Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 04:38:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems Importing Private Key  (Read 597 times)
sr_505 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 06:00:47 AM

Definitely a noob to BTC

I purchased bitcoin, downloaded Bitcoin Core, and sent the bitcoin to the Core wallet. I then realized that it was going to take multiple days for the "Synchronizing with network" to finish, so I created a private key using the address I had sent the bitcoin to. I then opened Electra, which I have used before, went to Wallet>Private keys>Sweep and entered the private key, and pressed "Sweep". A window then popped up showing the correct value of BTC that I was attempting to transfer, and I was given a new address, that now shows up under "Used" under the "Addresses" tab in Electrum with 0. under "Balance " and 0 under "Tx".

Here's where I think I did something wrong: I was following an online guide that was using an outdated version of Electrum, so a few of the commands were different; I right clicked the new address under the "Addresses" tab and clicked "Request Payment", after which is I was taken to the "Receive" tab, with the new address in the "Receiving Address" field, and the correct amount of BTC in the "Requested amount" field, and I pressed "Save".

I now have the request for the correct amount of BTC in the "Requests" list, with "Pending" as the status and a wallet Balance of 0. This deviates heavily from what the online guide I was following had as the result, as the amount of BTC seemed to immediately be available in the Wallet on the guide.

From researching a bit, I'm starting to think that this is because I had already used Electra, and therefore was using a wallet that had a seed, which is apparently a no-no for importing private keys.

What can I do now? Have I messed up the transfer beyond repair, is there something else I need to do, or do I just need to wait a few more hours for the pending transfer to go through? If my explanation is too vague feel free to ask me to clarify whatever I need to, thank you!
longbob72

Activity: 574
Merit: 503

V2h5IGFyZSB5b3UgcmVhZGluZyB0aGlzPw==

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 11:22:21 AM

I purchased bitcoin, downloaded Bitcoin Core, and sent the bitcoin to the Core wallet. I then realized that it was going to take multiple days for the "Synchronizing with network" to finish, so I created a private key using the address I had sent the bitcoin to. I then opened Electra, which I have used before, went to Wallet>Private keys>Sweep and entered the private key, and pressed "Sweep". A window then popped up showing the correct value of BTC that I was attempting to transfer, and I was given a new address, that now shows up under "Used" under the "Addresses" tab in Electrum with 0. under "Balance " and 0 under "Tx".

You shouldn't even have any address under "Used" if you have no transactions. Can you post the address? And your address from bitcoin core too just in case.

Here's where I think I did something wrong: I was following an online guide that was using an outdated version of Electrum, so a few of the commands were different; I right clicked the new address under the "Addresses" tab and clicked "Request Payment", after which is I was taken to the "Receive" tab, with the new address in the "Receiving Address" field, and the correct amount of BTC in the "Requested amount" field, and I pressed "Save".

I now have the request for the correct amount of BTC in the "Requests" list, with "Pending" as the status and a wallet Balance of 0. This deviates heavily from what the online guide I was following had as the result, as the amount of BTC seemed to immediately be available in the Wallet on the guide.

That's not necessary but should've worked. It will stay pending until it expires unless the address receive the requested bitcoins or if you delete the request.

▄▄███████▄▄                           ▄      ▄
   ██████████████▄                       ███    ███
  ███▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀████                     ███    ███
  █████████████▄ ▀███                    ███    ███   █▄ ▄▄
   ▀████▄  ▄▄███  ▀███                   ███    ███  ▄████
   ▄███████████   ▄███                  ███    ███  ▀▀███▀▀
   ███           ▄███         ▄▄▄▄      ███    ███     █    ▄▄  ▄▄▄▄
  ▄███     ▄▄▄▄█████        ▄█████▄    ▄██▀   ▄██▀    ███   █████████
  ███▄    ████████         ▄███▀▀███   ███    ███    ███▀   █████▀████
   ███     ▀▀█████▄      ▄█████▄ ███   ███    ███    ███    ████   ███
   ███         ▀███▄     ███▀███ ███  ███▀   ███▀    ███    ███▀   ███
   ███           ███▄    ███  ▀▀ ███  ███    ███    ███▀   ▄███    ███
   ▀██▄           ███    ███▄  ▄███   ███    ███    ███    ███    ███▀
    ███           ▀███▄   ████████    ███    ███    ███    ███    ███
    ▀██            ▀████   ▀████▀      ██     ██    ▀██    ▀█▀    ▀█▀

▄▄▀                ▀▄▄
     ▄ ▀▀                    ▀▀ ▄
   ▄ ▀▀▀                      ▀▀▀ ▄
  ▄▀▀▀                          ▀▀▀▄
 ▀█▄▄                            ▄▄█▀
▄█  ▄                            ▄  █▄
▀█ █▀                            ▀█ █▀
█▄  ▄                            ▄  ▄█
▀█ █                              █ █▀
█▄   █                          █   ▄█
 ██▄█▀                          ▀█▄██
  ▀▀  ▄█                      █▄  ▀▀
  ▀██▄ ▀  █▄              ▄█  ▀ ▄██▀
    ▀▀▀   ██  █▄      ▄█  ██   ▀▀▀
     ▀███▄▄▀  ███    ███  ▀▄▄███▀
        ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀    ▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀█████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀
Free Bitcoins
Chat Lottery & Games
Level Up System with Rewards
▄████████▄  ▄████████▄
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
 ████████    ████████
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
▀████████▀  ▀████████▀
sr_505 (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 01:31:38 PM

You shouldn't even have any address under "Used" if you have no transactions. Can you post the address? And your address from bitcoin core too just in case.

That's not necessary but should've worked. It will stay pending until it expires unless the address receive the requested bitcoins or if you delete the request.

I have done some basic transactions in Electrum before, though never using a private key. The Electrum address is 1KpHseLmAmchBnMvVmoJ8nmoutNTEobkDW. It was actually two bitcoin core addresses, though I entered both of the private keys at the same time into Electrum. The core addresses are 1J5BUcQbYN5Z4e1rY8JbKKHZQ98rctXxvY and 1HcVG8ipPAVTdVMENfxWLXZSwUMBhG1JLE.

Do I have any options if it expires without my Electrum wallet receiving the BTC?
longbob72

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 01:38:00 PM

I have done some basic transactions in Electrum before, though never using a private key. The Electrum address is 1KpHseLmAmchBnMvVmoJ8nmoutNTEobkDW. It was actually two bitcoin core addresses, though I entered both of the private keys at the same time into Electrum. The core addresses are 1J5BUcQbYN5Z4e1rY8JbKKHZQ98rctXxvY and 1HcVG8ipPAVTdVMENfxWLXZSwUMBhG1JLE.

Do I have any options if it expires without my Electrum wallet receiving the BTC?

I see both of the bitcoin core addresses still have bitcoins. Try sweeping again and don't forget to click "broadcast" when the transaction detail appears.

The request feature are not needed to receive bitcoins. Even if a request disappears you'll still receive bitcoins if someone sends some to your address.

▄▄▀                ▀▄▄
        ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀    ▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀█████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀
Free Bitcoins
Chat Lottery & Games
▄████████▄  ▄████████▄
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
 ████████    ████████
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
▀████████▀  ▀████████▀
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 01:58:27 PM

As a faster alternative to sweeping your keys you could import them into a new electrum wallet. You won't have to wait for 6 confirmations if you import the keys rather than sweep them.

I'm assuming you are using electrum rather than electrum HD.

Start your old electrum wallet, then click "file" in its menu, then select "new/restore". Click the OK button in the popup box that opens, then follow the instructions below.

An install wizard window should open. At the top of it select the "Restore a wallet or import keys" option, then click the "next" button.

Another window will open with a box in it that you can type your private key(s) into.

After that click the "next" button and another series of windows should open. Leave each window's settings as they are and click the "next" button in each one until the wallet opens.

You can leave the password boxes blank, the electrum wallet can work without a password.

When the wallet opens it should sync within minutes and show your Bitcoins. You can use it to send them wherever you like.

longbob72

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 02:13:58 PM

As a faster alternative to sweeping your keys you could import them into a new electrum wallet. You won't have to wait for 6 confirmations if you import the keys rather than sweep them.

Start your old electrum wallet, then click "file" in its menu, then select "new/restore". Click the OK button in the popup box that opens, then follow the instructions below.

Just remember that wallets created this way does have the HD feature so the wallet won't generate a new address to send your change to but will send them back to the address you imported. It's not recommended to use one address too many times.

Edit:
*Doesn't have the HD feature.

▄▄▀                ▀▄▄
        ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀    ▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀█████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀
Free Bitcoins
Chat Lottery & Games
▄████████▄  ▄████████▄
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
 ████████    ████████
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
▀████████▀  ▀████████▀
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 02:20:34 PM

Just remember that wallets created this way does have the HD feature so the wallet won't generate a new address to send your change to but will send them back to the address you imported. It's not recommended to use one address too many times.

+1

If you import your keys using that technique it's best to quickly send your Bitcoins to a regular electrum wallet generated from a seed phrase. That technique's main advantage is it gives you access to your Bitcoins faster than sweeping them. If you are in a hurry to access them it's faster.
sr_505 (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 03:22:00 PM

An install wizard window should open. At the top of it select the "Restore a wallet or import keys" option, then click the "next" button.

Another window will open with a box in it that you can type your private key(s) into.

After that click the "next" button and another series of windows should open. Leave each window's settings as they are and click the "next" button in each one until the wallet opens.

You can leave the password boxes blank, the electrum wallet can work without a password.

When the wallet opens it should sync within minutes and show your Bitcoins. You can use it to send them wherever you like.

Thank you so much, that worked perfectly!

And thank you to all that replied, I was about to pull my hair out over this
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: