Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:35:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet.dat technical problem  (Read 490 times)
The_Economist (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 09:08:18 AM

i am a newbie to this forum. Actually this is my first thread/topic.

the problem comes with losing the private password and haven't noted the seed phrase as i am now not able to access the wallet. is there a chance to get the wallet decrypt? just out of curiosity, could there be a chance to help with my wallet.dat. The wallet is set up in electrum.

Thank you for replies

The_Economist

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4919

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2017, 09:11:37 AM

i am a newbie to this forum. Actually this is my first thread/topic.

the problem comes with losing the private password and haven't noted the seed phrase as i am now not able to access the wallet. is there a chance to get the wallet decrypt? just out of curiosity, could there be a chance to help with my wallet.dat. The wallet is set up in electrum.

Thank you for replies

The_Economist

First of all: welcome to the forum...
Second note: move this topic to the correct subforum, it should be in alternative clients -> electrum. Moving it to the correct subforum will drastically increase your chance of getting help.

Left bottom corner => move topic => chose the correct subforum Wink

As for your question: there have been some people who successfully brute forced their electrum wallets, altough they did have a basic idear of what their password must have been.
If you chose a strong password, and you have no clue what it might have been, chances of recovery are (very) slim.

For the sollution, i can only quote btchris
I'm pretty late in responding here, but I thought I'd do so anyways.

There is (at least) one tool that can attempt brute-forcing an Electrum wallet, it's available here: https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover.

The Quick Start is here: https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#btcrecover-tutorial

Of course, it's pretty much useless if you have no idea what your password is, but if you do have an idea it might help. (Full disclosure: I'm the author of that tool.)

If anyone has any questions about it, just let me know.

I've never used his tool, nor have i checked it for backdoors, so do your own research before trying it Smiley

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
The_Economist (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 09:17:25 AM

Thank you mocacinno,

for prediction on technical stage.

I'll move the thread/ have not got a clue where exactly to write the problem

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 09:20:10 AM

There is btcrecover[1] and Its probably the most updated recovery tool out there but you should have at least an idea about your seed or password , If you don't know absolutely nothing about them and they are hard then you probably have no chance recovering them .

[1] https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
The_Economist (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 10:05:13 AM

Firts thank you for the tools mentioned!

i don't want to be uncourtly but i actually do not have the time to do the cracking myself, i watch for someone who can hopefully crack the wallet and whom, of course, i will pay a commission.

Second, i do have clue what the password could be. 'Lost' is the false word and is confusing, i just can't remember the password. In my vague memory
i should have used only two special chracters ('/', '#') and the rest upper letters and numbers, the whole thing is around ten digits.

Do also wtite me if this is only unrealistic, as i hope to find a way out of trouble.

Thank you for replies

The_Economist
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4919

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2017, 10:15:55 AM

I have a spare server i could run for a couple of days, using btcrecover, altough, since it would be time consuming to set everything up, and a dedicated server isn't free either... So i would require a reasonable fee.

Also, i don't know if i'm trusted enough for this, since the process would require you to send me the wallet file and everything you can remember about the password.

It boils down to this:
If you trust me enough, give me a reasonable fee, the wallet file and everything you can remember about your password, i can try to brute force it on a spare server.
I can not guarantee i'll be able to crack the password, it depends on your input. If your only input is ~10 upper/lowercase letters and maybe 2 special characters, i guess the chance of recovery is smaller than when you could tell me which words would defenately be in your password, etc.

Let me know if you're interested, i wouldn't blame you if you're not (i don't have green trust).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 10:16:46 AM

I don't want to speak on his behalf but I guess shorena[1] is doing this , at least from what I saw in some of his posts. He is trusted enough so I guess there is nothing to be worried about. I suggest that you contact him.

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=181801

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
The_Economist (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 03:19:20 PM

Thank you for your hint.

I have contacted shorena, lets see how things will develope.

mocacinno, thank you for your offer, please understand, i will first await a reply from shorena, as he probably has the better capacities,  before i appeal to you.

Tahnk you all again
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2017, 03:42:13 PM

-snip-
Second, i do have clue what the password could be. 'Lost' is the false word and is confusing, i just can't remember the password. In my vague memory
i should have used only two special chracters ('/', '#') and the rest upper letters and numbers, the whole thing is around ten digits.

Do also wtite me if this is only unrealistic, as i hope to find a way out of trouble.
-snip-

I got your PM, but I thought it makes more sense to reply here. 26 upper letters + 10 numbers + 2 special would be 38 symbols. Lets assume 10 digits for simplicity that would be 3810 ~= 6.27*1015 even more if we had to check 8, 9 and possibly 11, 12 digits. Assuming this is an electrum wallet (even though 'wallet.dat' is unusual for electrum) I can do ~0.5MPass/s maybe more. Brute Forcing such a password would take me ~398 years. Unless you know significantly more about the password, there is no reason for me to start.

If you dont know more you can try to contact dave -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=240779.0
AFAIK they have more powerful hardware than my measly desktop machine and might be willing to try.

A 3rd option is that I can help you setup btcrecover, if you want to try it yourself regardless of your time constraints. The tool does not have to run all the time and can continue after a break for little cost (in time).

Feel free to send me another PM if you want to keep something private.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
The_Economist (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 09:40:56 AM

I have a spare server i could run for a couple of days, using btcrecover, altough, since it would be time consuming to set everything up, and a dedicated server isn't free either... So i would require a reasonable fee.

Also, i don't know if i'm trusted enough for this, since the process would require you to send me the wallet file and everything you can remember about the password.

It boils down to this:
If you trust me enough, give me a reasonable fee, the wallet file and everything you can remember about your password, i can try to brute force it on a spare server.
I can not guarantee i'll be able to crack the password, it depends on your input. If your only input is ~10 upper/lowercase letters and maybe 2 special characters, i guess the chance of recovery is smaller than when you could tell me which words would defenately be in your password, etc.

Let me know if you're interested, i wouldn't blame you if you're not (i don't have green trust).

Thank you mocaccino for your offer. Shorena and i agreed for a deal upon the problem. Thank you that you first gave me this unique offer.
When you sad trusting you is not on your behalf i struggeld with your server capacities as this is all in all a very costly way for you providing and setting up everything- it is not about your trust or no trust. The wallet is just useless to me at this stage, so i cannot do anything with the money in.

Thank you again
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2017, 10:39:02 AM

It boils down to this:

Thank you mocaccino for your offer. Shorena and i agreed for a deal upon the problem. Thank you that you first gave me this unique offer.
When you sad trusting you is not on your behalf i struggeld with your server capacities as this is all in all a very costly way for you providing and setting up everything- it is not about your trust or no trust. The wallet is just useless to me at this stage, so i cannot do anything with the money in.

Thank you again

I confirm to have received the wallet file and currently btcrecover is working on significantly smaller subset of the possible passwords discussed above. 1,757,600,000 to be exact.

The_Economist (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 11:21:49 AM

Hope btcrecover will suceed.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2017, 11:54:29 AM

Hope btcrecover will suceed.

Send you a mail once it was done, sadly not. Feel free to send me another pattern I should try.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: