:55 AM

MIMAROB, how long did you have to wait for the BTC to pop up in Tether?  I accidentally did the same thing and I don't want to lose the money.
Pfizer

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 01:03:36 AM

So was you able to reverse the transaction from tether wallet back to your bitcoin wallet?

Very interesting, I didn't know bitcoin and tether are using the same algorithm in their wallets.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 02:04:20 AM

You can send/receive any Omni asset to a bitcoin address, and send/receive Bitcoin to the same address too.

Omni is built on top of Bitcoin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: