Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:11:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gox down completely  (Read 3169 times)
doobadoo (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:32:40 PM

www.mtgox.com

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
maxmint

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:35:17 PM

"emergency maintenance" is the new maintenance.

My PGP-Key: 462D02D8
Verify my messages using keybase: https://keybase.io/maxmint
doobadoo (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:42:16 PM

They did it AGAIN.  They didn't learn from 2011, with $100k/day of revenue coming in they didn't see the need to scale fast enough.  Moreover, they never realized they had a scaling issue the whole time, and kept opening up new accounts.  Any one in their right mind would have suspended new account additions.  Not Gox, greedy fucking pigs were too worried about losing a little market share, and now what.

There is no doubt in my mind when they re-open (if they reopen in 4 hours) that they will go right back down.  This is going to be a multi-day possibly multi-week fiasco.  All the new users will freak out and leave.  Bitcoin will go back to the doldrums.

I've been saying it over and over again all the influx of new users at such a rapid pace was a bad thing for bitcoin.  Everyone had to go tell their friends to buy in.  Every one had to get on the message boards and shout down any one who tried to caution new users not to buy into a parabolic move.  Yes the community is to blame as well.   I told NO ONE to buy into this rally.

Of course i showed up shortly after the last gox fiasco in 2011 so i had little idea just how bad they could fall down.  I'm at a point where as soon as they open i will buy whatever coin i can with the fiat i have left in there and immediately tx it to my client.

I am soooo done with gox.  I'll buy more coins after the price stabilizes, and i'll do it at meetups or something.

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:44:39 PM

Oh for the love of God, just stop using Gox.

There are other fucking exchanges, y'know. I haven't ever used Gox.

I'm grumpy!!
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:48:45 PM

Let's not be TOO hard on those guys. Look at the massive boom in the last week. Like from a logistics standpoint that would have been almost impossible to ramp up the infrastructure to maintain the volume of trades. Going forward I think the lessons will hopefully have been learnt and there will hopefully be more diversity in exchanges as well.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
superdork

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:51:24 PM

Oh for the love of God, just stop using Gox.

There are other fucking exchanges, y'know. I haven't ever used Gox.

A-fucking-men

fuck gox, and fuck monopolies. Use the other exchanges, they are better anyway.

feel free to leave a tip in my daughter's college fund if you found my posts helpful 1HiCE3vX7yr7Yqy4yHf36x4w1cmSEsrTbM

(or if you just want some good karma!)
pretendo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:52:36 PM

Let's not be TOO hard on those guys. Look at the massive boom in the last week. Like from a logistics standpoint that would have been almost impossible to ramp up the infrastructure to maintain the volume of trades. Going forward I think the lessons will hopefully have been learnt and there will hopefully be more diversity in exchanges as well.
It's called stress testing, which is industry standard. Their hardware is well below par for such valuable transactions and they've known this more than anyone from the start.
doobadoo (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:53:08 PM

Read my post bro.  Recognize what is happening and realize IN ADVANCE that you have a scaling issue, suspend new account, return recent deposits on newly created accounts too if you must.  But TURN AWAY THE BUSINESS YOU CAN"T MAKE GOOD ON!

Sorry for the caps.  But this is a repeat of 2011 for them.

maxmint

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:55:11 PM

Maybe they tried to do their best, but in the end it did not work out. And they did not act very professional, just look at their Twitter account: looks like an intern is tweeting for them.
And why did they accept these masses of new users?

Bitstamp also saw huge influx of traffic and trades, but they seem to be able to handle this.

tclo

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:05:00 PM

They did it AGAIN.  They didn't learn from 2011, with $100k/day of revenue coming in they didn't see the need to scale fast enough.  Moreover, they never realized they had a scaling issue the whole time, and kept opening up new accounts.  Any one in their right mind would have suspended new account additions.  Not Gox, greedy fucking pigs were too worried about losing a little market share, and now what.

There is no doubt in my mind when they re-open (if they reopen in 4 hours) that they will go right back down.  This is going to be a multi-day possibly multi-week fiasco.  All the new users will freak out and leave.  Bitcoin will go back to the doldrums.

I've been saying it over and over again all the influx of new users at such a rapid pace was a bad thing for bitcoin.  Everyone had to go tell their friends to buy in.  Every one had to get on the message boards and shout down any one who tried to caution new users not to buy into a parabolic move.  Yes the community is to blame as well.   I told NO ONE to buy into this rally.

Of course i showed up shortly after the last gox fiasco in 2011 so i had little idea just how bad they could fall down.  I'm at a point where as soon as they open i will buy whatever coin i can with the fiat i have left in there and immediately tx it to my client.

I am soooo done with gox.  I'll buy more coins after the price stabilizes, and i'll do it at meetups or something.

People who bought into the rally at 100 and sold at 200 a few days later did just fine.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:08:17 PM

gox will be back and stronger.

this is a buying opportunity for those who can see it.
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:12:22 PM

Read my post bro.  Recognize what is happening and realize IN ADVANCE that you have a scaling issue, suspend new account, return recent deposits on newly created accounts too if you must.  But TURN AWAY THE BUSINESS YOU CAN"T MAKE GOOD ON!

Sorry for the caps.  But this is a repeat of 2011 for them.

Well, fair enough. I see your point.  Fair enough to say that they should have at least realized they could not sustain the rapid increased rate of trade volumes so could have suspended operations.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
LouReed

Activity: 732

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:18:27 PM

Looks like they came back up early.
Bitmeat

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:19:50 PM

gox will be back and stronger.

this is a buying opportunity for those who can see it.

People who think like you is why this crypto-currency with so much potential is mainly only used as a commodity upon which to speculate and exchange for drugs.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:21:07 PM

O RLY?

Database access error, please retry later
LouReed

Activity: 732

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:27:46 PM

O RLY?

Huh, I swear I was just on. I now get a "Please wait" when I go there. Must've got flooded. Prices just skyrocketed on BTCe briefly. BTC went from mid $60's to now $86
maxmint

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:29:25 PM

O RLY?

Huh, I swear I was just on. I now get a "Please wait" when I go there. Must've got flooded. Prices just skyrocketed on BTCe briefly. BTC went from mid $60's to now $86

That can't be all because Gox opened the site again. I guess we just passed the lower limit and people are starting to buy cheap coins again.

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 02:01:06 AM

TradeHill is back in operation.

Just sayin'

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
mr-sk

Activity: 117

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 02:04:55 AM

Nah..lets be hard on them. They are making a killing from market making and fees. Fuck them if they can't scale. Hire some people that can.

TradeHill is back in operation.

Just sayin'

No. When did you start trading? Back in 2011 I lost a bunch when tradehill decided to just close its doors and not return BTC.
Bunch of crooks. Can't believe they have the nerve to raise capital and try again.

Telegram
100%digital

Activity: 100

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 02:42:01 AM

Hahaahahah, raise capital... You mean sold the btc they stole from people like you/me @ $200+
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: