Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:36:11 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brainstorming about Alternative Mining Incentives  (Read 328 times)
alkan (OP)

Activity: 149
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 08:02:27 PM
Last edit: January 11, 2017, 09:11:44 PM by alkan

It is widely accepted that a cryptocurrency (whether based on PoW, PoS or anything else) must offer some form of incentive to mine/mint/create blocks.

I'm collecting any forms of mining incentives that exist or that you can think of. Out-of-the-box proposals are welcome, no matter how peculiar they might be.
I'm not looking for viable solutions at this stage, just seeking new ideas to dwell on.

Let me start with my own suggestions, including some well-known incentives:
- Transaction fees
- Increased priority of your transactions
- Fixed amount of the coin whose blockchain you're mining on
- Fixed amount of some other currency
- Percentage/interest on your stake
- No or reduced negative interest (i.e. you have to create a certain number of blocks/time in order to prevent or reduce a negative interest on your stake)
- Reduction of the transaction fees that you have to pay for your own transactions
- Reduction of the transaction fees that others have to pay when sending you money
- Increase the capacity of your account to keep coins (requires that the number of accounts is limited in a Sybil-proof way)
- Increase the transaction per hour/per account limit (requires that the number of accounts is limited in a Sybil-proof way)
- Right to create new accounts (requires that the number of accounts is limited in a Sybil-proof way)
- Right to make a special kind of transactions, i.e. anonymous transactions

Thanks for your contributions!
alkan (OP)

Activity: 149
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 05:51:12 PM

Any ideas?
freigeist

Activity: 1107
Merit: 534

View Profile