Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 03:44:19 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best CPU and GPU choices for a mining rig?  (Read 18416 times)
linklinklink (OP)

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 11:27:03 PM

Hi everyone, just curious what your recommendations are for CPU mining and GPU mining.
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 11:38:36 PM

Right now, the RX 470 is the best value. It has the quickest ROI and is not much slower than the RX 480. However AMD's Vega GPUs are underway so if you're thinking of setting up a RIG right now, you should wait because they are right around the corner.
As for the CPU, the new Z270 platform is the best for multiple GPUs because it has 4 more PCIE lanes than Z170. Though right now there aren't any Kaby Lake i3s or Pentiums so you HAVE to buy an i5 7600K which is expensive. Alternatively you can get a Z170 but you'll have to search if the motherboard supports 6 GPUs because it's kind of a hit and miss, paired with an i3 6100 CPU (to avoid any bottlenecks that might occur with a Pentium).
If you don't want 4+ GPUs, any CPU + motherboard combo will do as long as there are enough slots.

Speaking STRICTLY for CPU mining, 4 Intel Xeon E7-8890 CPUs on a Supermicro X10QBL-4CT motherboard for a total of 96 cores and 192 threads, is the best choice.
Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 11:42:25 PM

7700K for CPU mining IMO

GPU's wait until RX500 series hits as RX480 price may drop.

CPU to watch for: AMD Ryzen -- might be good for mining.
linklinklink (OP)

Activity: 68

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 12:13:47 AM

Thanks for the input EyeD and EmoC. Anyone else have some input? Thanks
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 12:14:33 AM

If you want to invest into CPU mining you will basically ROI never. I haven't seen a coin that could be mined with cpu and gave you some reasonable monthly profit because generally good CPUs are expensive and you are much better of forgetting about them in the world of mining and invest into gpu mining. Best gpu overall is RX 470 at this point
Cubirez

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 03:41:19 AM

470 / 480 are the best choices currently.
If you've got cheap electricity you could also take a look to the Fury which is selling @ 260 usd on newegg and mining @ ~ 380 sol/s on ZEC makes it quite interesting.
However these don't perform as well on CN or ethhash so you have to rely on ZEC exclusively.
ccccccc7

Activity: 223

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 07:32:18 PM

Right now, the RX 470 is the best value. It has the quickest ROI and is not much slower than the RX 480. However AMD's Vega GPUs are underway so if you're thinking of setting up a RIG right now, you should wait because they are right around the corner.
As for the CPU, the new Z270 platform is the best for multiple GPUs because it has 4 more PCIE lanes than Z170. Though right now there aren't any Kaby Lake i3s or Pentiums so you HAVE to buy an i5 7600K which is expensive. Alternatively you can get a Z170 but you'll have to search if the motherboard supports 6 GPUs because it's kind of a hit and miss, paired with an i3 6100 CPU (to avoid any bottlenecks that might occur with a Pentium).
If you don't want 4+ GPUs, any CPU + motherboard combo will do as long as there are enough slots.

Speaking STRICTLY for CPU mining, 4 Intel Xeon E7-8890 CPUs on a Supermicro X10QBL-4CT motherboard for a total of 96 cores and 192 threads, is the best choice.

Sorry but I am now curious to ask. How much, if at all, does your CPU affect the hashrate of GPU?

I have 3 rigs all with celeron g1840 (so I can't compare with anything myself) and I seem to get slightly lower hashrate that what other report on here etc and now I am thinking it may be because of this CPU is not as powerful as perhaps i3 or i5. This happens on zec and xmr, I have 1 rig with 6 GPU and 2 rigs with 2 GPU
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 3977

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 07:35:54 PM

If you've got cheap electricity you could also take a look to the Fury which is selling @ 260 usd on newegg and mining @ ~ 380 sol/s on ZEC makes it quite interesting.
However these don't perform as well on CN or ethhash so you have to rely on ZEC exclusively.

I also thought that 470/480 are the best, but you can get 1060 for $200 and it does 260-270h/s in ZEC and 22mh in eth and you can get a smaller (one fan) short unit, which is relevant for a minority who use PCs instead of large rigs.
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224

CryptoLearner

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 07:37:44 PM

Sorry but I am now curious to ask. How much, if at all, does your CPU affect the hashrate of GPU?

I have 3 rigs all with celeron g1840 (so I can't compare with anything myself) and I seem to get slightly lower hashrate that what other report on here etc and now I am thinking it may be because of this CPU is not as powerful as perhaps i3 or i5. This happens on zec and xmr, I have 1 rig with 6 GPU and 2 rigs with 2 GPU

CPU does barely nothing in GPU mining, even the cheapest CPU will be loaded @ like 25% average on a 6x gpu rig. If your cpu isn't 100% all the time, no way it will hinder gpu mining.
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 10:03:51 PM

I also thought that 470/480 are the best, but you can get 1060 for $200 and it does 260-270h/s in ZEC and 22mh in eth and you can get a smaller (one fan) short unit, which is relevant for a minority who use PCs instead of large rigs.
It's not relevant really. All card sizes fit in most PC cases of todays market. The only exceptions being those REALLY tiny ITX cases which you can only fit an R9 Nano. But you wouldn't be mining with such a PC anyways, because temperatures are a huge issue then. Really, small graphics cards are too niche these days.
wilkas

Activity: 104

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 05:54:22 AM

I have a RX480 that I would like to put on separate PC build from cheap second hand components. What is the cheapest/olded CPU that would not cause bottleneck? I think AMD is preferable as these were always cheaper.
evader11

Activity: 434

Hexhash.xyz

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 06:22:18 AM

Hi everyone, just curious what your recommendations are for CPU mining and GPU mining.
For me, it depends on price of CPU and GPU.

Heimer

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 11:05:26 AM

If you have money then simply buy Ryzen 1600 and mine with monero.
bluedeep
Legendary

Activity: 977
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 11:12:53 AM

I have a RX480 that I would like to put on separate PC build from cheap second hand components. What is the cheapest/olded CPU that would not cause bottleneck? I think AMD is preferable as these were always cheaper.
Yeahh, AMD is a good option for "cpu mining" I'm using two FX 8350 with no problem, for more than two years. For GPU mining I recommend RX470 and RX480.

||
IDO PARTNER
▄▄▄▀▀▀██▄▄
████▀▀░▀███
███▌████▐███
███▌████████▌
███▌█████████
███▌█████████
███▌████▐███▌
▄▄▄▄▄█▀░███▀
▀▀██▀▄██▀▀
DAOStarter
IEO PARTNER
▄███▄
▄██▀▀▀▀██▄
██░░░░░░▀▀
██░░▀██▄▄░░
▀██▄▄▀▀██▄
░░▀▀██▄░░██
▄▄░░░░░░██
▀██▄▄▄▄██▀
▀███▀
Coinstore
LISTING
██▀▀▀▀████▄▄
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀█
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▐▐▌
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▌█
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█▄
███▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▀█▐▌
██▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄░░▐██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█▄▀
░▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀

▄███▄░▄███▄
▄██████████▄
▄█████████████▄
▄███████████████▄
▀███████████████▀
BitMart
MEXC
DEX PARTNERS

░▀▄░█▀▀▄▄▄
░▀▄▀████▀███▄
██▀██████▄▄▄▄▀
███░░▀████▀▀██▄
▄█████████░█▄░▀
█▀█▄███▀▀█████
▀▀▀░▀█▀▀▄████
██████▀░▀▄

█████▄▄▄▄▀
██▄▀█████▀░░▄▄
░▀█▄████▀███▄▀▀
▀█▄▀▀█▀█▀▄░▀████▀
█▄██▄░▀▄▀▄▀██▀▀
██▀▀
UNISWAP
LobsterSwap
Megaquake

Activity: 630
Merit: 506

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2017, 11:14:26 AM

Any good priced GPU's left? if not going to get some asic's

Mines at Kano.is best profit in the world!

在Kano.is的BTC
bluedeep
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 11:58:46 AM

Any good priced GPU's left? if not going to get some asic's
It depends what you want to mine. There are still a few coins which can be mined with GPU's and CPU's. Right now a good option is asic miner for DASH if you cand get one  for a good price.

||
IDO PARTNER
▄▄▄▀▀▀██▄▄
████▀▀░▀███
███▌████▐███
███▌████████▌
███▌█████████
███▌█████████
███▌████▐███▌
▄▄▄▄▄█▀░███▀
▀▀██▀▄██▀▀
DAOStarter
IEO PARTNER
▄███▄
▄██▀▀▀▀██▄
██░░░░░░▀▀
██░░▀██▄▄░░
▀██▄▄▀▀██▄
░░▀▀██▄░░██
▄▄░░░░░░██
▀██▄▄▄▄██▀
▀███▀
Coinstore
LISTING
██▀▀▀▀████▄▄
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀█
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▐▐▌
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▌█
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█▄
███▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▀█▐▌
██▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄░░▐██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█▄▀
░▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀

▄███▄░▄███▄
▄██████████▄
▄█████████████▄
▄███████████████▄
▀███████████████▀
BitMart
MEXC
DEX PARTNERS

░▀▄░█▀▀▄▄▄
░▀▄▀████▀███▄
██▀██████▄▄▄▄▀
███░░▀████▀▀██▄
▄█████████░█▄░▀
█▀█▄███▀▀█████
▀▀▀░▀█▀▀▄████
██████▀░▀▄

█████▄▄▄▄▀
██▄▀█████▀░░▄▄
░▀█▄████▀███▄▀▀
▀█▄▀▀█▀█▀▄░▀████▀
█▄██▄░▀▄▀▄▀██▀▀
██▀▀
UNISWAP
LobsterSwap
btcgolong

Activity: 451
Merit: 269

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 09:14:44 PM

Yeahh, AMD is a good option for "cpu mining" I'm using two FX 8350 with no problem, for more than two years. For GPU mining I recommend RX470 and RX480.

What are you mining?
bluedeep
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2017, 09:17:46 PM
Last edit: June 25, 2017, 09:28:03 PM by bluedeep

What are you mining?
Well, right now I'm not mining. Some technical problems. In the past I've been mined  Magi, Monero, and other cryptonote currencies. Ahh I forgot about Hodl coin.

PS: I mean, CPU mining, for GPU mining I intend to  mine some MNX ( right now I' mining ZEC , Ether, ZCL, Zen )

||
IDO PARTNER
▄▄▄▀▀▀██▄▄
████▀▀░▀███
███▌████▐███
███▌████████▌
███▌█████████
███▌█████████
███▌████▐███▌
▄▄▄▄▄█▀░███▀
▀▀██▀▄██▀▀
DAOStarter