Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 01:17:40 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining questions  (Read 457 times)
Jdope (OP)

Activity: 747
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 12:12:18 PM

Hello, i know this might have been asked before but i couldn't find an answer.

I want to get into mining, where i live electricity is quite cheap (about 0.05$ per kW), i'd just like to ask a few questions before starting to think of a rig assembly plan, im planning to mine eth or zcash, depending on what's better at the time.

1) Does an SSD matter in mining? would a cheap hdd lying around do the trick?

2)If i'm mining with 3-4 GPUs, would a h81 btc motherboard be necessary?

3) I know that the current most efficient GPUs are probably rx 470 and 4x 480, but i'm getting confused messages about which is better and is 8gb cards worth the extra dollars? Also what company is better for mining XFX, powercolor, sapphire, does it actually matter?

and lastly what are risers for?

Thanks for the help.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 12:36:59 PM

the most efficient is not on amd for sure, the 1060 seems to be the best deal for zcash, it can hash at 300 sol and only 70watt, no other gpu come close

price is also cheap so amd fanboy will not have excuse about "overpriced gpu"
Jdope (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 02:04:38 PM

That seems to be true, although on ethereum it does not mine as good as amd cards, i've seen alot of coins come and pass while ethereum is still somehow standing, so will focusing on mining zcash will be worth it? and will it be a long process like ethereum is?
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 02:21:57 PM

I want to get into mining, where i live electricity is quite cheap (about 0.05$ per kW), i'd just like to ask a few questions before starting to think of a rig assembly plan, im planning to mine eth or zcash, depending on what's better at the time.

3) I know that the current most efficient GPUs are probably rx 470 and 4x 480, but i'm getting confused messages about which is better and is 8gb cards worth the extra dollars? Also what company is better for mining XFX, powercolor, sapphire, does it actually matter?

Thanks for the help.

1) SSD does not help at all, go for cheap hdd
2) H81 would not be necessary for 3-4 gpus as long as you have motherboard that supports them
3) Zcash will die and Nvidia is currently only good at zcash. Go for AMD, best card overall now is RX 470. If you get that you cannot be wrong
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 04:09:48 PM

That seems to be true, although on ethereum it does not mine as good as amd cards, i've seen alot of coins come and pass while ethereum is still somehow standing, so will focusing on mining zcash will be worth it? and will it be a long process like ethereum is?

etheruem it's not worth it anymore, i see better future for anon coin, also they are planning to reduce the reward, the same for exapanse, and shift is dead, so all the dag algo are doomed to fail
Jdope (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 08:12:10 PM

Thanks for the help.

1) SSD does not help at all, go for cheap hdd
2) H81 would not be necessary for 3-4 gpus as long as you have motherboard that supports them
3) Zcash will die and Nvidia is currently only good at zcash. Go for AMD, best card overall now is RX 470. If you get that you cannot be wrong

Thanks, comparing rx 480 and rx 470 if they're both approximately the same price, which one would win? also is the 8gb any better for mining?
kurbeks

Activity: 1078
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 08:29:04 PM

And besides you can get more money from ETH then zcash now. For some time now. I would pick up either 480rx 4gb. Or if you can get cheap 290x/390x older cards from ebay. As your electricty is cheap you can go that way. Can also go 280x.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: