Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:47:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm not really sure to go from here? [LTC Pool Mining]  (Read 645 times)
Madous (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:23:55 AM
Last edit: April 12, 2013, 10:04:50 AM by Madous

Hey guys.

Recently started mining for LTC on my rig. Specs can be found here: https://i.imgur.com/QR6MOTa.png

My motherboard and CPU are running this hot due to mining as I type this on a solo miner. I can't figure out how to begin pool mining.

I'm trying to pool mine with the guys over at http://ltc.kattare.com/ but I'm not entirely sure what I should be doing. I have...

1. Downloaded the Litecoin Wallet client
2. Updated all blocks
3. Made an account on the site and linked it with my wallet ID.

From there the instructions on the site are... Pretty confusing for someone who hasn't delved into the mining program. Would someone be so kind as to help me find out a good setup and what other programs I ought to be running to get this as optimal as I can? Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Compeek

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 06:14:32 AM

I don't know much other than what I've managed to figure out, but I've been successfully mining Litecoins on and off at burnside's pool (what you linked to) for a while now.

I'm not sure if you can mine on that pool with the Litecoin client program, but I would recommend downloading ScryptMiner GUI: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=62414.0

At the mining pool site, go to your account settings page, and at the bottom there is a table titled Workers. You need to add one to start with (if you haven't already). Pick any name and password (really doesn't matter, and doesn't really need to be that secure) and click "Add Worker". Workers represent the computers you have mining. If you had a second computer you wanted to mine with as well, you would make a second worker.

In ScryptMiner GUI, set RPC Server to "ltc.kattare.com", Username and Password to whatever you put in for the worker, and leave Port as 9332.

You'll have to experiment with the Threads and Scantime settings. I don't really know what Scantime means, but for Threads, you want to have as many as you have CPU cores or less. I have a dual-core i3 (with hyper-threading, if I remember, so 4 virtual cores), and I'm using 3 threads and a scantime of 4. I get about 13 kh/s speed. Open Task Manager and watch your overall CPU usage when you start the miner. I'd recommend keeping it under 99%, at the very least. If you max it out, your computer won't really be usable for anything else while it's mining, and you might find it locking up or even blue screening. Play around with it and see if you can find a good balance.

I also recommend this program to monitor CPU temperatures and so forth: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html For a desktop, your CPU temps should be around 60 degrees C or less. If you're going over that, you could damage your CPU over time. So, watch the temperatures as well when you try different settings with the miner.

Let me know if that helps. Smiley
Madous (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 06:26:41 AM

Seems like the download link is broken for the GUI. In FireFox, I get a "File could not be read" error upon trying to open the .zip.
Compeek

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 06:47:50 AM

I just downloaded it (using Opera) and it opened just fine in Windows Explorer. Maybe try another browser or something? MediaFire can be weird sometimes.
BBN

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 07:17:29 AM

First time I hear about that pool  Roll Eyes
Madous (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 07:52:55 AM
Last edit: April 12, 2013, 08:10:54 AM by Madous

I just downloaded it (using Opera) and it opened just fine in Windows Explorer. Maybe try another browser or something? MediaFire can be weird sometimes.
Negative. Just tried Chrome and IE. Still broken.
First time I hear about that pool  Roll Eyes
What? Is there something wrong with it? I can't tell if you're serious or not. :/

Edit: I should mention that I'm running Windows. Apparently the Mac and Linux versions work fine. I don't think the browser is at fault here.
Madous (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 09:10:24 AM

Bump. Could still use a hand. :/
hominin

Activity: 16

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 09:33:40 AM

might have better luck on the LTC forum Tongue i believe "don't mine with your CPU" is still valid and might help with those temps
Madous (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 09:55:20 AM
Last edit: April 12, 2013, 10:51:47 AM by Madous

might have better luck on the LTC forum Tongue i believe "don't mine with your CPU" is still valid and might help with those temps
Any chance you could link me to that? Either it's another site or I'm blind and am missing it on this one.

Edit: Ah! Nevermind, got it all figured out. Thread has served it's purpose. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: