Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:05:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-04-12 Falkvinge.net - What We Learn From This Bitcoin Correction  (Read 2247 times)
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 09:52:30 AM

What We Learn From This Bitcoin Correction
by Rick Falkvinge

An exchange [Mt. Gox] that has a ten-minute lag in trading orders at best, and is completely unreachable at worst, can barely be taken seriously as a hobby project – and certainly not as the main hub of a next-generation billion-dollar trading system. MtGox shutting down trading mid-correction was just the icing on the cake that confirmed this.
[...]
his was not the second peak, but something like the fourth or fifth similar event. We can be certain it is not the last.
[...]
Most importantly, failure or success of short-term speculation is irrelevant to bitcoin’s eventual success as a decentralized, resilient currency.
[...]
The good news, as said, is that we may expect a lot of [the exchanges] to be fixed by the next time this happens. Maybe in the spring of 2015, maybe sooner, maybe later.

- http://falkvinge.net/2013/04/12/what-we-learn-from-this-bitcoin-correction/

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
davidpbrown

Activity: 531
Merit: 260

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 10:28:19 AM

> Most importantly, failure or success of short-term speculation is irrelevant to bitcoin’s eventual success as a decentralized, resilient currency.

Most of the recent peak I wonder was those looking for quick profit rather than understanding Bitcoin. So long as a base floor of those holding coins increases, there won't be a problem with Bitcoin establishing itself. I'm very encouraged by what I've seen to date and expect we'll see the results from of a lot of investment in Bitcoin's future over the next year or two. Obviously exchanges are not coins. I expect some larger investors might start to understand Bitcoin's potential and then perhaps even the media will understand the opportunity here. All takes time.

฿://12vxXHdmurFP3tpPk7bt6YrM3XPiftA82s
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:25:54 PM

I'm actually quite relieved that we had the correction. My charts looked insane, even on the log scale. Even if Mt. Gox hadn't had sky-high lag, or the halt, I think it would've happened just as a natural correction after such an unprecedented run-up. I say this because my proprietary indicators peaked on April 9th - at a level similar to when we had the massive rally in 2011.

It also spurred Mt. Gox to upgrade their systems, and drove business to other exchanges - decentralizing the risk of having too much in one place. I look forward to the possible start of the London exchange that Kieser mentioned a bit ago. The more we have online, the better.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:58:46 PM

nothing ever goes up in a straight line forever; let alone one going parabolic.

this was a needed correction to scare off the weak hands.  it will give others with more conviction a chance to get on the train at much better prices.

this is just how bull markets work.  no big deal.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: