Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 09:07:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [AUCTION - finished]Casascius 0.1 Physical Bitcoin - Value Discussion  (Read 1517 times)
Hiroaki (OP)

Activity: 404
Merit: 270

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 08:31:31 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2017, 03:40:27 PM by Hiroaki

Casascius 0.1 Physical Bitcoin

Coin was originally funded by Mike (Casascius).
Funded with 0.1BTC

Starting Bid: 0.0 BTC (shipping is paid by buyer, package can be insured if buyer wants it; coin is packed in capsule and will be shipped in a jiffy bag)
Increments: 0.05 BTC

Auction will be valid until Saturday, January 14th, 2017 7:00 pm New York Time (1:00 am in Stockholm)
Auction is finished if there is minimum difference of 30 minutes between last offers.

miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 08:32:56 PM

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
digicoinuser
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 1072

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 08:33:34 PM

0.15BTC

miffman
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 08:34:18 PM

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
TMAN
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1808

Exchange Bitcoin quickly-https://blockchain.com.do

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2017, 08:37:12 PM

0.25BTC

███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████
██████████▀▄███████████████
██████████████████████████
.FORTUNEJACK   JOIN INVINCIBLE JACKMATE AND WIN......10 BTC........
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀██████
█████  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄  █████
█████  █████ █████  █████
█████  ██▄     ▄██  █████
█████  ████   ████  █████
█████▄  ██▄▄█▄▄██  ▄█████
██████▄  ███████  ▄██████
███████▄   ▀▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▄▄ ▄▄██████████
dumbchump

Activity: 496
Merit: 264

In memory of Zepher

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 09:05:14 PM

.3BTC
AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1348

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 10:43:56 PM

How many of these coins do you have?  Cheesy
If we can agree on a price I'd be happy to buy one outright without having to go through an auction.
PM coming your way Smiley
Hiroaki (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 05:38:03 PM

bump

LazerViking

Activity: 261
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 05:55:01 PM

.35 btc
Candsno8

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 11:58:18 PM

roterdam

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

interested to BUY CASASCIUS

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 12:12:59 AM

0.45 BTC it is not over
Candsno8

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 12:17:06 AM

HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2017, 06:51:35 AM

Why do these tenths always go for significantly higher multiple than the halves or full coins?

It's never made sense to me. A silver half will go for 0.95 yet this tenth is already up to .3.

Beautiful coins. The market is always hot but so hard to predict.
Candsno8

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 07:01:37 AM

Maybe relative scarcity

Gatorelf

Activity: 845
Merit: 267

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 06:23:20 PM

Numismatic value, no Casascius collection is complete without one Smiley
miffman
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 06:26:58 PM

Why do these tenths always go for significantly higher multiple than the halves or full coins?

It's never made sense to me. A silver half will go for 0.95 yet this tenth is already up to .3.

What minerjones said is definitely true. But I think it's also important to note that with funded cryptocoins, there is no such thing as a face value multiplier to get to the market value. Cas silver singles ranged between 2-4x while brass singles range between 1-2x. So rather just think of it as supply and demand for the current value Smiley

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
HabBear

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2017, 05:12:00 AM

No need for a book to look up the current count of active Casascius coins - here's a site that provides the most current count. It updates as soon as a coin is redeemed, whereas Elias' book (while it is a fantastic collection of history) is a point in time number, and therefore can become stale.

Casascius Coin Count: http://www.spotcoins.com/bitcoin/casascius

As for the run-up on the price of the tenths, scarcity should certainly play a part. However there are other BTC1 coins with lower mintage numbers, so it's not a perfect correlation. I still believe there is some illogical premium placed on the tenths and the halves that doesn't get realized with the full coins.

Maybe relative scarcity

These are perfect questions to look up in your copy of the Encyclopedia of Bitcoins......

The 0.5BTC Silver coins had 886 of the Series 3 hologram (which this is one). There were also 45 of the Series 2 hologram
The 0.1BTC Silver coins had 809 of the Series 3 hologram.

.....Plenty of books available if you don't have one Wink
HabBear

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2017, 05:19:41 AM

Not quite true, the multiplier is exactly what you've stated it is for each coin. The truth is that there doesn't have to be the same multiplier between different types of coins but each coin does have a multiplier if people are willing to play more than face and a buyer can use that multiplier range to arrive at a fair bid/ask price.

E.g., you list the multiplier for the silver singles at 2-4x and the brass singles at 1-2x...two different types of coins, different mintages, etc. It's fair that these multipliers would be different. And in this example the silvers have an active mintage of 1292 and the brass range in the 5000-6000 range.

To MY example, a better test is if the multiplier between two coins with the same active mintage differs greatly - Sliver tenths and Silver halves (2013 series 3) have nearly the same mintage, yet I bet the tenths have a significantly higher multiplier across most sales. Just doesn't make sense to me...it's an inefficiency in the marketplace.

What minerjones said is definitely true. But I think it's also important to note that with funded cryptocoins, there is no such thing as a face value multiplier to get to the market value. Cas silver singles ranged between 2-4x while brass singles range between 1-2x. So rather just think of it as supply and demand for the current value Smiley

EDIT: I just realized another reason why the run-up is higher with the tenths, particularly with auctions...it could be driven by the minimum incremental bid. The increment for a whol coin is usually BTC0.1, whereas this auction is at BTC0.05...50% of the minimum increment for a whole coin, yet the coin for this auction is a tenth of the face value! To get a fair bidding situation we'd need the minimum incremental bid for the tenth to be at BTC0.01.
Hiroaki (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2017, 03:43:14 PM

I don't think there is an inefficiency in the market.
The 0.1 coin just sells better because it is more affordable and thus has a higher sales range.

There are many people that would like to own a Casascius coin, but not everybody can spend 1 BTC for it.
My opinion  Smiley

Not quite true, the multiplier is exactly what you've stated it is for each coin. The truth is that there doesn't have to be the same multiplier between different types of coins but each coin does have a multiplier if people are willing to play more than face and a buyer can use that multiplier range to arrive at a fair bid/ask price.

E.g., you list the multiplier for the silver singles at 2-4x and the brass singles at 1-2x...two different types of coins, different mintages, etc. It's fair that these multipliers would be different. And in this example the silvers have an active mintage of 1292 and the brass range in the 5000-6000 range.

To MY example, a better test is if the multiplier between two coins with the same active mintage differs greatly - Sliver tenths and Silver halves (2013 series 3) have nearly the same mintage, yet I bet the tenths have a significantly higher multiplier across most sales. Just doesn't make sense to me...it's an inefficiency in the marketplace.

EDIT: I just realized another reason why the run-up is higher with the tenths, particularly with auctions...it could be driven by the minimum incremental bid. The increment for a whol coin is usually BTC0.1, whereas this auction is at BTC0.05...50% of the minimum increment for a whole coin, yet the coin for this auction is a tenth of the face value! To get a fair bidding situation we'd need the minimum incremental bid for the tenth to be at BTC0.01.

Lesbian Cow
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 1752

View Profile
January 17, 2017, 05:07:36 PM

I think Hiroaki has the correct answer.  There are more buyers for the 0.1 as it is a lower price point to enter the cas market so the premiums are higher due to a larger pool of buyers.

Similar to the 1/10 oz Gold Lunars/American Gold Eagles/Maples etc have a higher premium than the 1 oz versions of the same coins.

To err is human, to moo is bovine

https://www.instagram.com/lesbiancow212/
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: