Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:55:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Overall, have you made or lost money?
Made money - 226 (87.6%)
Lost money - 32 (12.4%)
Total Voters: 258

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The REAL suckers detection poll  (Read 3508 times)
Nesetalis

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:49:27 PM

i should say... From fall 2012 I had only maybe 1000$ USD worth of bitcoins... and very little fiat...
Today I have a few thousand USD worth of bitcoins, and I also lent 3,000$ USD to a room mate, purchased a 225$ monitor, 180$ shoes, and am sitting on a few thousand USD Tongue
Though I didn't sell or buy at the peaks or dips... I did well.

ZOMG Moo!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 04:59:12 PM

Realized gains are about 3 grand in FRNs, plus a few BTC, compared to the last time we were at this pricepoint.

If you want to include unrealized gains, I'm up about 12 grand since I bought in during the long stable period at $5.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 05:02:44 AM

Are you up or down overall?

Since when, and using which measurement?

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 05:58:45 AM

must be all smart money here.  It seems like everyone on the forums here sold at 200+ and bought back in the double digits.  Any tips on how to spot opportunities like this for someone who just sat on the sidelines holding?

That is what you might call a dead cat bounce.

A portion of the speculative investors, rush back in at what they believe are fire sale prices, which of course has the effect of pushing price back up beyond what it might otherwise be. In the long run however, fresh capital will not be attracted to an asset that has suffered an almighty crash with all the lame ass'd excuses from the likes of Gox just spreading yet more fear and distrust of the whole system. With the lack of new investors, and the miniscule real economic transactions conducted using Bitcoin, the near term turbo charge back to the previous highs doesn't quite materialise, resulting in more and more hoarders looking to rake in profits, which of course drives the price down.

If Bitcoin could get near to $150 again, I would short sell it in a minute of their was anyway that I could.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 06:08:07 AM

Does broken even count as Lost money or Made money?
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 03:39:16 PM

If Bitcoin could get near to $150 again, I would short sell it in a minute of their was anyway that I could.
Bitfinex supports shorts.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
alexh

Activity: 183
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 05:55:04 PM

Definitely made profit, but bitcoin-24 got a part of it now... sucks.
sStC9

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 07:35:57 PM

I'm making money until the price drops down to single digit pretty much. I have expanded my 1850 bitcoins further and now possess some 2000. To do this I sold off during the all time high and then I bought back during the lows. Still have some speculation coin but I'm too damn confused about this now so they're just sitting there.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 07:44:09 PM

I think there are no REAL suckers in this forum.. By just reading it for 7 days as I have done, I have pretty much absorbed enough to never have a chance of losing money with this.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
rhinospray

Activity: 37

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 08:44:21 PM

The only people that has earned something here are those that already have cashed out more than they cashed in.

The rest are Schrödinger's suckers. They will not know if they have earned money until they cash out

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 08:45:52 PM

I think there are no REAL suckers in this forum.. By just reading it for 7 days as I have done, I have pretty much absorbed enough to never have a chance of losing money with this.

My gut says you will be among the top10 suckers. Be sure to buy now  Grin
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 08:48:19 PM

The only people that has earned something here are those that already have cashed out more than they cashed in.

The rest are Schrödinger's suckers. They will not know if they have earned money until they cash out

Yes, nobody can be sure whether he's made a good investment, before he has wasted the money.

Before that, you will never know.

You honestly think USD is some kind of end-all? I think that gold is. But we are both wrong.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
rhinospray

Activity: 37

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 10:45:13 PM

Yes, nobody can be sure whether he's made a good investment, before he has wasted the money.

You honestly think USD is some kind of end-all? I think that gold is. But we are both wrong.

I don't know so I have minimized my options to be wrong.

I cashed out half of my earnings when it was clear that we were in bubble mode, at 20x my initial investment (after being bitten twice by bubbles I finally applied the two rules of sound investment: earn money and let others win the last dollar)

Now I have 10x my investment in EUR, that will go back to diversified value investment that, till now has been the best protection for my money.

I also had 10x in bitcoins, but then you know what happened this week. If bitcoin manages to transition from a binary commodity to a currency and a safe haven, I will be only half the millonaire I could have been. Otherwise it will collapse to 0 as people understand it has no other value. I will try to anticipate that and save the little left.

And if everything goes wrong, then I will dig up the two kilos of gold buried in the garden ten years ago, split it in small pieces, and try to survive with that.

But then an asteroid could impact earth, or North Korea could start a nuclear war or whatever.

So yes, you will never know
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 11:03:35 PM

I cashed out half of my earnings when it was clear that we were in bubble mode, at 20x my initial investment (after being bitten twice by bubbles I finally applied the two rules of sound investment: earn money and let others win the last dollar)

Now I have 10x my investment in EUR, that will go back to diversified value investment that, till now has been the best protection for my money.

I also had 10x in bitcoins, but then you know what happened this week. If bitcoin manages to transition from a binary commodity to a currency and a safe haven, I will be only half the millonaire I could have been. Otherwise it will collapse to 0 as people understand it has no other value. I will try to anticipate that and save the little left.

And if everything goes wrong, then I will dig up the two kilos of gold buried in the garden ten years ago, split it in small pieces, and try to survive with that.

I think the "cash out a part at 10x profit" is a viable strategy if you have the need for the money or have another investment to diversify to.

I, for example, don't need the money. I am making more than I need every day. Also I don't have other investments that could deliver even nearly the same returns as bitcoin. So I am prepared to invest more and more into bitcoin and never cash out. The number of my bitcoins will only ever grow. If the protocol is destroyed, but the world somehow is not, I have enough gold and silver. But I don't have the urge to cash out of bitcoins no matter how high it goes. If anything, I will divert a part of the daily earnings to something else than bitcoins, just for diversification's sake.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: