Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:08:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Incorrect password.  (Read 835 times)
kreaninw (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 08:43:31 AM

I always get an "incorrect password" box whenever I tried to send bitcoin. However, I know my password is correct and I can use this password to view seed, master private keys, and even private keys. I just can't send bitcoin out of this wallet because it says my password is incorrect...

Please help, thanks.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3584
Merit: 1560

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 08:59:00 AM

backup the seed by writing it down on a piece of paper. then upgrade to the latest version of electrum. it may be that the bug you have encountered has already been fixed.

if the above doesn't work then I suggest restoring your wallet via the seed. Use file > new/restore to begin the process.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6083

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 09:05:28 AM

Its definitely a weird issue , are you sure you are not using a 2FA wallet thats asks you for the 2FA code instead of the password Itself ?
If you have the seed as you said then I suggest upgrading to the latest version (If you didn't already) restoring the wallet and adding another password instead. If the problem persists then open a github issue on Electrum repository.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
kreaninw (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 09:13:39 AM

backup the seed by writing it down on a piece of paper. then upgrade to the latest version of electrum. it may be that the bug you have encountered has already been fixed.

if the above doesn't work then I suggest restoring your wallet via the seed. Use file > new/restore to begin the process.

I am using Electrum 2.7.14 which is the latest version. And I can't restore my wallet from seed as there has a box says "please wait" which stay there forever after I have entered the seed.

Is there a way to uninstall Electrum completely? I tried to uninstall and reinstall it once but everything came back in place.

Or is there anyway I can move my wallet to another wallet client?

Thanks.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1343

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2017, 09:23:15 AM

is it a standard wallet or multisig?

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
kreaninw (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 09:29:22 AM

Its definitely a weird issue , are you sure you are not using a 2FA wallet thats asks you for the 2FA code instead of the password Itself ?
If you have the seed as you said then I suggest upgrading to the latest version (If you didn't already) restoring the wallet and adding another password instead. If the problem persists then open a github issue on Electrum repository.

My wallet was originally a 2FA wallet. But I changed my phone so I restore my wallet using seed just fine, since Electrum 2.6.4. And I have been using it with no problem at all, except I lost my 2FA verification. But now everything works but I can't send my bitcoin due to (a strange)incorrect password.

Thanks.

is it a standard wallet or multisig?

I think it's a standard wallet. What is a multisig? Thanks.
ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2017, 09:31:34 AM

My wallet was originally a 2FA wallet. But I changed my phone so I restore my wallet using seed just fine, since Electrum 2.6.4. And I have been using it with no problem at all, except I lost my 2FA verification. But now everything works but I can't send my bitcoin due to (a strange)incorrect password.

thanks that's the information I needed

ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2017, 09:52:53 AM

I can reproduce your issue.
it has the same cause as this other bug: https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/issues/2097

the bug was fixed earlier this morning.
you will have to wait for the next release (planned for today or tomorrow), and then restore again from seed.

kreaninw (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 10:03:34 AM

it has the same cause as this other bug: https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/issues/2097

you will have to wait for the next release (planned for today or tomorrow), and then restore again from seed.

You have the best support ever. Thank you.
kreaninw (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 09:44:11 AM

Hello, ThomasV. After upgraded to 2.7.15, I still can't send any bitcoin because of "incorrect password" issue. And I can't even use private key to import my address in blockchain too, it says my private key is mismatch with the address. In short, I can't use any of my bitcoin in Electrum now... Please help!!! The bug is not fixed yet.
ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2017, 04:25:59 PM

Hello, ThomasV. After upgraded to 2.7.15, I still can't send any bitcoin because of "incorrect password" issue. And I can't even use private key to import my address in blockchain too, it says my private key is mismatch with the address. In short, I can't use any of my bitcoin in Electrum now... Please help!!! The bug is not fixed yet.

the bug corrupted your wallet file.
you need to create a new wallet file with your seed.

kreaninw (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 07:56:56 PM

the bug corrupted your wallet file.
you need to create a new wallet file with your seed.

I want to create a new wallet file from seed but I can't. I entered my seed, but the "please wait" dialog just appear forever. Please help, thanks. If you want a screen record video, just tell me and I will give the link. It seems I will lost bitcoin in this wallet forever.
sportis

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

Veni, Vidi, Vici

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 08:20:57 PM

Follow these commands:
1. Run Electrum.
2. Then File New/Restore (Opens a dialog where you give any file_name you want)
3. Then Standard wallet(next)-I already have a seed(next)
4. Put the 12 words with the same order you had written in the pass phrase box(next)
5. After the message 'Please wait' appears the box new password and confirm password
6. Then "Electrum generates new addresses" message appears and after 3 seconds wallet is Ok

There is no need for video. Hope that helps
kreaninw (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 03:20:47 AM

Follow these commands:
1. Run Electrum.
2. Then File New/Restore (Opens a dialog where you give any file_name you want)
3. Then Standard wallet(next)-I already have a seed(next)
4. Put the 12 words with the same order you had written in the pass phrase box(next)
5. After the message 'Please wait' appears the box new password and confirm password
6. Then "Electrum generates new addresses" message appears and after 3 seconds wallet is Ok

There is no need for video. Hope that helps

After the message 'Please wait' appears, there's no new password and confirm password box for me. That's why I keep saying that 'Please wait' appears forever after I entered the seed...
kreaninw (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 04:31:00 AM

I have solved the issue by completely remove Electrum and re-install it again. For information to those who face the same fate as me (have a correct password but can't send bitcoin with that password), after uninstalled Electrum, before re-install it again, go to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming and delete everything Electrum. Next, restore your wallet from seed and done!

That's a process I went through and now I can send my bitcoin again. Just remember to note your seed before undergone this operation.

But I face some bug in this version that prevent me to change "Base unit" to BTC instead of mBTC. I'm on Electrum 2.7.16 with Windows 10 64 bit.

Thank you everyone for your help.
juzzy66

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 07:14:19 PM

wyświetla mi się default_walet(standart) zapomniałem hasła ale mam nasiona jak odzyskać bitc.czy ktoś mi pomoże jestem nowicjuszem Wink
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 08:45:19 PM

wyświetla mi się default_walet(standart) zapomniałem hasła ale mam nasiona jak odzyskać bitc.czy ktoś mi pomoże jestem nowicjuszem Wink

You can create a new wallet without the password or with a new password. For this, create a new wallet, select “restore” and enter your seed words. It should restore your wallet without the need for you old password.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: