Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:23:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Slate: - Bitcoin is a ponzi scheme  (Read 3826 times)
randrace

Activity: 329
Merit: 250

LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 09:24:52 PM

More like... Bitcoin: Ponzi is a Slate Scheme

...am I right, people?
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 09:31:22 PM

Remember this simple clue.

People who believe it is people who determine the quality of a product and not the product itself will focus on Satoshi and the fact that they cannot judge Bitcoin because they cannot judge Satoshi.

If Satoshi was out hobnobbing with celebrities and taking trips to Africa to help starving orphans between trips from London to DC dinner parties then Bitcoin would be the best thing known to man.

If Satoshi was some rich guy who likes his solitude in the Montana countryside with his large family, then Bitcoin would be a horrible thing.

Because Slate cannot judge the product based upon the man, they must default to it being a scam.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 09:43:10 PM

It's just a vanity venture, run by some snotty New York rich kids who would sooner put on a burka than serve in a US military uniform.   Roll Eyes

I'd rather wear a burka than a nationalistic clown costume as well. But yeah I think your assessment of Slate is probably spot on Wink
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 09:50:38 PM

Get over yourself.

Just the facts ma'am!  You may unclench and remove the knot from your panties now.   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
alcibiades

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 10:23:57 PM

I really don't like the fact that early adopters can own a huge % of the total currency that will ever be in existence. I wish the mining rate would taper off, but never go to 0. That way people that just hold their money get diluted eventually. There's no risk that Satoshi suddenly shows up one day with BTC worth $10 trillion
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 10:27:48 PM

I wish the mining rate would taper off, but never go to 0.
Right now, BTC has eight decimal places. If that gets expanded within the next couple decades, mining will continue to generate coins for much longer than the "early-mid 22nd century" cutoff in the current algorithm. Granted, it'd still asymptotically approach 21 million coins. Just that instead of the block reward going to zero, it'll go to a small number that'd round to zero.

If you're asking for no asymptote - for endless growth - well, there's a lot of folks who would never have signed on if BTC wasn't provably scarce the way it is.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 02:10:03 PM

I really don't like the fact that early adopters can own a huge % of the total currency that will ever be in existence. I wish the mining rate would taper off, but never go to 0. That way people that just hold their money get diluted eventually. There's no risk that Satoshi suddenly shows up one day with BTC worth $10 trillion

Early adopters currently own 100% of the bitcoins in existence, and over half of the total that will ever be in existence. We are all early adopters, if you think about how few people in the world have even ever heard of bitcoins. Anybody who wants can join us and be an early adopter too.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 02:30:53 PM

The title. Just downhill from there.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
dandirk

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 02:33:13 PM

My opinion...

BTC is a...

scheme!
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 02:37:35 PM

It's just a vanity venture, run by some snotty New York rich kids who would sooner put on a burka than serve in a US military uniform.   Roll Eyes
I'd rather wear a burka than a nationalistic clown costume as well. But yeah I think your assessment of Slate is probably spot on Wink
I hear they're quite cool in the summer. Oh, and it's Burqa. Wink

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: