Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:24:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to import Wallet from Blockchain.info?  (Read 778 times)
CorsairTT007 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 05:21:22 PM

Hi,

so blockchain.info did switch to this new interface, right? I know it has been implented permanentely without the option to switch to legacy, like a few month ago. Back then I did download the Backup (which is a file named "wallet.aes.json"), after that I still received and spent a few BTCs.

So, does that file contain the private key (which I believe is necessary to import the BTC address to another wallet)? If yes, how do I exactly import my blockchain wallet to another wallet? And if I manage to import it, do I have the exact same amount I have currently on blockchain.info, as I said I did receive and spent a few BTCs after I made the backup in the old interface.
And can I recommend a desktop wallet which offers a two factor authentication (e.g. SMS code that is sent to your mobile device).
I am pretty much a noob when it comes to technical stuff so be aware while giving me instructions Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2017, 06:05:40 PM

Hi,

so blockchain.info did switch to this new interface, right? I know it has been implented permanentely without the option to switch to legacy, like a few month ago. Back then I did download the Backup (which is a file named "wallet.aes.json"), after that I still received and spent a few BTCs.

So, does that file contain the private key (which I believe is necessary to import the BTC address to another wallet)? If yes, how do I exactly import my blockchain wallet to another wallet?
You have to decrypt the file (or some stuff in the file, I don't know exactly). This will decrypt the private keys. Then you take those private keys and import them into another wallet. How to import depends on the wallet.

And if I manage to import it, do I have the exact same amount I have currently on blockchain.info, as I said I did receive and spent a few BTCs after I made the backup in the old interface.
As long as no Bitcoin was spent between the time of the backup creation and when you imported, yes. The wallet backup does not actually store Bitcoin. The Bitcoin is "stored" on the blockchain. What the wallet saves is actually the information necessary to spend those Bitcoin (i.e. the private keys).

And can I recommend a desktop wallet which offers a two factor authentication (e.g. SMS code that is sent to your mobile device).
No desktop wallet has any such two factor authentication. This would require the use of a central third party service which no wallet developer wants their users to use as this could mean that the wallet would no longer function should that service shut down.

Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 06:25:56 PM

I think he is talking about Multisignature wallet or also called 2FA and the only free wallet with such option is the Electrum wallet. Electrum offers the 2FA in google authenticator app but this way will use only the trusted coin servers. Not recommended in my view. As a beginning, switching from Blockchain.info to Electrum is enough.

You can read more here about this problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3wyjev/electrum_2fa_help/?st=ixnk71mj&sh=74fa7b9a

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █