Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:34:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Testing - Mainnet in a Box via Docker  (Read 419 times)
vkhougaz (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 06:58:23 PM

Hallo my crypto-compatriots!

I am [perhaps foolishly] developing my own code to receive bitcoin payments for a new game. As I prefer to do things in a robust manner I am looking for ways to ensure the code is reliable before exposing it to the General Public. Automated testing is a fantastic way to ensure your code is protected against all manner of badness, now and in future iterations.

My general plan of attack is to set up several nodes configured such that they do not connect to the network at large and instead communicate solely with each other. I would premine several hundred coin for the system to use.

In this way I would be able to orchestrate payments and check that my code handles them in an expected manner, as well as trigger double spends, transaction malleability attacks, and block reorgs.

Has anyone come across something similar? What other exploits should I be guarding against? Anyone interested in seeing the result?

I am also interested in any other docker related bitcoin handling. It seems like a decent way to setup a reasonably secure and reproducible bitcoin environment.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2017, 10:03:10 AM

Hallo my crypto-compatriots!

I am [perhaps foolishly] developing my own code to receive bitcoin payments for a new game. As I prefer to do things in a robust manner I am looking for ways to ensure the code is reliable before exposing it to the General Public. Automated testing is a fantastic way to ensure your code is protected against all manner of badness, now and in future iterations.

My general plan of attack is to set up several nodes configured such that they do not connect to the network at large and instead communicate solely with each other. I would premine several hundred coin for the system to use.

In this way I would be able to orchestrate payments and check that my code handles them in an expected manner, as well as trigger double spends, transaction malleability attacks, and block reorgs.

Has anyone come across something similar?

Sounds like testnet in a box, which AFAIKT is no longer needed because bitcoin core now has regtest[1]

What other exploits should I be guarding against? Anyone interested in seeing the result?

I am also interested in any other docker related bitcoin handling. It seems like a decent way to setup a reasonably secure and reproducible bitcoin environment.

IMHO your main concern should be double spend attempts, which can be mitigated by requiring at least 1 (or n) confirmations.

[1] https://bitcoin.org/en/developer-examples#regtest-mode

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
JaniceMaxson

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 12:22:28 PM

Is this another "great way" to earn bitcoins? Looks like a scam again. Can you explain a bit more about your idea?
I made something like this before, using my best service to buy affordable term papers. It didn't work.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: