Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:37:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin sell-off may be due in large or small part to BTC-E scam and/or hacks  (Read 1286 times)
Hfleer (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 06:51:17 AM

BTC-e accounts are getting hacked and/or the exchange operators themselves are stealing users coins.  This may be part of the reason for Bitcoin sell-off as the hackers would sell their coins.  It's impossible to determine exactly how many coins may have been stolen or how many accounts hacked at this time since BTC-e has not come out with any information.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
laughingbear
Deflationary champion

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

www.cryptobetfair.com

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 06:54:04 AM

BTC-E are thieves and scammers.  You would have to be stupid to use that exchange for any reason.

I doubt that this crash its linked to them though.
ShadowAlexey
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 968
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 06:59:10 AM

Since there was no real proof of any btc-e account hack, i think that you are making panic. Any account compromentation because of user`s stupidness has no relation to exchange.
laughingbear
Deflationary champion

www.cryptobetfair.com

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 07:02:00 AM

Since there was no real proof of any btc-e account hack, i think that you are making panic. Any account compromentation because of user`s stupidness has no relation to exchange.

A quick browse through the forums proves you wrong.
Hfleer (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 07:14:13 AM

Wow dude, have you any clue at all?

▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
bitcoinologist

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 03:20:40 PM

BTC-E is in freefall with HUNDREDS of complaint from people having lost BTC/LTC and USD.

Example. Many cannot access their account at all. I was lucky and manged to get in yet,strangely all transactions were showing "except" the BTC I sold for $240. No trace, no nothing...very convenient. Im lucky, it was 1 BTC I sold as a test of BTC-E, some are asking for $15,000 and more...and no replies no nothing.

Simply, whatever hack/attack took place is being used as an excuse to "wipe out" the heavy selling that took place during the BTC boom. BTC-E cannot meet their debts thanks to the large sell off of BTC and could not resist the chance to simply say, hell we got hacked sorry and thanks for all the USD.
bradmurmz

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 06:15:28 PM

I lost 200 BTC in this hack worth at the time more than 35k USD. I normally would not keep that amount of money in any exchange, but I was actively trading for other currencies while it happened.

Support has been pretty unresponsive so far except today I got an email from them asking for my username (again). I really hope they make good on this and will keep you all updated...

Also the break ins were most likely an SQL injection attack because somehow our emails on our accounts were changed without a verification email being sent first. All the attacker had to do was find an SQL injection exploit and then change the email, reset the password, and withdraw the money. It did not matter the strength or our passwords as some had 50 character long passwords (mine was a randomly generated unique to btc-e.com password with lower/uppercase and numbers). Also this could not have been a java or XSS attack because again, the email change would have had to of been verified first though our original email.

Please post any other information you guys might have about this.

Keninishna

Activity: 556

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 10:04:19 PM

I just lost 3600$ overnight in btc from btc-e. No way will I use them again.
btc_lurker

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 10:46:36 PM

What is the recommended place for trading then ?

MtGox ? Nope.
BTC-e ? No, please.
Trade Hill ? I guess you have a longer memory than fishes, right ?

What is the liquidity and reliability of the others ones ?
laughingbear
Deflationary champion

www.cryptobetfair.com

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 11:21:39 PM

What is the recommended place for trading then ?

MtGox ? Nope.
BTC-e ? No, please.
Trade Hill ? I guess you have a longer memory than fishes, right ?

What is the liquidity and reliability of the others ones ?

yepp... this is bitcoins biggest problem.  mtgox may be unable to serve the needs of bitcoin, but btc-e are scammers and thieves.  someone WILL come and open a legit exchange that can operate smoothly.  The demand and profit is there.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 11:40:25 PM

It's impossible to determine exactly how many coins may have been stolen or how many accounts hacked at this time since BTC-e has not come out with any information.

Would you trust BTC-E to give accurate information if there was any discrepancies ?
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 12:46:28 AM

It's impossible to determine exactly how many coins may have been stolen or how many accounts hacked at this time since BTC-e has not come out with any information.

Would you trust BTC-E to give accurate information if there was any discrepancies ?
Does it matter? If there's no evidence, there isn't any reason to say there was a hack.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
btc_lurker

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 12:56:01 AM

Does it matter? If there's no evidence, there isn't any reason to say there was a hack.

How can it not matter ? People that use centralized services are trusting them, and here we can see some serious points being made. I don't believe they are FUD, I don't see why they would be (is everyone else working for mtgox and trying to bring customers back to mtgox ? now this sounds like FUD).

Also, we cannot collect the kind of evidences you seem to be after. But that doesn't imply in the non-existance of problems. To collect these evidences first we would need full access to BTC-E servers, I don't think we are getting that any time soon.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 02:12:24 PM

I am going to go out on a limb and say that if you got hacked you have probably been chatting in the troll box.

I can see (no easy) way for the hackers to get your initial account details without randomly harvesting account names of people posting in that chatbox. It is a far fetched hypothesis...but I would stay clear of the chatbox.

Of course, they could have gained access to a database, but if that were the case I would expect the problem to be much bigger. If you troll on the chatbox, you might want to take a break from posting on there.

Recently, BTC-e changed the chatbox to eliminate the links users (copiously) post. They also changed their login system from Username and password to email and password. I wonder why? Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: