Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:21:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are ALL the ways to store bitcoin wallets?  (Read 4368 times)
uyjulian (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:48:46 PM
Last edit: April 12, 2013, 06:40:32 PM by uyjulian

Here:

floppy dicks
tape
ssd
sd card
hard drive
punched hole paper
cd
usb flash drive
zip drive
dvd
bd
xd
memory stick
mmc
cf
paper

what else? there's a lot more...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:51:25 PM

Here:

floppy dicks
tape
ssd
sd card
hard drive
punched hole paper
cd
usb flash drive
zip drive
dvd
bd
xd
memory stick
mmc
cf
paper

what else? there's a lot more...

Brain, for those who have it.
DNA
Laser-etched glass.
Acoustic delay line
Freenet
Essentially, any way to store information is a way to store private keys.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
frozen

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 06:16:05 PM

Bitcoins aren't actually themselves stored anywhere.

What you need to store is a private key that the bitcoin network says has coins associated with it.

That private key is just a string of data, That can be stored anywhere data can be stored.

uyjulian (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 06:40:45 PM

Bitcoins aren't actually themselves stored anywhere.

What you need to store is a private key that the bitcoin network says has coins associated with it.

That private key is just a string of data, That can be stored anywhere data can be stored.
Yes; I know that.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 08:18:56 PM
Last edit: April 12, 2013, 08:35:37 PM by ArticMine

Here are some of my favourites:

1) Floppy disks both the 3.5in and 5.25in variety. I have not tried it with 8in floppies yet  Wink  Wallet.dat will easily fit on a 3.5in or 5.25 in floppy disk even the old 360 KB 5.25in floppies. With 8in floppies in principle it could be done with a carefully constructed wallet.dat small enough to fit on an 8in floppy. The more the better. Rename the file extension to something innocuous such as an obscure propriety Windows word processing program. Also consider changing the last changed date on the file to a date before Gavin was born.
2) USB 3.0 external hard drives. Ironically I have not used USB 2.0 devices to back up my BTC.
3) Encrypt the file with Truecrypt or some other encryption program. Then store the cypher-text file on multiple cloud services such as Google, Live / Hotmail, Ubuntu One, MEGA etc. The more the better. Diversify across multiple jurisdictions Rename the file extension to something innocuous such as an obscure propriety Windows word processing program.
4) (1) and (2) with the floppy and / or USB external drive stored away from your home, such as bank safety deposit box, car, friend or relative, workplace etc.
5) Back up the encrypted cypher-text file across multiple computers, laptops tablets, smart-phones  etc. Include all computers and devices you regularly use. If malware is a concern for example a Microsoft Windows computer, do not decrypt the file on that computer or transfer the file back to a computer where the coins can be spent except as a last resort where all other backups have failed.  Also include old and vintage computers if you have them, these are an excellent for this purpose. How many current bitcoin stealing malware applications run on a 286 processor or on an old Windows 3.1 computer?

The idea is to be able to access your BTC in all sorts of scenarios ranging from a simple hard disk failure to having to flee your home, city and even country with nothing but the shirt on your back.

*** Very Important ***

Last but not least ensure that your loved ones / and or executors of your estate can access your BTC after your demise in all sorts of scenarios ranging from a simple hard disk failure to having to flee their homes, cities and even countries with nothing but their shirts on their backs.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 08:38:28 PM

How many places can you think to store a short string of numbers?

Convert to binary, make a binary painting for your wall.
Tattoo.
Write it in the wet cement of the foundation of your house before building it.
Piece of paper in a safe deposit box.
Hidden in a jpeg.
E-mail it to yourself through "future me".
Etch it into something you wear, ring, dog collars, necklace, etc.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
lettucebee

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 09:08:48 PM

5) Back up the encrypted cypher-text file across multiple computers, laptops tablets, smart-phones  etc. Include all computers and devices you regularly use. If malware is a concern for example a Microsoft Windows computer, do not decrypt the file on that computer or transfer the file back to a computer where the coins can be spent except as a last resort where all other backups have failed.  Also include old and vintage computers if you have them, these are an excellent for this purpose. How many current bitcoin stealing malware applications run on a 286 processor or on an old Windows 3.1 computer?

The idea is to be able to access your BTC in all sorts of scenarios ranging from a simple hard disk failure to having to flee your home, city and even country with nothing but the shirt on your back.

*** Very Important ***

Last but not least ensure that your loved ones / and or executors of your estate can access your BTC after your demise in all sorts of scenarios ranging from a simple hard disk failure to having to flee their homes, cities and even countries with nothing but their shirts on their backs.

That was helpful, thanks.  I use Truecrypt, but I don't like it--too complicated--things like 'mount' and 'dismount' are sort of alien, I wouldn't be able to teach my family that very easily.  That it's open source is good though.

Plus, I'm paranoid that I'm somehow screwing up whenever I overwrite the old wallet!

▄██████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████▄
█████▀              ▀█████
▄████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▀████▄
▀█████▄    ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
▀█████▄    ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
█▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█████████▀  ▄█
██▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█████▀  ▄██
███▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█▀  ▄███
▀███▄  ▀█████▄     ▄███▀
▀████▄  ▀████▀  ▄████▀
█████▄  ▀▀  ▄█████
▀█████▄  ▄█████▀
▀█████  █████▀
▀████████▀
██████
▀██▀
E R N
               ▄▄█████████▄▄
           ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
        ▄███████▀▀       ▀▀███████▄
       █████▀▀               ▀▀█████
     ▄████▀    ▄▄█████████▄▄    ▀████▄
    ████▀   ▄█████████████████▄   ▀████
   ████    █████████████████████    ████
 █████    ███████  ▀█████████████    █████
█████    █████████    ▀███████████    █████
████    ▄██████████▄     ▀████████▄    ████
████    █████████████       ███████    ████
████    ▀██████████▀     ▄████████▀    ████
█████    █████████    ▄███████████    █████
 █████    ███████  ▄█████████████    █████
           █████████████████████
            ▀█████████████████▀
               ▀▀█████████▀▀
████
████

████
████

████
████

████
████
TOKEN SALE
AIRDROP
                              ████
                              ████

████
          ████            ████  ████

████            ████  ████
          ████  ████  ████  ████  ████

████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
  ▬▬   GET IN TOUCH   ▬▬ 
TELEGRAM  FACEBOOK  TWITTER
YOUTUBE   INSTAGRAM
uyjulian (OP)

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 12:09:33 AM

Got a new one:

WORM Drive
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 01:38:32 AM

*** Very Important ***

That was helpful, thanks.  I use Truecrypt, but I don't like it--too complicated--things like 'mount' and 'dismount' are sort of alien, I wouldn't be able to teach my family that very easily.  That it's open source is good though.

Plus, I'm paranoid that I'm somehow screwing up whenever I overwrite the old wallet!

Use PySkein then http://pythonhosted.org/pyskein/ it was a NIST3 finalist and designed by Bruce Schneier and some other ppl. "pyskein threefish encrypt <filename>"   "pyskein threefish decrypt <filename>"

It produces a copy called wallet.dat.3f and leaves the original untouched if you want, or encrypts the original depending on your settings. I use it to encrypt 1 TB Virtualbox .VDI drives of software I'm working on and it flies compared to SHA256 AES.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 01:39:05 AM

Never knew you could store BTC on floppy dicks.

EtherDais

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 01:43:52 AM

NFC tags, ala: https://www.bitmit.net/en/item/20612-3d-printed-nfc-enabled-bitcoin-simulacra
niko

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 02:20:23 AM

Skywriting.

niko

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 02:24:42 AM

Dip-pen nanolithography

drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 06:15:01 AM

Tattoos have been mentioned already.

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
niko

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 06:24:39 AM

Morse code memorized for whistling, and passed on from one generation to the next. I know, it;s just another form of brainwallet, and a retarded one for that matter.

mintybits

Activity: 27

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 07:20:51 AM

Morse code memorized for whistling, and passed on from one generation to the next. I know, it;s just another form of brainwallet, and a retarded one for that matter.

I think you'd have a problem with capitals letters using morse code.  It may not provide the highest security, but I bet you won't loose it if you mow it into your lawn like these people did (just make sure it's encrypted):

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/davidthier/files/2012/09/img_9933_0001.jpg
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 07:43:38 AM

But hard to read when it's floppy....

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
mrbrt

Activity: 707

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 01:55:18 PM

Here:

floppy dicks

mrbrt

Activity: 707

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 01:57:56 PM

But hard to read when it's floppy....

fuck - i had this loaded and didn't comment on it last nite. i looked at it this morning and still didn't see anyone pointing out the floppy dicks - forgot to refresh before my piss poor re-quote with a lack of commentary.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 02:33:10 PM

RAR your latest or updated wallet.dat file with 10% recovery record, and your nice long 30 character password. Install Dropbox in 20 computers, tablets, phones, ipods, etc. Sync. Email it to yourself.

For physical storage, embroider the private key on a piece of cloth, then stitch it under your shirt where it is not seen, or on the pockets or pants or other clothes you wear.

Get a money belt, they have spaces to hide real money, should be no problem to hide little pieces of laminated paper with your private keys.

Dog Tag.

Physical photo album. Hide it behind some pictures.

Handwritten in an old book. Use black oil based ink, not those water based ones. Optionally paint over it with clear nail polish.

Carve it into a wood sculpture. Or just plain carve it into anything wooden, like under you baby's crib or something.

Make some pottery statue with the private key inside, then seal it shut. They do this with drugs like in the series Lost.

Hide it in a hollowed out wax candle. Then melt the cover with more wax so it is also sealed.

Time capsule.

Engrave it on your gun (if you are into firearms). They will get your bitcoins when they pry your gun from your cold dead hands.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: