Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:47:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S9 11.85ths and 13ths lifetime?  (Read 5083 times)
sarakuka (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 08:41:51 PM

I would like to know how long will new antminer s9 11.85ths and 13ths survive working in a good condition climatronic constantly 10C temp no dust.

Their lifetime can be expected to be 1year 2years more or less any idea.

Thanks

Selling BTC with PAYPAL via Localbitcoins.com.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 08:45:26 PM

I would like to know how long will new antminer s9 11.85ths and 13ths survive working in a good condition climatronic constantly 10C temp no dust.

Thanks

Generally, the ROI of the bitcoin antminers is normally about a year so I wouldn't expect people would buy them if they lasted less time than that?
It also depends on the conditions you keep it under. If the frequency is greatly undervolted greatly then it will last much longer than if it's overclocked for example.
Providing the miner remains fairly well cooled and is mining at the recommended frequency then I imagine they should last at least 2 years (but the rate of mining may start to reduce after some of the chips fail).

Here is a thread here where it is said how long they should last
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 10:48:21 AM

Considering the breakdown of hashboards is around 19%,I'd bet that their lifespan will be less than the year folks are hoping for............  Sad

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
isoneguy

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 03:39:32 PM

there are s1's that are still running.

The lifetime if you take care of it should be YEARS.

Obviously there are a few things you have to do to keep em running.

1. clean em
2. don't fuck em up
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 09:00:40 PM

1. clean em
2. don't fuck em up
Only issue is Bitmain's build quality has gone down throughout the years as they've become more and more money hungry and these days it's just gone to shit. You can take care of a miner 24/7 but blade failure rate is still high. If it lasts more than 2-3 months chances are the miner will last for years after if you so choose to mine so long; chances are you'll sell your miner by then.
Herv12

Activity: 226
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 05:36:30 PM

1. clean em
2. don't fuck em up

Yes, and:
3. Use a very stable internet or proxy
4. Use good PSU with good PCIE Connectors
5. avoid use it in a wet room
6. Keep good airflow in it and avoid loop airflow
flameruk

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2017, 07:30:55 PM

Thanks
My S9's don't like the cold at all.
I ran the fans at 85% to keep the chip temps down.
First frost we had in the UK had hash boards go missing in the GUI and some weird behaviour.
Set the fans to auto let them warm up and all was good again.
You can't win with these but fingers crossed apart from this I've had no problems.
Guess I'm lucky but I'm not looking forward to when they do break, long way to ROI yet.

Find my P2POOL node at www.ukp2pool.uk:9332

Donations for operating node?
BTC  1CYevtGy3aqr1reuq7CFceNFAT7snsz3VM
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 08:32:52 PM

Thanks
First frost we had in the UK had hash boards go missing in the GUI and some weird behaviour.
You can't win with these but fingers crossed apart from this I've had no problems.
Guess I'm lucky but I'm not looking forward to when they do break, long way to ROI yet.

The ROI would be lengthy unless you have power provided in rent or something?
That's quite an odd story as well, I thought that most computers would favour the cold in order for them to function (they it does have to be above zero degrees - otherwise compenents start to fail like you stated - a lot of this failure can be temporary). How are they doing this year round with the frost?

1. clean em
2. don't fuck em up

Yes, and:
3. Use a very stable internet or proxy
4. Use good PSU with good PCIE Connectors
5. avoid use it in a wet room
6. Keep good airflow in it and avoid loop airflow
Suprisingly, number 3 is one of the most important ones. I heard recently on this forums that S7s were prone to overheating if they didn't have a stable/good internet connection.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2524

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 11:36:50 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2017, 12:32:14 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

That's quite an odd story as well, I thought that most computers would favor the cold in order for them to function (they it does have to be above zero degrees - otherwise components start to fail like you stated - a lot of this failure can be temporary). How are they doing this year round with the frost?

Please excuse Professor mode here...
The > freezing temp pretty much only applies to circuits that use wet electrolytic capacitors. Typically water-based they can literally freeze and be damaged from the resulting expansion. Dry or solid caps have no problem with that part. One other physical aspect that may not be happy with very low temps is the actual very fine soldered connections to the chips and other components. Temp goes down - typical solder becomes brittle and may actually crack from stress of the parts shrinking.

But - now comes the matter of the components having specs that change with temp (temperature coefficient). It is usually a % change/deg from nominal values. Many of the circuits in digital equipment such as clock timers and voltage references are design to operate in-spec over a narrow range of temperatures based on what the expected change in tolerances are over temp. Too cold, might not start at all or will run too fast or slow. Too high temp, probably will start but again will run out of spec. IF care is taken in the design to deal with extreme temp by using better (read: more expensive) components then no problem but, that costs money to implement.

Then comes semiconductors (transistors): They are excruciatingly sensitive to temp vs voltage required to switch from 'off' to 'on' coupled with the fact of what the resulting Vdrop of the on-state is vs temp changing (goes up with temp) .

Now the Black Majik of semiconductor design starts kicking in. While has always been an issue since days of the 1st hand-assembled transistors through ~the 1micron and lower nodes, as junction size decreases the amount of Black Art applied increases. For us, 'Black Art' is a decent way to describe what a Foundry does to make ever-smaller transistor junction sizes. They literally make scads of test structures (gates) tweaking tiny bits of the process over and over and over until they get physical devices that mirror what simulation models say they should do. Those design tweaks become part of a Foundry's Secret Sauce for producing chips. Costs and dev times is staggering ergo the count-on-one-hand number of companies/Foundries that can produce advanced node sizes such as 16nm and lower.

In short, 28/22nm chips were touchy but being a reasonably mature tech also had fairly predictable production rules (Black Art) libraries. For the 16/14nm nodes - still has a long way to go regarding predictable results (operating specs) per batch of wafers ran.... IMHO that is a large part of the reason for Bitmain's Auto-tune firmware. It is definitely why even the s7's used a pre-heat mode when being booted: 1st boot is at high Vcore to get the chips near operating temp followed about a minute later by the 2nd boot at final Vcore voltage. In short, Bitmain and others designed their miners with the much more expected moderate to high ambient operating temps in mind vs running cold.

... and that's the simplified reasons why the miners like high temps...

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
wmabern

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Visualize whirledps

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 12:45:42 AM
Last edit: January 10, 2017, 01:09:21 AM by wmabern

Thanks

Mine are just the opposite. It's cold as %$#@ here and has been for the last week or so. Last nights temp was 9 degrees F (-12 C). I have 4 S9's running in a spare room with two windows open each with a 20" box fan in them sucking outdoor cold air directly on the miner intakes. Another window across the room is also open with a fan pulling exhaust air out.

My PCB temps are 38 to 41C and my chip temps are 70 to 72C on average. That's with 600Mhz S9's over-clocked to 612MhZ. Averaging 13.11TH/s.

It's 23 F here now. I think that equals -5C outside.

BITMIXER.IO Gone Baby, Gone.. ;-)
Not any good sig campaigns out there that I want!
grumpyshamurai

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 04:09:58 PM

Thanks

Mine are just the opposite. It's cold as %$#@ here and has been for the last week or so. Last nights temp was 9 degrees F (-12 C). I have 4 S9's running in a spare room with two windows open each with a 20" box fan in them sucking outdoor cold air directly on the miner intakes. Another window across the room is also open with a fan pulling exhaust air out.

My PCB temps are 38 to 41C and my chip temps are 70 to 72C on average. That's with 600Mhz S9's over-clocked to 612MhZ. Averaging 13.11TH/s.

It's 23 F here now. I think that equals -5C outside.

Id recommend running a large dehumidifier in that room.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: