Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 01:11:29 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Account got hacked on LocalBitCoins  (Read 869 times)
Agbecoins (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 08:51:24 AM

Hello Guys,

I recently lost over 6BTC on Localbitcoins. The support team claimed my email address was hacked into which I doubt cos while the bitcoin was sent out of my account, I was in the middle of a trade which I asked the buyer to cancel because I wanted to change my trade price. After asking the buyer to cancel, next thing I saw was the bitcoin transaction  over 6.3btc leaving my wallet pending confirmation.

At that point, I couldn't login to my account anymore. I immediately raised a support ticket which wasn't attended to until the transaction got completed and the bitcoin was successfully sent out of my wallet to an unknown bitcoin address.

Usually when a new browser is used to attempt login into an account, a login guard email is sent to the registered email address but in this case no email was received to show a new browser is attempting login. This is the only way I know that my account could have been hacked into and a successful transaction completed even in my absence. But in this case, the transfer was done while I was logged in.

Please I'll appreciate contributions on ways you think the bitcoin was stolen as I am not convinced that my email was hacked into. And even if it was, I dont have my password saved in my email.

I'll be available to answer further questions
gredisgold88

Activity: 714
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 10:41:53 AM

it is not possible, and making me instantly believe you, because it might not be if there is no authority delivery of email, if you execute the delivery without via email is impossible
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 11:13:54 AM

in localbitcoins funds are locked into escrow.
only you and the other trader can unlock it. i presume the other party simply ignored your request to cancel and instead accepted the trade.

meaning they have your bitcoin.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 11:23:20 AM

even if your email got hacked how would they guess the authy 2fa code?
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 11:34:38 AM

My first suspicion would be that your browser was somehow tricked into sending the HTTP requests needed to withdraw the coins to that address while you were already logged in. Either by some clever hack or because you clicked a link you shouldn't have.
Mlich

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

Official Augmentors Developer

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2017, 12:46:33 PM

My first suspicion would be that your browser was somehow tricked into sending the HTTP requests needed to withdraw the coins to that address while you were already logged in. Either by some clever hack or because you clicked a link you shouldn't have.
a web browser getting tricked this is interesting.... so is there a way of avoiding this happening to someone else, because peoples funds have been hacked not only on localbitcoins but paxful as well Sad and so called hack happens during a trade.

AUGMENTORS
Worlds 1st Augmented Reality Bitcoin blockchain based game.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: