Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:14:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Donating to the Freenet Project [Now Accepting]  (Read 3080 times)
da2ce7 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 12:20:53 AM
Last edit: February 23, 2011, 12:11:14 PM by da2ce7

Update! Freenet is now accepting donations!  Grin
http://freenetproject.org/donate.html to address http://blockexplorer.com/address/1966U1pjj15tLxPXZ19U48c99EJDkdXeqb
Start sending coins!

Toad has updated his flog: http://amphibian.dyndns.org/flogmirror/

Freenet is an open source p2p darknet (and less secure opennet) that allows people in counties that don't allow free speech to talk freely.  In my opinion, it is one of the most important projects on the internet.  Recently they have made great strides with both performance and reliability of the network.  Google for 3 times consecutively has been Freenets primary donor; however there is no indentation that this support will continue.   Supporting this project is indeed important, and in the long run, bitcons is the natural currency to use on such a network. http://freenetproject.org/

Proposed Text:

Dear Ian and the Freenet Community,

On behalf of some in the Bitcoin community, I would like to suggest the option of donating bitcoins to the freenet project.

Bitcoin is an open source p2p cryptocurrency... In essence it is a digital currency that has no central bank.  One of the main features of bitcoin is the ability to conduct pseudo – anonymous transfers, (and works well through Tor) this may be very helpful for members wanting to support Freenet in countries and situations that don’t accept or isn’t applicable for paypal or google checkout.

There are many other features that make bitcoin a better donation method than paypal, please look at http://www.bitcoin.org/ Free online wallets are available at https://www.mybitcoin.com/ , one of the most used exchanges is http://mtgox.com/

Please email me back or post on the forum at bitcoin.org, we will be more than happy to answer any queries you may have.

Sincerely,
Cameron (da2ce7), and the Bitcoin community

Any Comments, amendments, or suggestions?

One off NP-Hard.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 12:28:49 AM

I think the word "community" is missing in the first sentence.

Otherwise it looks fine.

da2ce7 (OP)
Legendary

Live and Let Live

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 12:32:09 AM

amended, thankyou grondilu

One off NP-Hard.
Anonymous

November 11, 2010, 12:36:42 AM

Bitcoins is an open source p2p cyptocurrency

Bitcoin is an open source p2p cryptocurrency.

Signed:the spelling nazi.

Cheesy

bitcoins a much more desirable currency to use than paypal

bitcoin a better donation method than paypal

paypal isnt a currency  Smiley
da2ce7 (OP)
Legendary

Live and Let Live

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 12:52:46 AM

amended, thankyou noagendamarket!

One off NP-Hard.
da2ce7 (OP)
Legendary

Live and Let Live

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 01:41:05 AM

The problem with Freenet is that a) it's written in Java b) it's super fucking slow.

Otherwise I'd love the idea in practice

Not to defend what Freenet was/is, (super fucking slow).   The project has come a long, long way since even 2 months ago.  The new load balancing code is in the process of being merged, this should make a world of difference to the speed of Freenet: read the "Load management and other things" post by Toad at http://amphibian.dyndns.org/flogmirror/ for more info.

Secondly I don't hold java to be as bad as it used to be, the main feature of it is the de-facto cross-platform compatibility, and high speed prototyping...  On either note, I think that Freenet has a bright future.

One off NP-Hard.
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 02:51:10 AM

DUDE! I just re-tried it again and you're right!! It runs fine now compared to a few months ago when I test it Smiley

Maybe we should make a Bitcoin community there. I might try to use this as much as possible.

No rush for that right now.  But eventually when the governments will begin to be aware of bitcoin, Freenet will be an appropriate place for this site.

da2ce7 (OP)
Legendary

Live and Let Live

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 03:09:31 AM

all sent, I guess now we play the waiting game.

One off NP-Hard.
The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 12:26:23 PM

Sure!

Upload a backup of your wallet.dat (encrypt it first).

Join FMS and setup a Bitcoin forum! Tongue

Grin
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 02:42:15 PM

Upload a backup of your wallet.dat (encrypt it first).

Encryption isn't necessary if you keep the CHK secret.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 07:31:03 PM

Encryption isn't necessary if you keep the CHK secret.

CHK ?

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 07:39:33 PM

CHK ?

A CHK is the main type of Freenet URI. The file is already encrypted on the network, and the key is in the CHK, so if you keep the CHK secret the wallet can't be recovered.

grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 07:46:36 PM

A CHK is the main type of Freenet URI. The file is already encrypted on the network, and the key is in the CHK, so if you keep the CHK secret the wallet can't be recovered.

Oh, ok.

BTW, is storing a file on FreeNet reliable ?  I mean, as I understand it, FreeNet is P2P.  This means that a file is there only if people use it.  If I am the only one who need a file, isn't it likely to disappear from the network if I don't consult it regulary ?

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 08:09:40 PM

BTW, is storing a file on FreeNet reliable ?  I mean, as I understand it, FreeNet is P2P.  This means that a file is there only if people use it.  If I am the only one who need a file, isn't it likely to disappear from the network if I don't consult it regulary ?

It might stay for a week or two (unpredictable). It's certainly not a good destination for backup.

da2ce7 (OP)
Legendary

Live and Let Live

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 10:20:21 PM

It might stay for a week or two (unpredictable). It's certainly not a good destination for backup.

They are working on two of the main issues with persistence:
First, things aren’t getting routed to the right spot, so they are hard to find; the new load management code should relieve much of the issue as nodes that _should_ have the data will be much less likely to be 'backed-off', an overloaded state, and reject the insert.
Secondly, there is an ongoing work to spread the word of freenet, the more people who run nodes, the more places there is to store data Cheesy

One off NP-Hard.
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 10:39:42 PM

They are working on two of the main issues with persistence:
First, things aren’t getting routed to the right spot, so they are hard to find; the new load management code should relieve much of the issue as nodes that _should_ have the data will be much less likely to be 'backed-off', an overloaded state, and reject the insert.
Secondly, there is an ongoing work to spread the word of freenet, the more people who run nodes, the more places there is to store data Cheesy

Still, I doubt FreeNet is suitable for backup.

I wonder if online mail provider, such as Gmail, is not a good idea for that.  I don't like webmails.  I think this concept is silly, but it exists and it provides almost unlimited amount of storage.  It's also easy to access, for all you have to do is to send an email and attach your encrypted wallet.  Of course, it should not be the only backup solution, since at any time Google could destroy your data.  But still, it can be added as a complementary solution.  The more backup copies you have in different places, the better.

I don't have any Gmail account right now, but I seriously consider creating one just for this purpose.

The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 10:46:45 PM

I've had files stay for ~3 months without being accessed. Wink

If you are really paranoid just setup a cron that polls your USK or CHK every so often. Also, you'll likely refresh/change the backup within 3 months anyway.
neptop

Activity: 314
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 11:01:42 PM

I am not using gmail either, but AFAIK gmail accounts come with free IMAP, so you don't have to use their web stuff.

BitCoin address: 1E25UJEbifEejpYh117APmjYSXdLiJUCAZ
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 12, 2010, 02:29:51 AM

Join FMS and setup a Bitcoin forum! Tongue

There already is one and there's been discussion about bitcoin in it in the past. One of the freenet developers (Toad) said he'd be willing to accept bitcoin donations privately on behalf of the project if the value was greater than $100 USD and people can contact him directly about it.
xel

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2011, 02:05:30 PM

The problem with Freenet is that a) it's written in Java b) it's super fucking slow.

Otherwise I'd love the idea in practice

Java is not causing the slowness.

The slowness is mostly the price for anonymity, how ever there IS a room for improvement (in last months it is working x3 slower then it could sometimes).

Still, it works good enough in example for discussion (FMS, Freetalk, well and Frost) and for not too huge files, or even huge files like 700 mb files (if you start downloading while it's "hot", it should finish in few days up to a week... sorry ADHD users Wink

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: