Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:40:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox hacked? I am locked out of my account  (Read 2391 times)
Derechef (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 10:23:31 AM
Last edit: June 09, 2013, 09:50:03 PM by Derechef

There is one new reason to stop using MtGox.

When I woke up on Wednesday morning there were emails from MtGox in my inbox: emails saying there had been trades on my account (I had no open orders), emails saying that there had been withdrawals, non-BTC redeemable codes deprecation notices and one last email saying that my password had been reset.

My password was very secure, I NEVER told anyone my password, I was not using this password on any other website, I have never been on a phishing website or on websites like mtgox-chat, there is no key-logger on my computer, my OS is Linux, etc.
I am quite security-aware and I never had a problem with any of my account being hacked. I also checked the activity on my Gmail account and there were no suspicious connection.
I could not understand what happened the issue is almost certainly on MtGox side.

So I tried the password recovery procedure and it was not working. I then sent an email to the support explaining everything. I also sent a message on Twitter.

I had not a single answer for two days nor could I connect to my account. These were two very painful days. This morning I finally received a message from the support saying they cannot do anything and I will not be refunded.

I am not familiar with non-BTC redeemable codes but it means the hacker is transferring some funds to an other MtGox account, right? I cannot understand why they are saying they cannot do anything. Beside the password recovery procedure is still NOT working. I still do not know if there is anything left on my account.

I had been selling Bitcoins for a couple of weeks and there were around 20,000€ and 63 bitcoins on my account. I received 6 withdrawals emails and 4 non-BTC redeemable codes deprecation notices.
According to the emails, the hacker bought 100 BTC then sold 70 BTC then bought 70 BTC. The trades were done at around 180€ per Bitcoin.
My account had a "Verified" status. Anyone know what are the withdrawal limits? I hope there is something left on my account...

Of course I sent an other message to the support but they are so slow to answer. I will keep you updated...

In the meantime be very careful with your MtGox accounts. If you do not have a Yubikey you should move your money NOW.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
shibaji

Activity: 308
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 10:29:54 AM

Wow! Very sorry to hear that.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 10:40:04 AM

GoxUSD can be redeemed in places other than Gox, and is indeed considered currency in OTC trades for PPUSD, WU, BTC, etc.

There have been no other account compromises I'm aware of in the past few days.

Did you have 2FA enabled? If so, it's likely an indication this might not be isolated. Maybe you used a service like LastPass?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 10:49:55 AM

Maybe not isolated. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=174556.0;topicseen
Derechef (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 10:53:32 AM

GoxUSD can be redeemed in places other than Gox, and is indeed considered currency in OTC trades for PPUSD, WU, BTC, etc.

Embarrassed

Did you have 2FA enabled? If so, it's likely an indication this might not be isolated. Maybe you used a service like LastPass?

No I don't use services like LastPass. And unfortunately I did not had 2FA enabled. I was not using my MtGox account until very recently when I began selling my Bitcoins.
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 08:32:44 AM

Maybe you used a service like LastPass?
What's this about LastPass? Was there a security breach I'm not aware of?

Elon Krusky
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 04:25:40 PM

Not that I know of. In the event of an account breach anywhere, it's standard procedure for the clever ones to try those passwords on password management services and, of course, email accounts. Account breaches somewhere else should always be considered when wondering how credentials were taken -- that's all I was getting at.  Smiley
EuroTrash

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 07:48:08 PM

Not that I know of. In the event of an account breach anywhere, it's standard procedure for the clever ones to try those passwords on password management services and, of course, email accounts. Account breaches somewhere else should always be considered when wondering how credentials were taken -- that's all I was getting at.  Smiley

Derechef, sorry for your loss.
Was your MtGox password used only on Gox?

<=== INSERT SMART SIGNATURE HERE ===>
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 08:02:15 PM

I could not understand what happened the issue is almost certainly on MtGox side.

If you don't understand what happened, why are you so certain the issue is with Mt. Gox?

You don't know what happened so I would suggest looking for some evidence before suggesting that Mt. Gox was hacked and, for some reason, your account was the only one targeted.

How is that related? Stereotype claims to now have more BTC than when he started and had no trouble accessing his account.

Still around.
Distribution

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 01:58:13 AM

There is one new reason to stop using MtGox.

When I woke up on Wednesday morning there were emails from MtGox in my inbox: emails saying there had been trades on my account (I had no open orders), emails saying that there had been withdrawals, non-BTC redeemable codes deprecation notices and one last email saying that my password had been reset.

My password was very secure, I NEVER told anyone my password, I was not using this password on any other website, I have never been on a phishing website or on websites like mtgox-chat, there is no key-logger on my computer, my OS is Linux, etc.
I am quite security-aware and I never had a problem with any of my account being hacked. I also checked the activity on my Gmail account and there were no suspicious connection.

So I tried the password recovery procedure and it was not working. I then sent an email to the support explaining everything. I also sent a message on Twitter.

I had not a single answer for two days nor could I connect to my account. These were two very painful days. This morning I finally received a message from the support saying they cannot do anything and I will not be refunded.

I am not familiar with non-BTC redeemable codes but it means the hacker is transferring some funds to an other MtGox account, right? I cannot understand why they are saying they cannot do anything. Beside the password recovery procedure is still NOT working. I still do not know if there is anything left on my account.

I had been selling Bitcoins for a couple of weeks and there were around 20,000€ and 63 bitcoins on my account. I received 6 withdrawals emails and 4 non-BTC redeemable codes deprecation notices.
According to the emails, the hacker bought 100 BTC then sold 70 BTC then bought 70 BTC. The trades were done at around 180€ per Bitcoin.
My account had a "Verified" status. Anyone know what are the withdrawal limits? I hope there is something left on my account...

Of course I sent an other message to the support but they are so slow to answer. I will keep you updated...

In the meantime be very careful with your MtGox accounts. If you do not have a Yubikey you should move your money NOW.

I just had a similar situation. I'm locked out waiting for them to reply. Weird thing is, I never got an email saying my password was changed nor that my email was changed. I never got emails saying that there trades either. And yes, my password sounds like it was as secure as yours. There could be a few things going on here. But in any case, I'm waiting to get into my account to see if everything's gone. I really hope that the account got frozen. But I'm not going to hold my breath. If it works out, I'm going to get the 2fa like you said. If not, I'm done with exchanges.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: