Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:32:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a used R9 295x2  (Read 973 times)
PovertyByte (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 12:53:34 AM

I am thinking about buying a used R9 295x2 to stick in a HP that only holds one GPU. I have a 620w PSU in that build. I have 2 semesters left to utilize the electric in college dorms so that power guzzler is really the single greatest hasher I can put in a single PCIe slot. Downside is electric is not cheap in my area and I will be stuck with this card over the summer, I don't think the electric grid in my room could handle that card in one computer, my main computer doing mining when not in use with a GTX1070 which isn't too heavy, and an AC. After I graduate next fall the 295x2 would make for a good room heater at least.

My biggest concern though is that after a year from now the 295x2 won't have any resell value when somenewer GPU can severely beat it on efficiency and still do good on performance
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheRider

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 03:02:27 AM

It sounds like you know pretty much what you need to know about the 295x2. Or was there a question you wanted to ask in addition? Wink
EuroCanuck

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 04:55:23 AM

I am thinking about buying a used R9 295x2 to stick in a HP that only holds one GPU. I have a 620w PSU in that build. I have 2 semesters left to utilize the electric in college dorms so that power guzzler is really the single greatest hasher I can put in a single PCIe slot. Downside is electric is not cheap in my area and I will be stuck with this card over the summer, I don't think the electric grid in my room could handle that card in one computer, my main computer doing mining when not in use with a GTX1070 which isn't too heavy, and an AC. After I graduate next fall the 295x2 would make for a good room heater at least.

My biggest concern though is that after a year from now the 295x2 won't have any resell value when somenewer GPU can severely beat it on efficiency and still do good on performance

Iv had 2 of them,DO NOT USE IT FOR MINING!! OMG...so many problems with both from thermal throttling (max was like 28mhs/gpu) and melting psu cables. not to mention using 700-800watts mining.you could run 6 rx470s for that power! do yourself a huge favor and crossfire 2 RX480's at the very most if you feel the need for dual GPU's. 31mhs each and nice gamers.personally i prefer the rx470's. good luck!
PovertyByte (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 05:56:21 AM

Iv had 2 of them,DO NOT USE IT FOR MINING!! OMG...so many problems with both from thermal throttling (max was like 28mhs/gpu) and melting psu cables. not to mention using 700-800watts mining.you could run 6 rx470s for that power! do yourself a huge favor and crossfire 2 RX480's at the very most if you feel the need for dual GPU's. 31mhs each and nice gamers.personally i prefer the rx470's. good luck!

So much for the 500 watt TDP, and only running a GTX 1070 right now I simply do not know if I can run the power limit at 50% on AMD cards like I can with the 1070 and go efficient. That 620w PSU wont be handling that in this case

Not to mention I question if the card has resale value after the year of use is up. I can't do dual RX480's in that HP though. If the RX490 were actually out that would probably be the smart purchase for this but they may as well rebrand that to the 500 at this point
antantti
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 03:37:25 PM

So much for the 500 watt TDP, and only running a GTX 1070 right now I simply do not know if I can run the power limit at 50% on AMD cards like I can with the 1070 and go efficient. That 620w PSU wont be handling that in this case

Not to mention I question if the card has resale value after the year of use is up. I can't do dual RX480's in that HP though. If the RX490 were actually out that would probably be the smart purchase for this but they may as well rebrand that to the 500 at this point

620W psu is perfectly fine for 295x2 if you know what you are doing. Undervolting, separate pcie power cables from psu, push+pull fans should keep you under 75c which is thermal throttling limit. If primary target is to get highest possible hash from one pcie slot 295x2/ pro duo is your only option.

PovertyByte (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 09:18:58 PM

620W psu is perfectly fine for 295x2 if you know what you are doing. Undervolting, separate pcie power cables from psu, push+pull fans should keep you under 75c which is thermal throttling limit. If primary target is to get highest possible hash from one pcie slot 295x2/ pro duo is your only option.

The case that HP is stuffed in has excellent cooling. I used it to mine with my GTX 1070 when the PSU in my main computer got shocked on traveling and it could run higher TDP's at cooler temps. I wonder if I should get a used computer with 3x PCIe slots and run 3 1060's in it instead but I can't afford that right now. I am not confident that card may stay cool during the summer and if my room can handle that plus an AC.

I'm unsure if I will be able to sell a power guzzling 295x2 in a year and a half from now as well. The resale value is a factor.

What do you mean by pro duo?
TheRider

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 12:18:26 AM

The case that HP is stuffed in has excellent cooling. I used it to mine with my GTX 1070 when the PSU in my main computer got shocked on traveling and it could run higher TDP's at cooler temps. I wonder if I should get a used computer with 3x PCIe slots and run 3 1060's in it instead but I can't afford that right now. I am not confident that card may stay cool during the summer and if my room can handle that plus an AC.

Not a lot of computers our there with 3 x PCI-E slots and the correct spacing (1-4-7) to run three cards unfortunately. In fact I've been searching for a while and haven't found one. Your best bet is to build it using a mobo that can support 1-4-7 configurations.

I'm unsure if I will be able to sell a power guzzling 295x2 in a year and a half from now as well. The resale value is a factor.

Anything can be sold at the right market price. I'm pretty sure a 295x2 can hit ROI in under a year.

What do you mean by pro duo?

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/radeon-pro-duo
antantti
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 02:01:30 AM

Anything can be sold at the right market price. I'm pretty sure a 295x2 can hit ROI in under a year.

If it does $1/day on average for the next 365 days you will ROI in one year if you paid $365 for it (power cost=0). If I had to guess, resale value for 295x2 year and a half from now should be somewhere in $100-150 range easily.

With 620W psu you would need to run it somewhere in 55/eth, 580/zec, 1600/xmr range.

If's, should's and somewhere's. Do your math ))
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: